What's new

Translite MoCA 2.5 adapters need reboot every few days...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

btkc

New Around Here
I purchased a pair of the Translite MoCA 2.5 adapters and have everything set up in my house (including the PoE filter). Throughput is fine, I'm on gigabit service and get 850+ "on the other end". After testing throughput once I was done setting it up, I connected the adapter to a node in my AiMesh setup as a wired backhaul. I haven't yet pinpointed the exact frequency yet but I've noticed that every so often that wired backhaul is disconnected and that my MoCA adapter connected the node has the MoCA light always off. The adapter has a power toggle and once I toggle that off/on the MoCA connection comes back up.

I've never had any issues with throughput so I'm not sure if it's necessarily an issue of signal quality, but I'm not exactly sure what is causing this. Would it be safe to rule out the node itself causing the issue? I might try directly connecting a PC to the adapter instead of the node and see what happens...

Do you have two adapters direct-connected via coax, or is it a splitter situation? If split, what’s the coax topology? And if you have a cable modem connected to the MoCA-infused coax, what’s its brand & model #?

Last edited:
I purchased a pair of the Translite MoCA 2.5 adapters and have everything set up in my house (including the PoE filter). Throughput is fine, I'm on gigabit service and get 850+ "on the other end". After testing throughput once I was done setting it up, I connected the adapter to a node in my AiMesh setup as a wired backhaul. I haven't yet pinpointed the exact frequency yet but I've noticed that every so often that wired backhaul is disconnected and that my MoCA adapter connected the node has the MoCA light always off. The adapter has a power toggle and once I toggle that off/on the MoCA connection comes back up.

I've never had any issues with throughput so I'm not sure if it's necessarily an issue of signal quality, but I'm not exactly sure what is causing this. Would it be safe to rule out the node itself causing the issue? I might try directly connecting a PC to the adapter instead of the node and see what happens...

I don't think the node is causing the MoCA link to drop... more likely the adapter or coax network or interference on the MoCA coax.

I think you can wire the MoCA adapters in a loop to test them... coax to coax, Ethernet to Ethernet... they should appear active and stay active. Then you can open the Ethernet and use them to connect your PC to your router to confirm Internet access... they should stay up. If all of that works as you would expect... investigate your coax network. Know that DOCSIS3.1 can overlap MoCA frequencies.
DOCSIS vs MoCA.png

OE

hkZ6zhn.png

Do you have two adapters direct-connected via coax, or is it a splitter situation? If split, what’s the coax topology? And if you have a cable modem connected to the MoCA-infused coax, what’s its brand & model #?

Sorry for the ugly mspaint. MoCA Adapter #1 is the one that needs power cycling... Also, the only cable service I have is internet (no Cable TV service).

The cable modem I have should be the Technicolor XB7

Last edited:
I might try directly connecting a PC to the adapter instead of the node and see what happens...

Have you done this yet? Use any LAN client.

OE

Have you done this yet? Use any LAN client.

OE

I'll give that a shot in the next couple of days. I haven't yet figured out how frequent the MoCA signal gets dropped (could be a few days) so it's hard to get a handle of the results of such an experiment if I was to try it.

I'll give that a shot in the next couple of days. I haven't yet figured out how frequent the MoCA signal gets dropped (could be a few days) so it's hard to get a handle of the results of such an experiment if I was to try it.

Looking at your diagram, the ideal configuration would be a dedicated MoCA coax between the MoCA adapters, excluding the cable modem coax.

Or see page 9 about configuring the adapters to coexist with DOCSIS cable service.

TL-MC84-Quick-Start-Guide.pdf (transliteglobal.com)

OE

Last edited:
It would help if you provided the exact model numbers for the cable modem and moca modems from the device itself. Also, which area of the world this is in.

It would help if you provided the exact model numbers for the cable modem and moca modems from the device itself. Also, which area of the world this is in.
I'm located in the Toronto area in Canada with Rogers as my ISP... The modem is the Technicolor CGM4331COM and the moca adapters I have are the Translite TL-MC84...

Looking at your diagram, the ideal configuration would be a dedicated MoCA coax between the MoCA adapters, excluding the cable modem coax.

Or see page 9 about configuring the adapters to coexist with DOCSIS cable service.

TL-MC84-Quick-Start-Guide.pdf (transliteglobal.com)

OE

I definitely recall looking at this when I first got the adapters but looking at it again (page 9), where does the coax line coming in from the street (my ISP) go? The connection from the in-out of the first adapter to the Cable modem disconnects it from the street no?

That modem is DOCCIS 3.1 and has MOCA2.0 onboard. Both of those can cause issues with a second MOCA network.
You will need to log into the modem and see is moca 2 is enabled, and what bands the DOCCIS side is using on the cable.

That modem is DOCCIS 3.1 and has MOCA2.0 onboard. Both of those can cause issues with a second MOCA network.
You will need to log into the modem and see is moca 2 is enabled, and what bands the DOCCIS side is using on the cable.

I have my modem in bridge mode so MoCA is disabled. In terms of the frequencies, I didn't see anything above 950 MHz (I get nearly full throughput consistently over the MoCA network while it's up). I believe that should mean there's no overlapping...

I definitely recall looking at this when I first got the adapters but looking at it again (page 9), where does the coax line coming in from the street (my ISP) go? The connection from the in-out of the first adapter to the Cable modem disconnects it from the street no?

Oops, I meant page 10... about DOCSIS cable modem and MoCA compatibility as is currently being discussed.

OE

swap the power adapters from #1 moca modem to #2 and see if the problem moves.

put a moca POE block on the coax port on the ISP modem. It shouldn't cause too much signal drop for your ISP, but you can check the before and after ISP down/up power levels and s/n ratios.

When the moca light goes off, that means sync is lost. It could be a marginal signal (cable, splitter, modem issues), interference on the coax, power blips, etc. If you can get to diagnostic pages in these modems, take a look after the one looses sync.
If you hook up the two modems over a single piece of coax (at least a couple meters), let them sync, and leave them alone for a few days, does the modem loose sync ?

Have you checked all of the coax connections and re-seated and tightened them ? check for corrosion on the the male and female connector. Look for wire wiskers from the overall shield inside the male connector or a too short center conductor in the male connector.

Last edited:
swap the power adapters from #1 moca modem to #2 and see if the problem moves.

put a moca POE block on the coax port on the ISP modem. It shouldn't cause too much signal drop for your ISP, but you can check the before and after ISP down/up power levels and s/n ratios.

When the moca light goes off, that means sync is lost. It could be a marginal signal (cable, splitter, modem issues), interference on the coax, power blips, etc. If you can get to diagnostic pages in these modems, take a look after the one looses sync.
If you hook up the two modems over a single piece of coax (at least a couple meters), let them sync, and leave them alone for a few days, does the modem loose sync ?

Have you checked all of the coax connections and re-seated and tightened them ? check for corrosion on the the male and female connector. Look for wire wiskers from the overall shield inside the male connector or a too short center conductor in the male connector.
Thanks for the tips, I'll give them a shot. I've already got a POE block on the line coming in from the street. Swapping the power blocks and checking the logs will be something I'll try for sure as well.

In fact, I don't know if this is the culprit but in logging into the two adapters to set the pg 10 instructions as linked by @OzarkEdge I noticed that the LOF on the two adapters weren't set equally and that the desyncing one was set lower to 1150 MHz (the 'good' one was set to 1400 MHz). That got corrected and throughputs are still good... Perhaps that's the issue.

that is configuring to use D high band assuming interference from DOCCIS3.1
In your case, you should be able to use the lower value and get all five channels to work

In fact, I don't know if this is the culprit but in logging into the two adapters to set the pg 10 instructions as linked by @OzarkEdge I noticed that the LOF on the two adapters weren't set equally and that the desyncing one was set lower to 1150 MHz (the 'good' one was set to 1400 MHz). That got corrected and throughputs are still good... Perhaps that's the issue.

Hmmm... a difference in defaults suggests starting over with a reset to defaults for both adapters.

OE

Interesting... I've only ever had one of the adapters desync (MoCA light off) but came back from an errand today (after updating the LOF this morning) to find that the usually-fine adapter desynced.

Unfortunately, doesn't seem like logs are easy to get from accessing the adapter. Might need to look this up a bit.

Interesting... I've only ever had one of the adapters desync (MoCA light off) but came back from an errand today (after updating the LOF this morning) to find that the usually-fine adapter desynced.

Unfortunately, doesn't seem like logs are easy to get from accessing the adapter. Might need to look this up a bit.

If you put them in their own loop and they run fine, I would suspect your coax plant and/or a conflict with the cable/DOCSIS service.

OE

Have you reset them all to factory defaults? And are they all running the same firmware version?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!