What's new

The Uptime Contest

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a full nuclear on my whole system over the weekend... so I'm way behind the uptime ball now. ;) But, have a stable system so I'll take that!

Now... about that 386.2 alpha... ;)

Speaking of alphas, I couldn't help myself. I too am in the update doghouse as a result of that installation. :oops:

Speaking of alphas, I couldn't help myself. I too am in the update doghouse as a result of that installation. :oops:
Oh no.... the old "fiddled too much" case... been there. Will be there again. Forgiveness will come. My migration to AiMesh and the subsequent Nuclear Reset result in quite an extended "outage" for the family so I'm treading carefully now.

Oh no.... the old "fiddled too much" case... been there. Will be there again. Forgiveness will come. My migration to AiMesh and the subsequent Nuclear Reset result in quite an extended "outage" for the family so I'm treading carefully now.
Keep an old router around to supply backup internet for extended "projects." I have two old routers (15 years old). They're only 54 Mbps 2.4 GHz, but that's good enough for Netflix and phones to work while I work on the main router.

My record (or close to it, dunno how high it reached) with a customer's office router:

View attachment 21950

Now, that was reliability...

At home, my personal record is much lower, due to flashing development builds. This year:

View attachment 21951
Regarding the contest, I wonder, what is the purpose of this setting:
1612861682711.png

I can't think of any other than "keep the box clean and healthy".
RMerlin what do you think about it? Is it necessary or can be set to "No", as Linux is stable.

As a prove to my quote "Linux is stable":
20 or so years ago I installed Slackware on a consumer machine as a company local web server. At that time machine was behind hard firewall, not endangered by Internet threats.
It runs intact for years, in a meantime I left the company. And suddenly I've got a call, web page is not accessible. The reason was disk failure, not OS.
Not counting, but I think uptime was > 1000 days! :)
So yes, Linux is stable. From that early Linux time I'm one of a loyal Slackware users.

I have my reboot scheduler set to Mondays at 2AM.

Regular reboots will eject any memory-resident router malware (think: VPNFilter) as long as it hasn't installed a follow-on stage.

Security >>>>>>>>>>>>>> uptime

Keep an old router around to supply backup internet for extended "projects." I have two old routers (15 years old). They're only 54 Mbps 2.4 GHz, but that's good enough for Netflix and phones to work while I work on the main router.
Yep. Wise words and I do have a few hanging around for just that case but didn't need to pull that trigger.

RMerlin what do you think about it? Is it necessary or can be set to "No", as Linux is stable.

Up to you. Personally I see no need for it.

Is there a reason to reboot? Are you seeing issues?

I used to be in the 'reboot weekly' camp but I've stopped doing that and will only boot if there are issues or a firmware update.
Sorry for the late reply :oops:

At the time I was having issues with online gaming. I couldn't connect and sometimes it would glitch out during gameplay.

And.... back to zero. 386.1_2 Released. Sigh.

Welcome to the club!

Uptime.jpg

So, I've abandoned AiMesh 2.0 entirely this weekend. Gave it a good run and try but the Nest Cameras just don't seem to like it too much. I really loved the whole AiMesh 2.0 setup with the Dashboard and new features but I just could not get my Nest Cameras that were all outside my house to play nice. Was a nightmare. I've gone back to the Router/Separate APs config and the cameras are all behaving nicely now.

At any rate... uptime back to zero! Sigh...

@shabbs you sacrificed uptime for mere camera compatibility? I don't think I know you anymore! :D

Next time, do the right thing. Show those misbehaving cameras the door!

@shabbs you sacrificed uptime for mere camera compatibility? I don't think I know you anymore! :D

Next time, do the right thing. Show those misbehaving cameras the door!
You gonna fund the replacements? ;)

ut.jpg

Sigh...

LqZ8nL3.png

Status
Not open for further replies.