What's new

To VPN or not to VPN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

VPN has it's use cases and limits. I'm glad you don't see that they ensure online anonymity anymore, 'cause they don't. There are tons of ways to track a user online despite IP address or encryption. However, the parts that it's advised on public Wi-Fi and it adds an extra layer of privacy IMHO are true. If you have a no-logs service provider then rerouting your traffic from your ISp server to no-logs server is pretty useful. Additional encryption on public Wi-Fi as well. But IMHO majority use it to bypass geo blocks and for streaming and so on, because it's really comfy to bypass those using a VPN. You can use it for smart TVs also if you set up on a router just check the ip address per instructions to see if you really got the one you need and you're good to go.

I don't believe this is the reason most people use it. I think most people use it for public wifi. My whole thing is we should be treating our home networks like public wifi's. Especially when its predicted the avg household will have 50 iot devices in the future and manufacturers still treat security as an afterthought.

this thread should be crossposted in the Networking subforum, because it incorporates a whole bunch of common issues.
my state of learning this stuff is here (and please correct me if I'm misunderstanding) :
The cloud server becomes a virtual private server that your home router tunnels to. The connection (wireguard?) is encrypted so that your ISP can't snoop your traffic.
This makes your home router a simple access point, and all routing is handled by the cloud server (with data center speeds?), including ad-blocking (and DNS? can I setup an rDNS server -unbound- on this VPS as well?). Mobile devices can connect to the VPS and share the protections devices at home enjoy.
That sounds like the ideal to me in terms of privacy.

this thread should be crossposted in the Networking subforum, because it incorporates a whole bunch of common issues.
my state of learning this stuff is here (and please correct me if I'm misunderstanding) :
The cloud server becomes a virtual private server that your home router tunnels to. The connection (wireguard?) is encrypted so that your ISP can't snoop your traffic.
This makes your home router a simple access point, and all routing is handled by the cloud server (with data center speeds?), including ad-blocking (and DNS? can I setup an rDNS server -unbound- on this VPS as well?). Mobile devices can connect to the VPS and share the protections devices at home enjoy.
I'm not sure what your post is in response to. The only reference to a cloud/VPS is post #9 from over a year ago. The rest of this thread is discussing commercial VPN providers (e.g. NordVPN).

yes, yes and yes.

I'm not sure what your post is in response to. The only reference to a cloud/VPS is post #9 from over a year ago. The rest of this thread is discussing commercial VPN providers (e.g. NordVPN).
oh did i re-animate an old thread? that remains, or perhaps is increasingly, germane to current and future events? I had a chat over dinner last night with a 14 year old about this kind of thing, and the day before that with a friend (recently turned 50) who is working from home for one of my countries preeminent banks. Thanks to increasing awareness of the issues at play, this knowledge and understanding will likely be increasingly sought after; another of my goals is to have clear answers for people on a quest for them. could you explain your issue with this please sir? or is it an issue you, sir, have with me/my participation here?

oh did i re-animate an old thread? that remains, or perhaps is increasingly, germane to current and future events? I had a chat over dinner last night with a 14 year old about this kind of thing, and the day before that with a friend (recently turned 50) who is working from home for one of my countries preeminent banks. Thanks to increasing awareness of the issues at play, this knowledge and understanding will likely be increasingly sought after; another of my goals is to have clear answers for people on a quest for them. could you explain your issue with this please sir? or is it an issue you, sir, have with me/my participation here?
I have absolutely no issue with you or the content of your post. I was merely confused about why you made the post in this thread. It looked like you were replying to a specific question about a "cloud server" but there is no such question in this thread. I thought perhaps you had posted in the wrong thread by mistake.

I have absolutely no issue with you or the content of your post. I was merely confused about why you made the post in this thread. It looked like you were replying to a specific question about a "cloud server" but there is no such question in this thread. I thought perhaps you had posted in the wrong thread by mistake.

his post was completely related.