What's new

The rmerlin donation thread.

• Thread starter Deleted member 27741
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Patreon. You absolutely need Patreon.

Maybe once every two years I remember/think to send you a few bucks.

With Patreon I would set it and forget it for monthly donations on the spot, and likely leave it forever.

Edit: Well would you look at that? Paypal can do that now apparently! Just ignore me while I get caught up with the times please and thanks. Monthly donation set :)

Patreon. You absolutely need Patreon.
I prefer to avoid services like Patreon, because people generally associate them with "We give you money, but in exchange we expect this or that". I don't want this project to be money-driven in any way, and to be 100% free to decide what changes/additions I make to the code. Paypal makes it more look like a "We give you money for what already exists, as a thank-you". I feel more confortable that way.

Edit: Well would you look at that? Paypal can do that now apparently! Just ignore me while I get caught up with the times please and thanks. Monthly donation set :)
It does - thank you :)

Just one thing for people to be aware of however, is due to how Paypal takes a cut of donations, people donating 1$ per month are actually donating Paypal around 45 cents per month, and I only get 65 cents, every single month. That's because they charge a small base fee (something like 25 cents, I forgot the exact amount) plus a small percentage. So for such small amounts like $1 or less, you are donating nearly as much to Paypal as to me. I am fine with it, just something that people might want to be aware of. A single donation of 10$ a year will leave more in my account than 10 donations of 1$ each (like about $9.50 versus $6.50 left at the end).

(funny story: I once received a donation for 50 cents. After Paypal's cut, I received zero, and Paypal kept all 50 cents LOL )

I prefer to avoid services like Patreon, because people generally associate them with "We give you money, but in exchange we expect this or that". I don't want this project to be money-driven in any way, and to be 100% free to decide what changes/additions I make to the code. Paypal makes it more look like a "We give you money for what already exists, as a thank-you". I feel more confortable that way.

Just one thing for people to be aware of however, is due to how Paypal takes a cut of donations, people donating 1$ per month are actually donating Paypal around 45 cents per month, and I only get 65 cents, every single month. That's because they charge a small base fee (something like 25 cents, I forgot the exact amount) plus a small percentage. So for such small amounts like $1 or less, you are donating nearly as much to Paypal as to me. I am fine with it, just something that people might want to be aware of. A single donation of 10$ a year will leave more in my account than 10 donations of 1$ each (like about $9.50 versus $6.50 left at the end).

(funny story: I once received a donation for 50 cents. After Paypal's cut, I received zero, and Paypal kept all 50 cents LOL )

If anybody wants a customized solution they can ask for your professional services and get a quote. Or a polite decline :)))
I would add an address for a stable crypto like USDT or USDC for those of us without access to paypal, etc.

Stable crypto. :D

Stable crypto. :D
Yes, there are stable coins pegged to the US dollar or the Euro. Been using them for the last seven years or so. You get the crypto, as a vehicle for a transfer, immediately convert it to USD or whatever currency you like and put it in your bank. Coinbase Pro or Gemini are very safe exchanges. If you don't trust crypto well, no need to use it. It's not legal tender, except in El Salvador.

For this instance, wouldn't it be better to set it up as friends sending you money? (sorry for the odd question, but i personally don't believe paypal should get such a high markup on a single dollar.)

Did you read the first post?

Did you look at RMerlin's site?

Contact | Asuswrt-Merlin
I did and wanted to double check the details are still correct and up-to-date, Don't forget the first post dates back to 2014!
so as you can appreciate with today's current theft of financial details, I didn't just want to use the wrong link (dating back to 2014) which may changed or is no longer valid.

Thanks!

Always good to double-check! Maybe just mention next time that you have done some 'homework' and you still have a question or two. :)

I've been running ASUS routers at home and office for the last 8? years just because of you. Keep it up and Merry Xmas Man. All the best from Spain.

Any reason PayPal Friends and Family cannot be used to avoid the fee? The PayPal protection provided when they take their fees is obviously not needed with these transactions.

Eric,
Can I donate in Canadian dollars on Paypal? Saves exchange and I think you are in Canada?
Thank you for the wonderful work.

Eric,
Can I donate in Canadian dollars on Paypal? Saves exchange and I think you are in Canada?
Thank you for the wonderful work.
You can as long your own account is Canadian.

Just donated a few cups of coffee for Merlins hard work and it's 10 year anniversary!