What's new

Traffic Monitor No Data in Daily & Monthly

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vodafone tags the internet port with Vlan 10. I'll do some testing between my two routers tonight and see if tagged traffic is being ignored by rstat. I looked over the source code real quick this morning before work. I did notice that the code seems to check for a vlan tag 1. But that was just a real quick out the door scan.

Cheers
Thanks appreciate your help. Hope this gets resolved.

You can also help yourself by trying Jeffrey's suggestion in post #37.
Sorry somehow I missed that. Don't have an extra router but can arrange one to test. Thanks

You can also help yourself by trying Jeffrey's suggestion in post #37.

Well, my testing did not go well. I was hoping to use the scripts from https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-86u-vlanctl-ethctl-usage-puzzle.54375/ and this issue as an excuse to try out vlans on my 86U, but after the first two router reboots with still no luck in getting a port set up with vlan10, I got the evil eye from my girls (two of whom are doing university online courses), so I had to give up. Maybe this weekend if the router is not being used.

I did find another cool feature of the 68U though in that in IPTV, you can select one of the lan ports to link directly to the WAN port so that it can get a second IP, if offered, from the ISP. I inadvertently set Lan Port 3 to IPTV non tagged on the 86U and was puzzled when the 68U got a ISP IP address at the WAN. Took me a few minutes to figure that out.

Anyway, sorry I could not get this tested. If the opportunity arises this weekend, I will give it a shot.

I can't test this myself as I don't have that kind of connection. But as far as I can tell with IPTV enabled the WAN interface becomes vlan100 rather than the usual eth0 or vlan2.

I couldn't really follow the rstats source code to understand the implications of that.

The rstat file only records what is on the wan port.

Most Canadian ISP don't have any tagging so we don't need to set up the IPTV settings at all (except for Bell Fibe if you elect not to use their fibre modem).

You could put it to the test. If you have an old router that you can use as your primary, then setup the 68U as a secondary router (lan port of primary to wan port of the 68U), setup the 68U wan as dhcp and turn off IPTV and get some traffic to go through the secondary router and see if you get traffic recorded on your real time graph.

Other than that, I am at my end. I am out of ideas.
Ok I tried what you said above and it seems to be working, Only thing I don't understand is that when I went to the GUI after connecting the modem and doing what you said above. there was a message saying IP conflict detected & it made me change the router IP to 192.168.2.1. Primary modem is 192.168.1.254 & IP address pool is 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253. Asus LAN setting were 192.168.1.1 DHCP 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1. 50 & now it has changed to IP 192.168.2.1 & Range 192.168.2.1 to 192.168.2.254

Ok I tried what you said above and it seems to be working, Only thing I don't understand is that when I went to the GUI after connecting the modem and doing what you said above. there was a message saying IP conflict detected & it made me change the router IP to 192.168.2.1. Primary modem is 192.168.1.254 & IP address pool is 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253. Asus LAN setting were 192.168.1.1 DHCP 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1. 50 & now it has changed to IP 192.168.2.1 & Range 192.168.2.1 to 192.168.2.254

So we now know that tomato_rstats does not handle tagged traffic. That is disappointing. That may affect me in the future.

With respect to your router changing IP address, assuming both routers are using /24 subnet, it sounds like both your front end router and your secondary router were on the same subnet (192.168.1.0/24). Since the secondary router is a NAT as well, having both routers on the same subnet is basically asking the secondary router to talk to itself. It is neat that the router was smart enough to figure that out. Older routers just returned the loopback address for the WAN address if it tried to get a dynamic address from the upstream router on the same subnet.

So we now know that tomato_rstats does not handle tagged traffic. That is disappointing. That may affect me in the future.

With respect to your router changing IP address, assuming both routers are using /24 subnet, it sounds like both your front end router and your secondary router were on the same subnet (192.168.1.0/24). Since the secondary router is a NAT as well, having both routers on the same subnet is basically asking the secondary router to talk to itself. It is neat that the router was smart enough to figure that out. Older routers just returned the loopback address for the WAN address if it tried to get a dynamic address from the upstream router on the same subnet.
I changed the primary router IP to 192.168.2.1 & it's all good now. I can either leave it running like this or move to another or move to another provider who doesn't do VLAN tagging. Why do you say this may affect you in future?

I changed the primary router IP to 192.168.2.1 & it's all good now. I can either leave it running like this or move to another or move to another provider who doesn't do VLAN tagging. Why do you say this may affect you in future?

Rumor has it that Bell Canada will be installing their fibre service in my area within the next couple of years. I don't plan on using thier fibre hub (Home Hub 3000) as my router as it is power hungry, no where near feature rich and has hidden networks that allow Ma Bell to see what you are doing. My plan is to use a media converter (Fibre SFP to ethernet) and my own AC86U, but like you, Ma Bell uses VLAN 35 for their internet traffic. I like the traffic stat on the router as it allows to me to evaluate rather I am getting value to my $$ that I may out.

If you choose to leave yourself double NATed, don't forget to set up port forwarding on your primary router for any services that "call home" from the WAN side, if you use any services (VPN Server for example).

Rumor has it that Bell Canada will be installing their fibre service in my area within the next couple of years. I don't plan on using thier fibre hub (Home Hub 3000) as my router as it is power hungry, no where near feature rich and has hidden networks that allow Ma Bell to see what you are doing. My plan is to use a media converter (Fibre SFP to ethernet) and my own AC86U, but like you, Ma Bell uses VLAN 35 for their internet traffic. I like the traffic stat on the router as it allows to me to evaluate rather I am getting value to my $$ that I may out.

If you choose to leave yourself double NATed, don't forget to set up port forwarding on your primary router for any services that "call home" from the WAN side, if you use any services (VPN Server for example).
Yeah I was wondering about that. Haven't set up VPN again since I reset my router to try and troubleshoot this traffic issue. So for eg if I set up VPN on Asus which port do I need to forward on primary router. Also is DnS over TLS, skynet etc. still working as it's set up on primary router. What does this log mean-
Jun 7 08:28:06 Skynet: [*] Private WAN IP Detected 192.168.2.2 - Please Put Your Modem In Bridge Mode / Disable CG-NAT

Last edited:
One more thing. Some device numbers double up in the number of clients & when I click on view list I see '2 clients are connecting to RT-AC68U using this device against some devices!!
IMG.jpg

Last edited:
Skynet is an IP based firewall. In a double NAT configuration, it is not very useful as the WAN will always be one IP address. The downside of your current setup. No real solution I am afraid.

You could leave Skynet working on the primary router and let it be the first line of defense and let the secondary router's firewall be the second line of defense.

Putting your primary router into bridge mode will only pass the WAN through to your secondary router thus negating the whole purpose of your setup. Unless you can live without the traffic monitor.

The issue of your devices showing more than one connection. Lots of threads here discussing what the router is truly telling you, but no real concrete answers. Make sure the wifi radios on your primary router are turned off, if any. Just in case you are getting two connections.

For the port forwarding, to be clear, this is only if you have a VPN Server setup (or any other service that requires someone to drill into you). A VPN client drills out, so nothing needs to be done. Go to your server setup screen. There, you will usually have an option to choose which port and protocol you wish the service to use. Note it. That is the port and protocol you want to forward.

Cheers

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I am new to these forums but posted a question in the 384.19 thread asking about a similar problem I was having. My provider uses VLAN tagging, and I was trying out Merlin for the first time to try to get some detailed traffic stats. Nothing visible on the Internet Connection (WAN) tab in Traffic Monitoring. @Jeffrey Young kindly offered some advice in that thread, but it was OT so we left the discussion there.

Anyway, the way I got around the problem was the following. This may have been posted elsewhere, but I didn't find it, so am posting here in case it's useful.

What I did was:
1. Enable QoS, type = Bandwidth Limiting. This disables the "Runner" HW acceleration process, as can be seen under the Tools menu.
2. ssh into the router and enter the command "fc disable". This disables the "Flow Cache" HW acceleration. (For some reason Tools shows it as still enabled, but that's OK).

Traffic Monitoring then started working for me on the Internet Connection (WAN) tab.

Sweat. I'll keep that info in the back pocket for the next time.

I have changed my setup so no more VLAN tagging but I don't see any data in Monthly. Other options work fine. @Jeffrey Young any ideas? Since no VLAN tagging so I believe @wuckawucka solution doesn't apply to me. Since daily is showing data I am assuming location is fine, it is set to USB drive.

You see any data in Daily?

Just to confirm, have you tried the suggestion that @wuckawucka made to get his system working? I don't use anything trend, so I have no QoS. I also don't use NAT acceleration (I have no need for it as my ISP is only 50 mbits.

Other than resetting the data file incase it is corrupt and checking the syslog to see if RSTATS is reporting any error (if it does - I don't remember seeing any error messages when I was looking at the source code), I don't really have anything more to suggest looking at. Sorry

You see any data in Daily?

Just to confirm, have you tried the suggestion that @wuckawucka made to get his system working? I don't use anything trend, so I have no QoS. I also don't use NAT acceleration (I have no need for it as my ISP is only 50 mbits.

Other than resetting the data file incase it is corrupt and checking the syslog to see if RSTATS is reporting any error (if it does - I don't remember seeing any error messages when I was looking at the source code), I don't really have anything more to suggest looking at. Sorry
Yes I see data in Daily. I don't think @wuckawucka suggestion applies to me as not using VALN tagging. Asus is connected to 4G LTE modem which is in bridge mode. I see data in WAN also so looks like something else is causing monthly not to populate. I see all data in per device monitoring.
Also, I used the excel script to read rstats file and I see data in Monthly column.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG

Last edited:
So data is being recorded. If September is the first month of recording data, lets wait until October to see if anything appears in the GUI. It's been over a year that I started using traffic monitoring, but if memory serves, my monthly stats in the gui did not appear until after the end of the first month.

So data is being recorded. If September is the first month of recording data, lets wait until October to see if anything appears in the GUI. It's been over a year that I started using traffic monitoring, but if memory serves, my monthly stats in the gui did not appear until after the end of the first month.
@Jeffrey Young Your were right. It started showing after a few days. Thanks

I am not sure my workaround is related to (made necessary by) VLAN tagging, but it may be. I only started using Merlin in early September, just after switching to a provider that uses tagging.

BTW I got sick of having to ssh in and run "fc disable" if the router was power cycled. I missed counting a few days data due to that. So I figured out the scripts thing tonight. Solution was to create the script /jffs/scripts/services-start, containing "/bin/fc disable". But I'm sure you guys already know how to do this.

After getting data counting working, like @Khadanja I was watching daily data stats while waiting for monthly stats to appear. This seems to happen on the 1st of the month, or maybe first day of monthly billing cycle, which for me is the 1st. So because I started recording traffic after the first of September, I get nothing for September usage - seems strange. October data is incrementing every day.