What's new

Synology Quick Connect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
I just installed my Synology DS120j and it seemed to require me to setup for the internet connecting to somewhere I assume in the US. Do you think it is a good idea to connect to an internet Synology server? I don't know if I will need that feature. I am thinking about it. If I can't install without Quick connect I can block Synology NAS at the router so it will not pass out to the internet. I can open up for updates.

I wouldn't.

I assume it is similar to what QNAP offers. If it is, then it isn't necessary and would be a potential point of entry. Running your own VPN if you want to access your data would be a better approach.

I do not run it. I already OpenVPN setup on my firewall for my remote access which is how I get to my NAS when not at home.

I'm sure it is handy dandy for many, but I don't want to continue to add multiple paths into my network or my data that I have to worry about supporting and securing. My data exists in Google already and I have VPN access back to my house when needed.

I agree with the above as a security risk. The problem I am seeing is it seems like there is no way to setup the ds120j NAS without a outside internet connection. I have included an attachment for the web assistant. It seems like the ds120j NAS maintains an outside internet connection kind of like a IoT device. I am not crazy about this. Does anybody know more? I am thinking the only way I can use this device is to add a router block in the router for the NAS.

Is this the way all Synology NAS devices are?

PS
I tried to leave the outside internet registration blank but web assistant would not take it.

PSS
Look at rule 6. Does it mean that admin and blank will grant access to my NAS which is out on the internet?

Attachments

• Capture10.PNG
    Capture10.PNG
    158.6 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
That is just for those that don't want to or don't know how to find the IP of their NAS on their own. There is a browser discovery component that will take care if for you if you do it this way. Just go look at your DHCP logs, find the IP, and open it directly in your browser.

Mine is setup in my internal DNS so absolutely no need for the Web Assistant.

That is just for those that don't want to or don't know how to find the IP of their NAS on their own. There is a browser discovery component that will take care if for you if you do it this way. Just go look at your DHCP logs, find the IP, and open it directly in your browser.

Mine is setup in my internal DNS so absolutely no need for the Web Assistant.

Sounds good. I will reset the unit and access it by IP. I guess I can use the button on the back.