What's new

Synology RT2600ac Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

post blocked... worked around...

Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 8.14.10 PM.png

So why is this one rated 1, and netgear 7800 rated 4, seems 7800 still better on most snb tests.
Synology had better 2.4 GHz performance. Check the charts or click the "Performance" link in the ranker entry to see the sub-ranks.

Hey why isn't anyone comparing the Synology AC2600 and Netgear 7800 to the Asus BRT-AC828 -- i found this Asus today by accident on the 'net -- its an AC2600 class router 4 antenna, MIMO, VPN, 8 LAN ports,2 WAN, etc., but i've seen nothing in SNB or anywhere else on this Asus router-- its buried in their business router section (not home). Does this ASUS have a Qualcomm chipset, what kind of processor and speed, dual core 1.4 or 1.7 GHz? I found it, yes, its the IPQ8065, 1.7 Ghz same as these other routers. Odd I can't find this guy on NewEgg or Amazon. Looks like it was introduced in December 2016.

Last edited:
i've seen nothing in SNB or anywhere else on this Asus router-- its buried in their business router section (not home)

It's a new business-class product, which was announced last year, but is only very slowly starting to appear on the market in specific regions - North America isn't one of them yet.

Just wondering if Synology is looking backwards, not forwards...

QNAP's solution might be an interesting outcome, if/when it ships... CES2017...

DSC_0336.jpg

well at this point the rt2600ac is back in its box as i find it nothing special , its IPS doesnt work well over long term periods and tends to bog the router down and requires a restart , its other features are ok but nothing to but it over others , its 3g/4g dongle support is lacking and its 5 gig is average in my testing

its a far better device than than the rt1900ac that i will give it , just not far better than other new routers on the market in its class remembering its 1733M on 5 gig so cant compare to the 2156M class

pete

Hi pete,

So, in its class, is there a better router you would recommend overall?

Last edited:
well to be honest the 1733M class is pretty much bypassed now by the 2156M class wifi wise , even when the rt2600ac was very first mentioned as being produced its 1733M wifi was being surpassed by the newer class speeds

however it really comes down to your budget and need , as stated around these parts most people dont need anything above the 867M class wifi anyway as almost all portable devices are at best 2 x 2 867M

with the above in mind i can see more and more moving to the mesh / dw systems esp when the prices become more reasonable , as the fork in the road is here , eg big honking router or mesh / dw . I guess the question is which fork in the road you want to go down

That community is more concerned about the looks of their products rather than functionality. They're more likely to fall for the mesh implants.

Actually no, most don't care - many in that community these days are working pro's - developers (not just MacOS), media guys, etc... functionality does matter.

Go to an IETF meeting and present - you'd be surprised at how many logo's are lit up in the audience... and Apple is one of the few vendors that light up the logo on the back of the screen...

Which results? I use an Intel 2x2 adapter for throughput vs. attenuation. The Veriwave is used only for 4x4 max wireless throughput.

Though I knew there were leakages for the 2.4GHz attenuation tests to help this router score top one for 2.4GHz range, I bought it anyway just because I like the Synology OS after I'd been using there NAS for a long time. The result is, WOW! This router actually eliminats the dead spots and improves my signal bars, compared against my previous Linksys flagship routers! So far so good - connections no longer drop since I switched to this router :)

compared against my previous Linksys flagship routers!

what models ?

This router actually eliminats the dead spots and improves my signal bars

which most likely any of the 1733 AC routers would have achieved the same coverage , there is no smoke and mirrors with the rt2600ac , it still has to respect the max transmission rates ( Eirp ) that we reached with the 1300ac class and in fact in my testing the synology just wasnt any better than its competition and in some cases not as good wifi wise

what models ?

which most likely any of the 1733 AC routers would have achieved the same coverage , there is no smoke and mirrors with the rt2600ac , it still has to respect the max transmission rates ( Eirp ) that we reached with the 1300ac class and in fact in my testing the synology just wasnt any better than its competition and in some cases not as good wifi wise

I previously had Linksys EA6700 and Linksys EA9500.

For 2.4GHz coverage in my own house: RT2600AC > EA9500 > EA6700. Actually this RT2600AC is a significant improvement for me.

For 2.4GHz coverage in my own house: RT2600AC > EA9500 > EA6700. Actually this RT2600AC is a significant improvement for me.

that only suggests the other two where prob faulty , as the ea9500 is pretty much as good as the best routers tested on 2.4 gig

the ea6700 we have little info on so cant say if it was crud

again though we have well past the so called extra coverage capability of any claims as with eirp reached the manufactures are not allowed to transmit above that level and can pull a rabbit out of a hat and produce extra coverage with any single transmission routers on ether band

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!