What's new

Tmobile Home Internet with Asus Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kingp1n

Very Senior Member
I just found Tmobile Home internet works in my area. Has anyone here tried using it with an Asus router and specifically running with RMerlin firmware?

The reddit tmobile page mentions that the router firmware is limited and doesn't allow for the tmobile router/modem (Nokia 5G gateway) to be put in bridge mode. Folks have connected a 3rd party router and turn off dhcp/ssid on the tmobile router with double nat issues.

My goal is I'm trying to use my RT-AX88U router as the main router with RMerlin fw and all the current scripts im using but I think I'll run into issues since the tmobile fw is limited on what you can do.

Just wondering if anyone here is currently using it with an Asus router and what recommendations you may provide. I don't get my tmo router until later this week. I currently have Comcast but their recent 1.2TB data cap is making me look elsewhere to include their ridiculous prices for what im getting (100/5mbps for $77 monthly). With their new data cap policy, it will be an additional $10 extra for 50GB if you go over their 1229Gb cap or pay an additional $30 for unlimited data. The last 3 months I was roughly using 1400Gb (estimate) for each month. It's insane!!!

Comcast is the only available ISP in my area currently!

I apologize if I posted this in the wrong thread.

Last edited:
For 'only' $30 more for unlimited data and a 'real' internet connection to the 'raw' internet (public IP), I wouldn't go to T-Mobile with the restrictions you state.

Curious though if the cost is any better?

For 'only' $30 more for unlimited data and a 'real' internet connection to the 'raw' internet (public IP), I wouldn't go to T-Mobile with the restrictions you state.

Curious though if the cost is any better?
The cost for tmobile internet is currently $50 ($55 without autopay) with no data cap. Folks are getting different speeds depending on location.

Okay, so more than twice as expensive then. I'd have to think long and hard about that too.

In the past using Merlin's firmware I have used T-Mobil WiFi hot spots connected to my router and it has worked fine.

I would not worry about the ability to eliminate a double NAT. A double NAT will not degrade your performance and unless you want to run type of server present no issues.

In the past using Merlin's firmware I have used T-Mobil WiFi hot spots connected to my router and it has worked fine.

I would not worry about the ability to eliminate a double NAT. A double NAT will not degrade your performance and unless you want to run type of server present no issues.
Thanks for the input guys....where you using the router in AP mode in your environment?

Some folks are doing this but I don't want to use my router this way since you cannot use DNSFilter any longer in AP mode (based from my findings here from previous threads).

I'll guess I'll try it out for about a month or two and see how things play out. The only thing I read people are having issues with double nat and xbox gaming where they can't connect to a party chat due to this. Clearing the MAC things to help but it's not a permanent fix since once you turn off/on the Xbox it comes back. They also say the latency is slightly higher (30-80) with gaming compared to cable or fiber (5-30) but not enough to where it's not playable.

Wish me luck guys and if anyone is already testing this out, please report your experience!

Thanks for the input guys....where you using the router in AP mode in your environment?

Some folks are doing this but I don't want to use my router this way since you cannot use DNSFilter any longer in AP mode (based from my findings here from previous threads).

I'll guess I'll try it out for about a month or two and see how things play out. The only thing I read people are having issues with double nat and xbox gaming where they can't connect to a party chat due to this. Clearing the MAC things to help but it's not a permanent fix since once you turn off/on the Xbox it comes back. They also say the latency is slightly higher (30-80) with gaming compared to cable or fiber (5-30) but not enough to where it's not playable.

Wish me luck guys and if anyone is already testing this out, please report your experience!
Just double NAT your router behind the T Mobil device. Everything will work with the exception that setting up servers will require some double port forwards.

Attachments

• How to double NAT two routers.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 486
@Kingp1n how did you tmobile experience go? I am also going to test tmobile this coming week. i'm hoping to be able to replace my cable mobile.

@Kingp1n how did you tmobile experience go? I am also going to test tmobile this coming week. i'm hoping to be able to replace my cable mobile.
I tried it for a few days and ended up returning it.

It didn't work well with my setup.

If you're a gamer, you might run into some issues with double-nat. Also, there's currently a xbox party live issue where you can't connect to party chats.

Currently no bridge-mode available at this time and some VPN issues as well.

Im still keeping up with the forums thru reddit as I believe a simple firmware update would fix all these items.

My speeds were pretty decent as compared to comcast. (200/10mbps (avg) thru tmobile). This will also depend on your location.

If you don't require to much customization in your environment, you might be good with it. It's mixed reviews in reddit and it ALL depends on your needs. For me at least for now, it's still feels it's in beta mode & the firmware does not let you customize much.

Try it out and let us know how it goes for you.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!