What's new

Synology RT2600ac Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't see a reason for a range reduction

2 reasons , to be more neighbor friendly in sharing the available 2.4 gig bandwidth ( its actually part of the standard ) and client compatibility as some clients ( apple etc ) dont like 40mhz wide band and they only work well on 20mhz mode , thus killing your speed for other clients to accommodate these not so wifi standard clients

2 reasons , to be more neighbor friendly in sharing the available 2.4 gig bandwidth ( its actually part of the standard ) and client compatibility as some clients ( apple etc ) dont like 40mhz wide band and they only work well on 20mhz mode , thus killing your speed for other clients to accommodate these not so wifi standard clients

So based on what you have tested so far, is it better/worst/same compared to the asus rt-ac88u? Thanks.

Hi - i am new around here and wanted to ask a simple question. I currently have the ASUS RT‑AC3200 which i have been happy with but i also own a NAS from Synology.

I prefer the interface of the Synology router but i am not entirely sure if it is worth the swap. Is it an upgrade or a downgrade? The speed of the wi-fi suggests a downgrade but to be fair, i am about to move to a new larger home (2,700ft2) with cat5e prewired on every room. I currently run a lot of my hardware wired anyway apart from obvious mobile devices. I am sure performance will be fine - range is my main concern.

Should I opt for Synology or keep the Asus router? Same i cannot resell it as i am in the States and it has a UK power socket :-(

I ca always re purpose it as an access point i suppose!

I would not class myself a power user as far as networking goes.

Thanks!

So based on what you have tested so far, is it better/worst/same compared to the asus rt-ac88u? Thanks.

well wifi wise its not in the same class as the 88u as the rt2600 has 1733M 5 gig wifi while the 88u is 2156M on 5 gig , so the throughput is faster on the 88u

day to day performance you wouldnt notice any difference however , so the rt2600ac isnt better or worse

i do note that with its 2 main apps installed the cpu and ram are well over 50% and you certainly notice that load effect overall performance while i dont notice the same with the 88u and aiprotection enabled

at this stage i would recommend ether and not one over the other , they would both work well

Is it an upgrade or a downgrade?

its certainly an upgrade in hardware

rt-ac3200 - 1300M 5 gig , 1 gig cpu , 256M ram

rt2600ac - 1733M 5 gig , 1.7 gig cpu , 512M ram

The speed of the wi-fi suggests a downgrade but to be fair

the rt-ac3200 has 2 x 5 gig 1300M but you can only ever connect to one of them , the rt2600ac has 1733M , so even though the number on the box suggests the rt-ac3200 if faster its not

i am about to move to a new larger home (2,700ft2) with cat5e prewired on every room.

Should I opt for Synology or keep the Asus router?

if it where me in your case i wiould keep the rt-ac3200 and buy an ap or two tyo cover the dead spots in that big house

if it where me in your case i wiould keep the rt-ac3200 and buy an ap or two tyo cover the dead spots in that big house

Thanks Pete - Much appreciated.

Although i am new here, i remember reading your in-depth posts on the previous Synology router at Whirlpool forums!

It is certainly more tempting to upgrade to the Synology now after what you said but you are probably right with what you are saying. Maybe i will wait for a discount on the Synology as it is still reasonably hard to get and not many places carry it here in the states. Hopefully more buying options soon = cheaper price. Then i can re-use the Asus as an AP.

Thanks again and good luck with the testing

@pete y testing

I noticed you also have a Synology NAS. Did you had to do any special port forwarding for it with the Synology router? I had to do some with the Asus to make it all work and was hoping to avoid that if they both are from the same vendor. Years ago my NAS auto-configured everything with the Airport Extreme with no port forwarding required.

Do you need a new synology account? One for the NAS and one for the Router?

Thanks

hi i assume you are talking about external access to the router , i havnt test that so far , but that my synology nas works fine behind the rt2600ac as far as file sharing and the like internally

hi i assume you are talking about external access to the router , i havnt test that so far , but that my synology nas works fine behind the rt2600ac as far as file sharing and the like internally
Correct - External Access as i travel a lot and would like to be able to get to my router if the family has any problems - i can do that indirectly by accessing any of my PCs at home via remote software but it would be nice to get to the router directly. - Thanks

the vpn plus app lets you access everything but you need to have an apple phone or device

it does however have openvpn as well and it works very well

the vpn plus app lets you access everything but you need to have an apple phone or device

it does however have openvpn as well and it works very well

I have previously used the username.synology.me address we get by default and that also works really well. Only disadvantage is that it is on the open web and not behind a VPN.

Thanks Pete - Much appreciated.

Although i am new here, i remember reading your in-depth posts on the previous Synology router at Whirlpool forums!

It is certainly more tempting to upgrade to the Synology now after what you said but you are probably right with what you are saying. Maybe i will wait for a discount on the Synology as it is still reasonably hard to get and not many places carry it here in the states. Hopefully more buying options soon = cheaper price. Then i can re-use the Asus as an AP.

Thanks again and good luck with the testing

The price has actually gone up $10 at Amazon and Newegg but they're on back order and Synology isn't currently listed as selling since it looks like they're out of stock as well as other locations. Other places may have them in stock but asking up to $100 over original price. I picked up the first one for $230 from Synology via Amazon and that was painful waiting on the slow boat from china. The second I got from Newegg which turned out to be cheaper with no shipping.

Hi all. I'm new on these forums and am also a new owner of the Synology RT2600.

Should this be in a new thread or is it OK to post here?

I've been a Synology NAS user for many years and thought I'd try out their latest router. I haven't really tested it much, as my primary need is for it to be able to handle IPTV from my ISP (BT in UK). It was working somewhat intermittently then I would get no signal or constant break-ups. I put it back in the box with the intention of returning it but something has been telling me to keep trying. I've decided to give it till the end of the weekend before finally deciding. In fairness I'm not sure if it's entirely down to the router of if my home network setup (multiple powerline adapters) is contributing to the problems. In saying that - my previous router (Asus RT N6U) had no problems on the same network.

Has anyone else used this router with IPTV? There was an option in the GUI to allocate one port as an IPTV port, but I found something very strange happened when I did this. The router disconnected from the internet for about 5 seconds then restored the connection. It did this every time I changed this setting. My available time for experimenting is very limited, as the family use the TV and internet almost most of the evening.

I enabled several IGMP settings and hoped that would work but my "limited time window" meant it was easier to pack it up for a return. Can anyone offer any advice for my last go this weekend :) ?

I have had my Synology RT2600AC for about a week. This router blows my Asus RT-AC3200 out of the water. I was running the latest Merlin build on the Asus. The thing I am most impressed with is the consistent wireless speeds.
I also am a Synology NAS user and love their DMS interface. Porting this interface onto the router RMS is done well.

My only Con is with the documentation. I would like to have the manual as a PDF to read it more closely.

The router is new with few users and not much going in in their forum. This router is well worth the investment if you need or just want a new router.

suggest you have a play around with the IPS as its underdone and need quite some work before its ready for prime time , being one of the main features of this router it really needs to stand out not bog down after a week of use

i cant say its wifi coverage wise is any better than its equivalent , for basic stuff it works as it should , it however hasnt blown any socks of here esp when comparing it to other 4 x 4 wifi router with mu-mimo and beamforming

Has anyone actually tried sawing the legs off? Not being able to wall mount this properly is a problem.

I have had my Synology RT2600AC for about a week. This router blows my Asus RT-AC3200 out of the water. I was running the latest Merlin build on the Asus. The thing I am most impressed with is the consistent wireless speeds.
I also am a Synology NAS user and love their DMS interface. Porting this interface onto the router RMS is done well.

My only Con is with the documentation. I would like to have the manual as a PDF to read it more closely.

The router is new with few users and not much going in in their forum. This router is well worth the investment if you need or just want a new router.

You mean this one? https://global.download.synology.co...rGuide/SRM/1.1/Syno_UsersGuide_Router_enu.pdf

Hi all. I'm new on these forums and am also a new owner of the Synology RT2600.

Should this be in a new thread or is it OK to post here?

I've been a Synology NAS user for many years and thought I'd try out their latest router. I haven't really tested it much, as my primary need is for it to be able to handle IPTV from my ISP (BT in UK). It was working somewhat intermittently then I would get no signal or constant break-ups. I put it back in the box with the intention of returning it but something has been telling me to keep trying. I've decided to give it till the end of the weekend before finally deciding. In fairness I'm not sure if it's entirely down to the router of if my home network setup (multiple powerline adapters) is contributing to the problems. In saying that - my previous router (Asus RT N6U) had no problems on the same network.

Has anyone else used this router with IPTV? There was an option in the GUI to allocate one port as an IPTV port, but I found something very strange happened when I did this. The router disconnected from the internet for about 5 seconds then restored the connection. It did this every time I changed this setting. My available time for experimenting is very limited, as the family use the TV and internet almost most of the evening.

I enabled several IGMP settings and hoped that would work but my "limited time window" meant it was easier to pack it up for a return. Can anyone offer any advice for my last go this weekend :) ?

I saw this in yesterday's update but not sure if it's related and you still have it: Fixed an issue where SRM might fail to work properly when IPTV is enabled.

R7800 has a dual-core (IPQ8065) 1.7 GHz processor NOT a quad-core 1.7 GHz

Yeah i don't get that. Says here in the review
Qualcomm IPQ8065 quad-core network processor @ 1.7 GHz Qualcomm quad-core IPQ8065 Internet Processor @ 1.7 GHz

Yet on Netgear site and SNB review of 7800, it says dual core. Are these quad-core or dual-core?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!