What's new

Transmission...for Asuswrt/Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

use
Code:
ifconfig br0:trans 192.168.1.10 up
0 alias is used by the 5ghz

I think br0:0 vs br0:trans might be a router-specific requirement?
I've used br0:0 for maybe 4 years now on my AC-86U and it has works flawlessly and as intended (both my 2.4 and 5 Ghz radios are disabled FYI).
It appears br0:trans might be needed for newer models.
Just FYI in case others find this useful.

Hello, everybody, I am trying to understand if it is possible to use VPN only on Download Master using ASUS RT-AC68U for torrent download? Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.386_43129. I have VPN provider (VPN unlimited), I already added VPN profile to the ASUS rooter, but the problme is that it effects the whole internet speed, so this is why I want that only Download Master could use VPN. So can someone to explain or write simple steps (if it is possible) how to do that using ASUS RT-AC68U? I tried to read theses 5 pages but it was not clear to me what exatly I should do and how to implement the VPN only in Download Master. So is there someone who could help me to solve my situation?

Hello, everybody, I am trying to understand if it is possible to use VPN only on Download Master using ASUS RT-AC68U for torrent download? So is there someone who could help me to solve my situation?
Your problem is actually more complex. Routing download master only through the VPN is only one small part of the reason it would affect your overall network speed. Running download manager itself has overhead as it uses the CPU, memory and read/write access to your storage device (which also plays a role).

I can't answer your specific question as I don't run downloads from my router but there are MANY threads on routing specific services through a VPN.

IMO, your best bet is to move downloads (and anything else you possibly can) OFF your router so that the router can use all its resources to do what you need it to do, route internet traffic.

If you don't already have a device capable of downloading, then look into a Raspberry Pi. If will cost you roughly $50 but then it can handle your downloading (with much better and manageable software) and you can easily route it's traffic through your VPN by IP address. It also does many other things that you may be interested in.

Just my opinion

Your problem is actually more complex. Routing download master only through the VPN is only one small part of the reason it would affect your overall network speed. Running download manager itself has overhead as it uses the CPU, memory and read/write access to your storage device (which also plays a role).

I can't answer your specific question as I don't run downloads from my router but there are MANY threads on routing specific services through a VPN.

IMO, your best bet is to move downloads (and anything else you possibly can) OFF your router so that the router can use all its resources to do what you need it to do, route internet traffic.

If you don't already have a device capable of downloading, then look into a Raspberry Pi. If will cost you roughly $50 but then it can handle your downloading (with much better and manageable software) and you can easily route it's traffic through your VPN by IP address. It also does many other things that you may be interested in.

Just my opinion
Thanks for your opinion! I have no problem about the speed using Download Manager when I am not using the VPN, because a lot depends on VPN provider. Download master I only use because it is very simple and nice way to download the movie directly to the HDD drive, which is accessible for all my TV's at my apartment (Living room, two bedrooms, kitchen). So for me it is very comfortable to access movies no matter which TV is on, the thing is the same WiFi. Download master I can use from my phone to start download the movie, and don't think about it at all until I will see it available to watch on TV. So there is no other parts working - just HDD and ASUS router, so this make some sense when you have less parts moving. If it is really simple to do it with Raspberry PI and I will get the same what I want and even better, than $50 is forth of it. But if there is needed additional knowledge how to program it, then I should study, google a lot, but my thing is maybe someone has already done it with ASUS RT-AC68U without any additional hardware.
I do understand that the knowledge has the price, so if someone has already solved it, then maybe can share with me. I could buy a bear or coffee or just send some $ for the time to write exactly how to do it.

If im not mistaken download master uses a version of transmission, although i havent found anything online where someone tried to edit its internal settings.

youre probably better off installing entware and transmission on your harddrive so you can bind the ip and redirect the traffic through your vpn. You can just set the location transmission downloads to to be the same as download master and your tvs wont notice a difference.

Hello, every body, My question is how to get the Transmission in Web GUI as shown in the first thread page? Is it possible or it is still in the development stage?

You'll need a time machine to go back to 2016. :)

Hello, every body, My question is how to get the Transmission in Web GUI as shown in the first thread page? Is it possible or it is still in the development stage?
As @L&LD has pointed out, this was way back in the days of 2016 when the thought of addons was a pipe dream. We SNBForum users huddled in a thread mentioning how cool the thought was (for example this post http://www.snbforums.com/threads/transmission-for-asuswrt-merlin.31278/post-247694 ), but no one was daring enough to take the plunge (Aside from the limited yet inspirational guides posted by @kvic). Now Asuswrt-Merlin script developers have matured to the point where most feel comfortable drafting a Webui addon.

Last edited:
As @L&LD has pointed out, this was way back in the days of 2016 when the thought of addons was a pipe dream. We SNBForum users huddled in a thread mentioning how cool the thought was (for example this post http://www.snbforums.com/threads/transmission-for-asuswrt-merlin.31278/post-247694 ), but no one was daring enough to take the plunge (Aside from the limited yet inspirational guides posted by @kvic). Now Asuswrt-Merlin script developers have matured to the point where most feel comfortable drafting a Webui addon.
Very nice to get an explanation, thanks! :)
I have other question: is it possible to reach Transmitter outside the internal LAN? I mean when I am on my network I can accesses it 192.168.1.1:9091, how to do that on my mobile using different internet provider? I manage to access main routers settings using ****.asuscomm.com, so how to do it with Transmission?

Hi guys,
very interesting discussion, understandable even by a newbie like me!
I have two questions though:
  1. How can I check that Transmission is actually routed through the VPN?
  2. If my VPN configuration is "Redirect internet traffic thought tunnel" = "Yes, all", shall I still do the binding (as described here), or also Transmission will automatically use the VPN?
Thanks in advance!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!