What's new

Sync folders on PC to NAS on a different network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ubulord

New Around Here
I'd be very thankful if anyone could help me here. I've just bought a QNAP and I want to do the following:
a) place the QNAP on my holiday home
b) backup folders on my PC to NAS (it will be on a different network, 100 km away)
c) I can't use QNAP's own backup program (NetBak Replicator) because instead of backing up "Test" (on my PC) to "Test" (on the QNAP) it instead creates an unwanted path on the QNAP - "\\NASXXXXX\Test\NetBakData\PSM@DESKTOP-XXXXX\Disk G\Test". This artificial path renders the backup useless for my intended purposes.
d) some backup/sync software also create unwanted paths (like NetBak Replicator does) but some don't. I always use the ones that don't, like FreeFileSync or Goodsync, but I've only used those to backup to USB, never to a NAS on a different network.
e) although I'm very proficient with computers I have zero experience with stuff like SFTP, FTP, etc., so any configuration to allow FreeFileSync or Goodsync to backup to the QNAP on a different network will need to be explained in detail and step by step.
f) alternatively, if there is any way of making NetBak Replicator behave normally and not create artificial paths that would also be a viable solution
Thanks in advance for any help
Pedro

Last edited:
For this sort of scenario, I personally use Beyond Compare. I have a corporate version so I'm not sure of any limitations or if there is a free version, but it allows me to create scripts and run them via Task Scheduler (Windows). I'm sure other solutions exist, but you don't seem to be getting many other replies yet.

Between Linux-based devices I use Rsync but Beyond Compare is my tool for Windows-NAS and NAS-Cloud syncing.

Does it need to be a backup or would you like them to be synced? The big difference is one changes the moment you make a change vs run a backup once a week or something. If your ok with using sync then the qsync app should do what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your suggestions. In the meantime, I've reached the conclusion that what I really need is for the QNAP (from 100 km away) to appear on my PC desktop as an (fake) external drive, so that I can use whatever backup (yes, it's backup, not sync) software I want, without being dependant on QNAP apps. Apparently there are several ways of accomplishing this (mostly using VPN) but their implementation seems to be quite complex. There are some tutorials out there suggesting the use of WebDAV though; it looks simple and it has the added advantage that you don't have to mess with router configurations on both ends (it uses ports 80, 8080 or 8081, which are already open, because they are used by web browsers). Unfortunately, I must be doing something wrong because I haven't been able to make this thing work...

Yea what you are looking to do is best done through a vpn. It really isn’t that complicated to set up though. You can use your Qnap to do it or you can buy any mid grade router to be a vpn server. I’ve personally used netgear and asus and they both work great. The biggest drawback I see to that is you’ll have to turn the vpn on to do backups or always leave it on and (most likely) take a hit in internet speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk