What's new

Transmission...for Asuswrt/Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you , worked great!

Can't believe I'm the only one who either uses 5GHz either didn't understand that alias from tutorial is wrong and should be modified manually.

Wow!! Is work!! Thanks all for your support!

I have vpn that support port forwarding.. I will search for this now..

Has anyone tried disabling transmission until the vpn is up in services-start?

Not exactly sure how to disable a service from boot in Entware, but killing it after Entware gets loaded and waiting until the VPN Client goes up might work..?
To be placed under the entware portion in services-start:
Code:
#Kill and wait for VPN
/opt/etc/init.d/S88transmission kill
until [ $(nvram get vpn_client1_state) -gt 1 ]
        do
            logger "Waiting 5 seconds for VPN..."
            sleep 5
        done
/opt/etc/init.d/S88transmission start

Has anyone tried disabling transmission until the vpn is up in services-start?

Not exactly sure how to disable a service from boot in Entware, but killing it after Entware gets loaded and waiting until the VPN Client goes up might work..?
To be placed under the entware portion in services-start:
Code:
#Kill and wait for VPN
/opt/etc/init.d/S88transmission kill
until [ $(nvram get vpn_client1_state) -gt 1 ]
        do
            logger "Waiting 5 seconds for VPN..."
            sleep 5
        done
/opt/etc/init.d/S88transmission start

It is work?! :)

On my AC86u with a big swap partition, Transmission crashes and hangs the router using this method. The same torrent without the VPN and binding is fine. Anyone else has similar issues?

OK, I know this is an old topic but I searched everywhere for an answer but I can't find it. Hopefully you can give me a fresh idea.

The peer listening port stays closed. When I try one of the port checking sites I get the response that connection is refused. If I try another port it just says it can't be reached, but at least not refused. Downloading works great, I can reach 9091 just fine. VPN works, no leaks. But peer listening port... No dice.
If I change the port to the previously unreachable port it now says "refused" instead of can't be reached.

What I've tried:

-Including in IP tables as suggested here, works for 9091, not for peer listening port...
-Use built in transmission port forward function/upnp,no dice
-Add portforwarding in the router forwarding page, using IP binded address and the routers own address, nope

Any takers?

use
Code:
ifconfig br0:trans 192.168.1.10 up
0 alias is used by the 5ghz
do we have to remove ifconfig br0:0 192.168.1.10 ?
It's showing as this not sure if it's normal:
Code:
br0:0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 40:B0:76:xx:xx:xx
          inet addr:169.254.39.55  Bcast:169.254.39.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING ALLMULTI MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

step 2:
OpenVPN Client - set "Start with WAN" to "Yes"
OpenVPN Client - Redirect Internet traffic - Policy rules
Rules for routing client traffic through the tunnel
add IP 192.168.1.10 to the list

I know this is a very old thread, but maybe somebody still looking into it. On the step 2 listed here you have to add the Transmission client IP address as defined in the settings.json file. I did it as follows:

1599402896993.png

Is that what is needed? Should I chose VPN or WAN as the interface? Just leave the rest blank?
The setup is not working for me so far hence the question! Thanks!

I know this is a very old thread, but maybe somebody still looking into it. On the step 2 listed here you have to add the Transmission client IP address as defined in the settings.json file. I did it as follows:

View attachment 26022

Is that what is needed? Should I chose VPN or WAN as the interface? Just leave the rest blank?
The setup is not working for me so far hence the question! Thanks!
Yes, that is what is needed in step 2.
Do you already have a working setup for VPN client so you know that your VPN client works?
Did you follow the other steps?

Also, change step 1 with the following by Jack Yaz.

It you insert your credentials on web ui VPN client it's not enough for transmission?
I guess you mean routing all traffic through VPN and in that case I believe it should be enough. The point here is to make only transmission traffic go through it and have all other router clients use the wan.

I guess you mean routing all traffic through VPN and in that case I believe it should be enough. The point here is to make only transmission traffic go through it and have all other router clients use the wan.

I have a Rt ac68u, routing all traffic through VPN affects performance of the router?

The short answer is yes. Does it matter?
Only testing would tell you what is the real penalty, and if you can live with it or not.

I tested ubuntu.iso torrent with openvpn active, I can download at 3 mb/s maximum, without openvpn at 4 mb/s.With my pc i can download that torrent at 12 mb/s.There's a way to optimize transmission downloading?I have RT AC68U, with Rt AC86U I could download at maximum speed?

I tested ubuntu.iso torrent with openvpn active, I can download at 3 mb/s maximum, without openvpn at 4 mb/s.With my pc i can download that torrent at 12 mb/s.There's a way to optimize transmission downloading?I have RT AC68U, with Rt AC86U I could download at maximum speed?
I am not really sure what you are asking.
You are saying in the previous post that you are routing everything through VPN in the router.
You are saying an active OpenVPN then gives your 3 Mbytes/s and inactive gives you 4 Mbytes/s. I assume you mean active OpenVPN client here.

You also mention you receive 12 Mbytes/s on your computer. Are you then using a VPN application on your computer or not?

Sorry, I am not following what internet speed your ISP is providing you since the speeds do not really match one another.

Anyway, normally you will not get higher than 50 Mbit/s on a RT-AC68U with an active OpenVPN client on the router. A RT-AC86U will get you to about 200 Mbits/s if your internet speed anf VPN provider can give you that.

I am not really sure what you are asking.
You are saying in the previous post that you are routing everything through VPN in the router.
You are saying an active OpenVPN then gives your 3 Mbytes/s and inactive gives you 4 Mbytes/s. I assume you mean active OpenVPN client here.

You also mention you receive 12 Mbytes/s on your computer. Are you then using a VPN application on your computer or not?

Sorry, I am not following what internet speed your ISP is providing you since the speeds do not really match one another.

Anyway, normally you will not get higher than 50 Mbit/s on a RT-AC68U with an active OpenVPN client on the router. A RT-AC86U will get you to about 200 Mbits/s if your internet speed anf VPN provider can give you that.

My isp provider gives 200 Mbits/s so my pc can reach 12 Mbytes/s without vpn, my router with entware arrives maximum at 4 or 5 Mbytes/s depends on vpn active or not.
Maybe now if i want to increase speed with entware and torrent, it would be better to buy an asus router even with ax protocol.

Last edited:
My isp provider gives 200 Mbits/s so my pc can reach 12 Mbytes/s without vpn, my router with entware arrives maximum at 4 or 5 Mbytes/s depends on vpn active or not.
Maybe now if i want to increase speed with entware and torrent, it would be better to buy an asus router even with ax protocol.
Entware has nothing to do with it.
If you want 200 Mbit/s with OpenVPN through your router you will have to buy a router with hardware acceleration. To my knowledge, the two Asus routers with Merlin FW that have this are, RT-AC86U and RT-AX88U. Search the forum for hardware acceleration and perhaps you will find more routers that has this feature.

Last edited:
Specifically, AES-NI acceleration. To make the VPN clients as fast as possible depending on the end-point ISP speeds.

did anyone try to push Transmission traffic via WireGuard, installed on router? I believe the only difference will be IP binding and additional rule in iptables, no?

did anyone try to push Transmission traffic via WireGuard, installed on router? I believe the only difference will be IP binding and additional rule in iptables, no?
I do not use Wireguard so I am not certain. But I do not see any difference.
You still have to bind IP in Transmission config and enter what is needed in firewall-start with OpenVPN. View the link.

The only difference that I can see is if you put the Policy Routing in OpenVPN or in Wireguard.
Or do you mean adding iptables for port forwarding?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!