What's new

Synology Remote Support - wanted key/pw over email

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iSeeker

New Around Here
Does anyone else find this egregious and shocking that Synology would request I sent via normal email the support identification key from my router plus my admin password? Also to enable SSH under port 22? This was for them to remote in and fix google safesearch blocking youtube. I like the help with the patch. But there has got to be a better way to securely give them sensitive information.

Good thing I had auto-block on as I got hit 5 times overnight, I assume from bots scanning for port 22. I can't believe this is the method.

Asustor also did the same thing when I required support from them a year or two ago. I simply changed the ssh password to a temp one, gave them access, then changed it back once they were done.