What's new

[Tomato] Bandwidth Limiter: Can Total 'DLRate' be more than 'Max Available Download'?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nasryus

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm running Tomato 1.28 by shibby on a RT-N66U
I have a working bandwidth limiter set up. I did it according to this tutorial.

The tutorial mentions this about the DLRate & Max Available Download:
"Dl Rate . Here we enter the desired minimum downlink speed of the PC when all other PCs on the list are also downloading. The router will try to ensure that the PC gets at least this much bandwidth allocated.
What does this mean? It means that the sum total of this column for all PCs on the list should not overcome the total Download Bandwidth (aka Max Available Download).
If the amount exceeds this 'Download Bandwidth', the entered data will serve no purpose when all the PC's are downloading data."

I have a 50mbps internet, and the first 5 devices I put under the limiter are working according to plan, as they total to 41665kbps.

Now if I were to add more devices, making the total DLRate exceed 50mbps, what would happen? Would the bandwidth limiter still work?

I'm asking this because there are so many wireless devices in my shared apartment (6 people), and I intend to control most, if not all of them, because there are bandwidth hoggers.

I can include all the devices (about 20 of them) and divide the 50mbps evenly among them, but that wouldn't be so practical. It'd only give one device about 300kB/s.

Pic related.

Thank you

You need to configure your bandwidths to below your real-world throughput. If the traffic-shaper cannot build up a queue of network packets, then it cannot intelligently control bandwidths.

There should be a way to share the bandwidth more "fairly" without artificially limiting everyone. Like, if you have 5 clients, and only 3 are downloading, then bandwidth will be split between those three. I assume Tomato could accomplish this, but I have no first-hand experience.