What's new

Synology DS213Air vs DS213 wifi setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nickfit

New Around Here
I am down to these two options for my first NAS setup.
I will be using the wifi feature of this NAS so i'll be buying a USB dongle for the DS213. I want to connect the NAS directly to my Macbook Pro so I can quickly run time machine backups. I would like to use the wifi feature to wirelessly connect to my router and modem, stream movies and files to my media tv, smart tv and other friends laptops. I need connect my NAS wirelessly to my router and modem because the router/motem is in a different room and unfortunately no direct ethernet cable connection is possible.

Is this set up possible (Laptop to NAS through ethernet/ NAS to Modem & Router via wifi) ?
I assume I can connect the ethernet cable to more than one macbook pro to perform time machine back ups. is this correct?
Do any of you have experience adding a wireless dongle to an existing Synology NAS server? Is the connection flakey?

Any advice and thoughts would be appreciated!

thanks!
John

Buy the ds213 and a good pair of home plugs to connect it to your router. Will be faster, more stable and won't bog down your wireless connection.