What's new

Backup to QNAP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

T_William_N

New Around Here
I've just bought a QNAP and I want to backup folders on my PC to NAS (it will be on a different network, 300 km away), the problem is that I can't use NetBak Replicator because of the unwanted path on the QNAP and this artificial path render the backup useless for my intended purposes.
I always use the ones that don't create unwanted paths, like FreeFileSync or Syncthing but I've only used those to backup to External Harddrive, never to a NAS on a different network.
I don't have the knowledge of use FreeFileSync or Syncthing to backup to the QNAP on a different network will need to be explained in detail and step by step or if there is any way of making NetBak Replicator behave normally and not create artificial paths that would also be a viable (actually preferable) solution.
Also, I have some long file paths, So I would like to have the ability to copy long pathname (260+ characters) and to have it run on schedule without you having to worry about opening the app or not, and I need a way to have it email me or notify me so that I will know it is always running on time.
I am ensuring if I will have these features or not while backing up to QNAP !! Also, any suggestions for alternatives are welcome but to be something easy and quick.
thanks in advance

I would be very careful (i.e. don't do it) if you have the qnap nas open to the internet. Although you don't specify, as it is not directly related, I would hope that the nas is connecting behind a vpn. That should be your primary concern, and it may help simplify your backup scenario.

Personally I use a combination of Beyond Compare, rsync and google drive to create and manage my backups and syncs, so can't really offer any advice beyond that.

Sorry, I don't have anything specific to point you to. Each app works differently and can be applied in different ways.

Break your tasks down into simple steps and treat each as a project to build a final cohesive solution that works for your environment.

If the tools you already have have won't do the job, there are others out there. Google drive may be a simple way to start but it depends on the amount of data you want to backup too.

I haven't looked at it personally, but maybe the qnap HBS option will also be able to help you.

I would be very careful (i.e. don't do it) if you have the qnap nas open to the internet. Although you don't specify, as it is not directly related, I would hope that the nas is connecting behind a vpn. That should be your primary concern, and it may help simplify your backup scenario.

@T_William_N

This is the advice that should be followed.

For me I use Resilo to do tasks similar to the mentioned - I have it running on my server at home and a NAS at my parent's house, and it just syncs them both on an ongoing basis. It's really simple to set up, It's been excellent for me. Also, you can search for a tool called "Gs RichCopy 360" which recommended by a colleague as an alternative to Resilo for the QNAB backups .Many tools are there but I don't know more tools that can do these tasks
just search both