What's new

TM-AC1900 as AImesh node?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dan SG

Occasional Visitor
Apologies if this has already been answered (I did Google). Can I use a converted TM-AC1900 as an AImesh node with a Merlin master router (either a true AC68, AC86U, or AX86U) without technical problems? (I know the deal with the TM, but I need to exhaust my options with what I have before I consider purchasing anything)

Apologies if this has already been answered (I did Google). Can I use a converted TM-AC1900 as an AImesh node with a Merlin master router (either a true AC68, AC86U, or AX86U) without technical problems? (I know the deal with the TM, but I need to exhaust my options with what I have before I consider purchasing anything)

So-called converted TM-AC1900 are not supported, and discussions on their modification is forbidden on these forums. Sorry.

Thats not intend to do. Did you read it?
Of course. I'm not interested in flashing Merlin onto unsupported hardware. I'm trying to figure out if a Merlin aimesh master will work properly with a aimesh node that is a RT-AC68U converted from a TM-AC1900.

Of course. I'm not interested in flashing Merlin onto unsupported hardware. I'm trying to figure out if a Merlin aimesh master will work properly with a aimesh node that is a RT-AC68U converted from a TM-AC1900.
From this thread.... https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...d-forks-on-non-asus-devices-is-illegal.44636/

To those who flashed their non-Asus routers with one of these firmware and have bricked their router, I can only suggest that you contact the author of your firmware fork, they're in the best position to help you, as only them know what they did to hack their fork on your model. You won't be getting any help here because any discussion of these firmware is forbidden, period.

This is more relevant, since you're not flashing merlin, but same basic idea. The site owner has made TM-AC1900 discussion verboten, for better or worse.

From this thread.... https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...d-forks-on-non-asus-devices-is-illegal.44636/

To those who flashed their non-Asus routers with one of these firmware and have bricked their router, I can only suggest that you contact the author of your firmware fork, they're in the best position to help you, as only them know what they did to hack their fork on your model. You won't be getting any help here because any discussion of these firmware is forbidden, period.
I haven't bricked anything, nor am I asking for help with Asus firmware. My TM-AC1900s were converted years ago and I'm not interested in putting Merlin onto any of them. I am interested in using them as aimesh nodes when I flash Merlin onto a supported router that will become the aimesh master.

Converted years ago? How many years? AiMesh is relatively new.

I wouldn't bet that this would work (at all, or at least, reliably).

I haven't bricked anything, nor am I asking for help with Asus firmware. My TM-AC1900s were converted years ago and I'm not interested in putting Merlin onto any of them. I am interested in using them as aimesh nodes when I flash Merlin onto a supported router that will become the aimesh master.
Put simply, basically ANY and ALL discussion on the TM-AC1900 is verboten (not allowed) here. If one searches the internet there are likely other sites where one may be able to find some sort of discussion on those units.

Converted years ago? How many years? AiMesh is relatively new.

I wouldn't bet that this would work (at all, or at least, reliably).
The TM- AC1900 is nearly a decade old and AImesh is almost 5 years old. For quite a while converting them was no more controversial than loading alternative firmware onto anything. All I really want to know is whether I'm wasting my time building and testing such a setup. My gut says that if Asus can't tell they're not original RT-AC68Us then neither will a Merlin AImesh master. I'm also getting the feeling that it may be time to replace them anyways.

Details matter, which you aren't providing.

If you 'need' AiMesh to work, and to work reliably, consider buying newer AiMesh capable routers that run current firmware instead.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!