What's new

TP-Link powerline low throughput in different room

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Been looking for MOCA adapters can't find any. Some I found are pretty expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use a coax cable to my BHN modem then an Ethernet cable to my RT-N66W. How would I use a MOCA adapter in that situation?

MoCA adapters are like WiFi Access points that convert ethernet signals to an RF signal (2-way) and then put RF on a coax instead of in the air (to simplify). The MoCA adapters normally have loop-through coax connectors - so that TV signals can pass along.

Near the router, you put a MoCA box to feed the first line of coax.

You judiciously plan and get coax legs off of that starting coax, via splitters, to feed the rooms where you will put other MoCA adpaters. At each such room, you connect the loop-through coax and onward to the TV. From the MoCA adapter, you run ethernet cat5 to a switch and/or to PCs, cameras, whatever needs IP service.

MoCA operates at frequencies just higher than cable TV uses.

So if most rooms have TV coax already run, you're in good shape for TV and LAN/Internet. Most such per-room coaxes "home run" to a central place in the garage or MBR. That makes it easier.

Ok so in my case where does the MOCA adapter go? I have coax to modem then Ethernet to router.

Just looked at my set up. I have a splitter from the wall. One coax going to the modem and 1 coax going to the cable box. So I put one coax to the adapter instead of the tv and then a coax from the adapter to the tv. Then Ethernet cable from router to MOCA adapter. Got it. Thank you.

Last edited:
Thanks. Been doing research on splitters. The ones my ISP gave me are 3.5 dbi out and 5-1002MHz.

Thanks. Been doing research on splitters. The ones my ISP gave me are 3.5 dbi out and 5-1002MHz.

A two-way splitter should have that 3.x dB loss. That's simply saying that half the power goes to each port. A 3-way would have about 6dB loss per port, and so on.

MoCA adapters are getting hard to find. Long ago Fry's had both D-Link and Netgear. Now, I think you have to find them on line or at ebay. I think I paid $150 or so for a pair of D-Links, way back.

A 3 way splitter has a -7 db loss on two of the ports and -3.5 on the other. A 3 way splitter just uses a second 2 way splitter on one of the legs.

You'll need a 3 way splitter with those. I wonder if MOCA 2.0 will ever be released.

Ouch. You can find the ECB2500 for much cheaper than that for a 2 unit kit. I think around $100. I got mine used for $40 (just the one). Check out fleabay. They often have singletons for $40-60 and two unit kits for $70-100.

Those are also only MoCA 1.1. A very, very tiny number of MoCA 2.0 gear was made and then it seemed to all evaporate. Actiontec is about the only MoCA maker left and they never did 2.0 stuff.

I don't buy used. This was the cheapest I found after about a week of looking. Thanks.

Got the actiontec's today and they work like a charm. The dead room now has full speed of 60Mbps DL speed. To bad they only came with 10/100 ports.

I wouldn't necessarily say too bad. It would be nice to see what they can hit with a tail wind, but from what I have seen, coax environment matters a lot.

My limited testing I see in the 90Mbps range over my MoCA bridge connected to my house's coax setup (Line in from ONT, 4-way splitter all lines terminated at a device), compared to around 95-98Mbps when running something in 100Mbps mode pure ethernet/cat cable the whole way.

So I suspect I am faving a limitation of MoCA1.1/Coax there and not the 10/100 port.

MoCA is rated to 170Mbps and I assume it is a quieter RF environment than Wifi, but I also assume there is some forward error checking going on, possibly noise from other signals on the coax (like from the TV channels only a few dozen MHz below the MoCA network) and so on.

I'd be curious if there ever is/was any MoCA 1.1 bridges with a gigabit port, but honestly it just might not add anything at all. MoCA 2.0 though probably would have benefited from gigabit ports as I think it was around 600Mbps or something like that.

Worked out great. She has a laptop and a PS3 in her room. MOCA to the PS3 is a lot better than the old G card it has installed.