What's new

Synology RT2600ac Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Argue if you like. Qualcomm says its quad-core, so that's what I'm using.

does the fact its one or the other really matter anyway , from what i read a quad ore would not produce and increase in performance as the router still only uses 2 cores at most

Tim have you had the synology running for any period of time and notice a laggy feeling response wise from the gui or general web browsing etc , i have check the cpu and its running at 20% and the memory at 30% so no real load but it just feels not as quick as other routers i have tested , i dont have any packages added nor is traffic control or parental control used , i do however have a usb dongle and an SD card inserted which i will remove shortly and see if it helps

pete

taking out the sd and usb didnt seem to help will try a reboot , its been running for about 6 days now without a restart will see if it helps , also did you notice the router takes a long time to startup longer than most routers i have tested

edit

the restart seems to have fixed it , perhaps there is a mem leak of other issue causing it over a longer term period , might report this to synology

Last edited:
the restart seems to have fixed it , perhaps there is a mem leak of other issue causing it over a longer term period

You said you had the IPS running before. Did you reboot after disabling it? If not, could be a possible explanation. IPS is very memory and CPU intensive.

I have a couple of these with one running in Router mode and wireless disabled. I'm currently testing it in Detection mode and enabled all the default signatures but haven't changed any (if much - can't remember) of the Event Types. I'm probably going to collect logs for about 2 weeks before putting it into Prevention mode.

It's only been running since February 8 and so far no performance issues. The other one in Wireless AP mode has been running since about January 26 with no issues. I'm logging everything throughout router with maximum save time parameters set. Probably overkill but using a Class 10 UHS-I, U3, 95MB rated 64GB SDXC Card.
Current CPU is 24%
Current Memory is 57%
Current storage usage is 1.35GB

Everyone's environment will differ based on devices and usage.

You said you had the IPS running before. Did you reboot after disabling it? If not, could be a possible explanation. IPS is very memory and CPU intensive.

yup disabled and removed the app before restart and will see how it goes for a while without ips on , but with usb first then sd try and see if one of them was causing the issue

I have since 3 weeks the Synology RT-2600-AC Router. However, am I missing some opportunities that other brand routers have.

-No uptime in the GUI (only with SSH command promp, but not so fine, better directly in the GUI)
-No choice for the 40 MHz on the 2,4 GHZ wifi (many others routers have this option)

I hope that these two options in the following new firmware upgrades available is.

Further, many possibilities on this new router.

Last edited:
man that translator you are using must have been designed by yoda lol

-No uptime in the GUI

in the notification section you can have it email you or even sms you if the router status changes

-No choice for the 40 MHz on the 2,4 GHZ wifi (many others routers have this option)

why would you want to do this , its bad for the neighbors as you are using more than half the entire bandwidth of 2.4 gig , if your in an area with no other wifi around you it will set its self to 40mhz

the 2.4 gig standard requires that routers have obss coexistence , the way that synology do it is the same for many routers

Argue if you like. Qualcomm says its quad-core, so that's what I'm using.

Sounds good - two of the cores are available to Linux for general purposes, and two of them are dedicated for switching inside that functional block.

Not that much different that Broadcom claiming Penta-Core on the AC5300 class devices, even though there, 3 of those cores were embedded in the WIFi NIC's, and not available to the Linux BSP.

The Qualcomm IPQ does a good job, and the Krait cores are fairly powerful compared to the Cortex-A9's available on other solutions.

There are several reports of unstable behavior in the amazon reviews that are trickling in. Anyone here having any issues besides the one person who had a temporarily lag in performance?

So for the 2.4 GHz band, the device will autoselect 40 MHz channel width if neighboring signals are weak?

Anyone here having any issues besides the one person who had a temporarily lag in performance?
so far i have gone back and tested with sd card inserted only and vpn plus installed only , nether of these recreated the issue , i will test with usb and ips and see if that causes the issue to replicate , problem is its not happening short term

apart from that the 2600 is behaving and doing its job

So for the 2.4 GHz band, the device will autoselect 40 MHz channel width if neighboring signals are weak?

the other way around , if on startup the router doesnt detect any interference it may use 40mhz , however you would prob need to live in the desert with no neighbors with a few miles and no other 2.4 gig wifi devices being used in your house

That is one of the annoyances of the auto selecting of 40MHz, it pretty much guarantees that most people will never see their router using 40MHz on the 2.4GHz band.

the other way around , if on startup the router doesnt detect any interference it may use 40mhz , however you would prob need to live in the desert with no neighbors with a few miles and no other 2.4 gig wifi devices being used in your house

wide channels will cut the effective range significantly - and in my testing, 20MHz always has the upper hand in real world throughput...

wide channels will cut the effective range significantly - and in my testing, 20MHz always has the upper hand in real world throughput...
In you testing, were there other WiFi? I have a house where there is only my WiFi in range. I am considering between having 20MHz or 40MHz on.

vpn plus installed
Have you tried WebVPN? Is it easy to login? Is it slower than normal?

In you testing, were there other WiFi? I have a house where there is only my WiFi in range. I am considering between having 20MHz or 40MHz on.

Has little to do with adjacent 2.4GHz networks, it's down to physics and PAPR - you loose about 3 dB going wide, and this is reciprocal - as both the client and AP lose that 3dB compared to narrow channels...

3dB is half the power...

in a none beamforming world this would be evident , beamforming changes the playing field

in a none beamforming world this would be evident , beamforming changes the playing field

Beamforming in 2.4GHz rarely comes into play - and vastly overrated - BF in 2.4GHz follows 11n rules, not 11ac rules, and very few clients do this.

This discussion on 40 MHz wide channels on 2.4 GHz is getting way OT but pretty interesting. Why would 40 MHz have lower range? If it consists of two non-overlapping channels bonded together, I don't see a reason for a range reduction, but assuming you are correct, wouldn't the router and client fall back to 20 MHz width if reception became poor with 40 MHz? I imagine its pretty obvious that I'm running 40 MHz. Maybe I'll try dropping back to 20 MHz and see how it affects throughput at the most distant part of my home.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!