What's new

System Log Check….?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shelleyevans

Regular Contributor
Greetings! I have been running an AiMesh system (AC86U with AC68U and AC66-B1 Nodes) for a number of years now, most recently incredibly stable on Merlin for about a year. I started having network problems (unstable internet on Zoom calls, slow speeds) and after a day of troubleshooting discovered that the WAN port on the AC66 was borked, so I got another AC68U, flashed 387_2 on all three devices, reset, and set up the mesh again. After about a day, the internet started dropping intermittently, at least on wifi, which is where I noticed it. A reboot would fix it, but I didn’t want to make rebooting a daily router routine! I read a lot of threads, and came to the conclusion that stock might be more stable, and since I am no longer running any scripts, just fine for my purpose— I am now trying to run ALL my devices as is, and only make modifications if something really isn’t working. I flashed the latest stock firmware on all three devices, reset, and set up the mesh again. So far so good.

Why am I here, you ask? I checked the log when all my troubles started and quickly realized I had no idea what I was looking at, although I did see what seemed to be a bunch of errors. After reverting to stock, I checked the log one last time, to reassure myself that everything was fine, and realized I have no idea what I’m looking at. There are LOTS of messages that seem to repeat in a cycle, and I suspect that they are just maintenance. I am hoping somebody could check them - does everything seem to be fine?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    176.5 KB · Views: 87
nt_center (Notification Center) seems to be throwing a fit. Maybe backup and reformat JFFS and see how it goes.

My previous router, an RT-AC86U liked to Kernal Panic an awful lot. Mostly most of these appeared to be tied to enabling anything Trend Micro such as AiProtection, but also Adaptive QOS or logging Traffic Analyser Statistics. That said in its at least 4 years of use, I can't recall a full crash or spontaneous reboot that was not caused by external sources!

Hello and thanks for the quick replies! A couple of questions:

1. Is this line from the log "Jul 29 23:35:51 kernel: CPU: 1 PID: 6624 Comm: nt_center Tainted: P O 4.1.27 #2" the Notification Center fit @dave14305 is referring to? And is that "fit" the same thing as Kernal Panic? What is a fit/kernal panic exactly?

2. Since I am running stock, how would I reformat JFFS? (I recall seeing it in Merlin, but I can't seem to find it here....)

3. Are the other messages in the log just normal maintenance? Seems like a lot of messages! (I am running AiProtection and planning to enable QoS, once I get this stable...)

Sounds like another reboot reset might be in order....

Before you do anything else, turn off Trend Micro and see if the Kernal messages stop!

Oh, as for JFFS, if you are running stock, then I don't think it exists (more than welcome to be corrected on that)!

I ended up doing one of those restore reset restores recommended by some old timers on the site. I think the crazy "tainted" messages have not reappeared, and the network is still, as of now, up and running. I gathered from some of the threads that I read that when in stock doing restore and ticking "initialize all the settings and clear data" will at least remove cruft from NVRAM (hope I got that word right). Also gathered that it is in general better to restore via the GUI, as opposed to doing a hard reset, because sometimes the cruft doesn't get removed from NVRAM with a hard reset. Somebody suggested doing both-- GUI then hard reset, then GUI again. I did that. Let's see how it goes.... :)

I ended up doing one of those restore reset restores recommended by some old timers on the site. I think the crazy "tainted" messages have not reappeared, and the network is still, as of now, up and running. I gathered from some of the threads that I read that when in stock doing restore and ticking "initialize all the settings and clear data" will at least remove cruft from NVRAM (hope I got that word right). Also gathered that it is in general better to restore via the GUI, as opposed to doing a hard reset, because sometimes the cruft doesn't get removed from NVRAM with a hard reset. Somebody suggested doing both-- GUI then hard reset, then GUI again. I did that. Let's see how it goes.... :)
Your terminology in the above post is incorrect. It should be "JFFS", not "NVRAM".

Before you do anything else, turn off Trend Micro and see if the Kernal messages stop!

Oh, as for JFFS, if you are running stock, then I don't think it exists (more than welcome to be corrected on that)!
Asuswrt does use /jffs and it is cleared on default reset with initialize.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!