What's new

Synology RAID1 performance concern

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hrfrank

New Around Here
Been reading the Synology NAS reviews by Craig Ellison for the DS216+ and DS716+. He cites quite the variance of RAID1 read and write performance between the two models even though the 716+ is quad-core vs. dual-core for the 216+. Other than that they are almost the same unit but, 216+ performs better and is about $150 cheaper. Interested in the 216+, but Synology also released the 216+ii due to not having sufficient CPU chips.

I am curious if the DS216+ii performs more like the 216+ or the DS716+. Are there any RAID1 benchmarks for the DS216+ii to compare?

Been reading the Synology NAS reviews by Craig Ellison for the DS216+ and DS716+. He cites quite the variance of RAID1 read and write performance between the two models even though the 716+ is quad-core vs. dual-core for the 216+. Other than that they are almost the same unit but, 216+ performs better and is about $150 cheaper. Interested in the 216+, but Synology also released the 216+ii due to not having sufficient CPU chips.

I am curious if the DS216+ii performs more like the 216+ or the DS716+. Are there any RAID1 benchmarks for the DS216+ii to compare?
Why not take a look only between DS216+ii and DS716+ii? Here is a link I think you might have seen, but just to be sure. One reason why 716+ii and 716+ are better than 216+ii is that they have dual LAN ports which can aggregate to make twice the speed, if accessing from different devices at the same time. But I would say that 216+ii should be enough, if you don't run a lot of add-on apps, and there are not many users. One more thing to consider is that 716+ii has 2GB RAM while 216+ii has only 1GB; since the CPU is 64bit, RAM could be a concern.

Btw, what do you really want from this NAS?

I started with a DS209 and then upgraded to a DS712+ for my home use. Usage is mainly for me to organize my life and store all of my entertainment content. I run Crashplan, Sickrage, and several others apps. I will upgrade the RAM so that's not an issue and dual LAN is not required. DS712+ has been very solid. Just want Synology support and their typical 5 year support of DSM is nearing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk