What's new

Translite Global TL-MC84 MOCA 2.5 not working with my Xfinity 1GBPS plan with dedicated switch and router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

daliparty

New Around Here
Hello Everyone,

I am using Xfinity 1GBPS net plan and my setup has a dedicated switch(SB8200) and Router TP LINK Archer AX6000

My Setup:

I have a coax port(Xfinity Internet) which connects to modem and then ethernet LAN1 of modem to my router WAN port.

I now want to use MOCA 2.5 in my media room to hook up my laptop.

I have connected the coax port(Xfinity Internet) to a Moca 2.5 IN/OUT coax --> MOCA coax to Modem coax --> Modem ethernet to Router WAN port --> Router Lan port to Moca 2.5 LAN1

Now, I am able to access the modem and internet but MOCA is not working. There is no light on MOCA port. Please find the attached images for reference.

Please help!!

Attachments

• Connected ports.jpg
    Connected ports.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 327
  • Port Detials.PNG
    Port Detials.PNG
    283.4 KB · Views: 281
dedicated switch(SB8200)
This should be dedicated “modem,” right?

First thought ... w/o reading another word ... is that you may want to install a MoCA filter directly on the modem’s coax port, as a prophylactic, to protect the DOCSIS 3.1 modem from MoCA signals. (Past threads have indicated that the SB8200 is sensitive to MoCA signals that fall within the DOCSIS 3.1 frequency range.)

Second thought... you may have the coax connections on the main MoCA adapter reversed. I would think that the “MoCA” port should connect to your shared coax plant, where you’re looking to traffic in MoCA, and the IN-OUT port would be used as a pass-through to the SB8200 modem.

- - -
p.s. It’s possible that the MoCA signal attenuation from connecting the modem via the MoCA adapter’s pass-through port is sufficient to protect the SB8200 from the MoCA signals, but keep my prior suggestion in mind if the modem misbehaves once you have a working MoCA network.

This should be dedicated “modem,” right?

First thought ... w/o reading another word ... is that you may want to install a MoCA filter directly on the modem’s coax port, as a prophylactic, to protect the DOCSIS 3.1 modem from MoCA signals. (Past threads have indicated that the SB8200 is sensitive to MoCA signals that fall within the DOCSIS 3.1 frequency range.)
Hello Krkaufman,

I am new to Moca. I just want to use MOCA in my media room for better network connectivity. As both my modem and router do not have inbuilt MOCA support. I got 2 MOCA adapters.

Living Room Setup:

I have connected the coax port(Xfinity Internet) to a Moca 2.5 IN/OUT coax --> MOCA coax to Modem coax --> Modem ethernet to Router WAN port --> Router Lan port to Moca 2.5 LAN1

Thank you.

Third thought... you *will* need a second MoCA adapter to establish a link. And it’s recommended to start by proving the adapters work by connecting them to each other directly, using a short coax patch cable. (“MoCA” port to “MoCA” port)

The MoCA/coax status LED only lights-up once a MoCA connection is established, requiring at least two MoCA adapters (properly) connected via coax.

A sketch of all of coax layout, where each cable end lands and what it is connected to is very useful. Show all devices connected including splitters. Start from the demarcation box used by the cable company to each of the coax outlets in the house. Sometimes there are interfering devices that will block moca signals.

refer to some of the other threads with similar issues of layout for examples of what we need.

the easiest usage of moca is on a dedicated cable run between the moca devices. Once a Doccis cable modem is thrown into the layout, it gets complicated as doccis 3.1 uses some of the frequency channels used by moca. Moca2.5 uses 5 channels. Doccis3.1 will take away 1 or 2 of those, reducing the available bandwidth by 20-40%.

if there is a splitter or amplified splitter in the moca path, it has to be rated “certified” for moca frequency range. Otherwise it will block the moca signal.

Last edited:
Repeating the second of my three comments on the setup...
Second thought... you may have the coax connections on the main MoCA adapter reversed. I would think that the “MoCA” port should connect to your shared coax plant, where you’re looking to traffic in MoCA, and the IN-OUT port would be used as a pass-through to the SB8200 modem.

Confirmed by checking the Translite product page, here, and reviewing the example diagrams included. (So, modem connects to "IN-OUT" port, "MoCA" port connects to wall outlet ... which leads to incoming cable provider signal.)

Translite modem connection.png

Last edited:
Doesn't the IN/Out port only pass 5-1002 Mhz ?
That should cause issues with Docis 3.1 and maybe 3.0. All of their diagrams show direct path between ISP and DOCSIS gateway.
1618350021547.png

Doesn't the IN/Out port only pass 5-1002 Mhz ?
That should cause issues with Docis 3.1 and maybe 3.0. All of their diagrams show direct path between ISP and DOCSIS gateway.
View attachment 33164

It would, IF the provider is actually using DOCSIS 3.1 frequencies. Few are. And I figure the OP needs to walk before they run ... and get the MoCA adapter connected correctly.

As for Translite’s diagrams, not all, as I uploaded one that shows a modem connected via the MoCA adapter’s pass-through.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!