What's new

Synology RT2600ac Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
synology_rt2600ac_product.jpg
Synology's RT2600ac Router shows the company is serious about pursuing the Wi-Fi router market.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

R7800 has a dual-core (IPQ8065) 1.7 GHz processor NOT a quad-core 1.7 GHz

R7800 has a dual-core 1.7 GHz processor NOT a quad-core 1.7 GHz
From https://www.qualcomm.com/products/ipq8065
The IPQ8065 is a quad-core network processor designed to bring unprecedented performance and power efficiency to Wi-Fi routers and gateways. It combines a powerful, dual-core Qualcomm® Krait™ CPU (1.7 GHz) for control plane and applications, with a dual-core 800 MHz Network Subsystem (NSS) to accelerate packet processing.

I am confused here i cant see anything about the Qualcomm® Krait™ CPU?

But you have right
IPQ8065 ARMv7-A
Quad Core 1.7 GHz 2x Krait 300
+ 2x NSS @800MHz

the company is serious about pursuing the Wi-Fi router market.​
Read on SmallNetBuilder
Indeed. This is very interesting review, thanks! I would love to have one but I just bought AC68U a few months ago.

Btw, I did see somewhere about IPS/IDS speed, but can't find it now. IPS speed seems to be around 70Mbps while IDS speed is between 300and600Mbps(I can't remember exact number). I will repost when i find the link

Edit: Here is the link
IPS : 71.3Mbps download/ 49Mbps upload
IDS: 599Mbps download/ 302Mbps upload

https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/RT2600ac#spec
For some reasons, Synology says that its RT-AC2600 router is dual-core.

Last edited:
thanks for the review tim

i have just got the rt2600ac for testing myself , good to see your results show the rt2600ac more in line with its competition , just a pity they didnt consider link aggregation and a few more lan ports when designing the rt2600ac

will be doing my own testing with 4 x 4 pce-ac88 adapters when i get time and will be interesting to see if i track the same results as yours

the sd card slot worked perfectly allowing me to take the sd card out of my camera and accessing it via \\192.168.1.1 , the eject button also ensures the connect devices are removed correctly

i did a quick run of the IPS and it detected and block quite a bit of traffic i didnt understand mainly from the xbox and my gigaset voip phone , this didnt seem to effect the voip phone but did stop the xbox from working so i needed to stop the service at that time

thats about as far as i have got yet as i have been away for work but have left it running at home with family , the family punishment test works any router over :) and no phone calls complaining about wifi or other issues yet

it did get to around 38 deg c at home yesterday and the study is usually pretty warm and thats where the test position is , had the rt2600ac checked for heat and although it was warm it wasnt hot so the passive ventilation must be doing its job

pete

will be doing my own testing with 4 x 4 pce-ac88 adapters when i get time and will be interesting to see if i track the same results as yours
Which results? I use an Intel 2x2 adapter for throughput vs. attenuation. The Veriwave is used only for 4x4 max wireless throughput.

btw im not a big fan of the wps pin being on by default and im not sure why synology has left it enabled by default , im guessing its for initial connection of a wifi device for setup where it has the pin on the bottom of the router , it would have been just as easy to set a default passphrase and print it on the bottom of the case and quite a bit more secure

Synology has a great track record of providing software updates to it's products, even if they are years old. If they keep this model going for their routers, it could be a good reason to switch to them.

From the review: "The RT2600ac's back end is elevated by two legs molded into its bottom cover. Although there are wall-mount screw slots also molded into the bottom, you won't be able to actually wall mount it without sawing off the plastic legs."

I had read something similar in another review and wondered how accurate it was. I thought maybe the legs were somehow removable but the reviewer just missed it........but if you say it, I believe it.

Seems like a very odd design decision.

Synology has a great track record of providing software updates to it's products, even if they are years old. If they keep this model going for their routers, it could be a good reason to switch to them.

Yeah I have a NAS from 2010 and they are still updating the software for it.
I would like to see them come up with a Mesh solution as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought maybe the legs were somehow removable but the reviewer just missed it........but if you say it, I believe it.
nope its molded as part of the case , i too was surprised there is no physical way to remove the legs

I would like to see them come up with a Mesh solution as well!
maybe thats just one step too far for them at this stage

The IPQ8065 has two sets of dual-cores. So, depends on which way you want to count...

I get this answer from NG;
IPQ8065 dual-core SoC &1.7GHz and the QCA9984 radio
4x4 design supports 160MHz (or 80+80MHz), MU-MIMO

It's dual core. And Qualcomm is being very, very misleading, IMO. Many of these RISC based processors used, have a packet processing/offloading/accelerator(s) (whatever they/you want to call'em). So, basically you can say something like the BCM4706 is a triple core, if you go by their standards. Because of the dual core ARM and then packet processing engine that is integrated. But I say no, it has two ARM core and two NSS (Network Subsystem) at 800MHz that offload the ARM cores of packet processing.

Just my opinion though.....

Its like the CPUs for mobilephones Quad-core (2x2.15 GHz Kryo & 2x1.6 GHz Kryo)

It's dual core. And Qualcomm is being very, very misleading, IMO. Many of these RISC based processors used, have a packet processing/offloading/accelerator(s) (whatever they/you want to call'em). So, basically you can say something like the BCM4706 is a triple core, if you go by their standards. Because of the dual core ARM and then packet processing engine that is integrated. But I say no, it has two ARM core and two NSS (Network Subsystem) at 800MHz that offload the ARM cores of packet processing.

Just my opinion though.....

Both Netgear and Synology apparently agree with you, as each, in their marketing materials for the R7800 and the RT2600AC, respectively, refers to the IPQ8065 as "dual core."

http://netgear.com/home/products/ne...00.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic#tab-techspecs

https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/RT2600ac#spec

Argue if you like. Qualcomm says its quad-core, so that's what I'm using.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!