What's new

Transmission on a R-pi3 stops responding on an Asus RT-AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

benjaminn

New Around Here
Hi,
Whenever I try to add more than a torrent at the same time (or a very large file) to Transmission, installed on a R-pi3 that's wired to an Asus RT-AC66U, transmission just stops responding.
This also happened when transmission was installed on the RT-AC66U through Optware/Entware (don't remember wich one, was some time ago) using Asuswrt-Merlin firmware, so i guess the problem is not on the R-pi3 side.
When this happens and I try to restart the R-pi3 it takes a very long time because the shutdown process can't stop Transmission so i usually have to restart it by disconnecting the power cable.
The downloads are stored on a HDD plugged-in to the router wich is formatted as NTFS so i can acces it from my windows computer.
I've tried 3 different HDD with the same outcome.
Please can anyone help me resolve this problem?
Thank you in advance.

Maybe some more specific - I'm not going to assume you're on WiFi with the Pi3, but rather cabled up.

The WiFi on the Pi3 is a bit iffy, and it's much better to use ethernet or a 3rd party USB WiFi dongle rather than the onboard wifi.

With the Pi3 - quality power is extremely important - the "official" power supply does work, and I've seen the MCMElectronics 2.4A adapter work - most cellphone chargers will run low on voltage on a heavy load, and this will crash the Pi (and sometimes eat the card).

So also assuming that you're doing a SMB mount from the USB drive attached to the Asus, correct?

With Transmission - might consider max global connections to around 50, if things are stable, then bump it up - same with max connections for new transfers - start around 20 and then slowly find the limit there.

Something to consider - doing a simple SAMBA server set up on the Pi3, and run the disk from the Pi itself (not bus powered however). I can point you to a simple samba setup on one of the other sub-forums if this is interesting for you.

tha
Maybe some more specific - I'm not going to assume you're on WiFi with the Pi3, but rather cabled up.

The WiFi on the Pi3 is a bit iffy, and it's much better to use ethernet or a 3rd party USB WiFi dongle rather than the onboard wifi.

With the Pi3 - quality power is extremely important - the "official" power supply does work, and I've seen the MCMElectronics 2.4A adapter work - most cellphone chargers will run low on voltage on a heavy load, and this will crash the Pi (and sometimes eat the card).

So also assuming that you're doing a SMB mount from the USB drive attached to the Asus, correct?

With Transmission - might consider max global connections to around 50, if things are stable, then bump it up - same with max connections for new transfers - start around 20 and then slowly find the limit there.

Something to consider - doing a simple SAMBA server set up on the Pi3, and run the disk from the Pi itself (not bus powered however). I can point you to a simple samba setup on one of the other sub-forums if this is interesting for you.
Thanks for your quick reply, yes, the r-pi is wired to the router, not using WiFi.
The power suply is the official one, so i don't think power is the issue, as a matter of fact even while transmission is stalled, kodi keeps working fine, although if playing a movie from the HDD it doesn't play smooth.
I used to SMB mount a while back, now I mount the transmission folder by adding this line to the fstab file: "//192.168.1.1/MyBook/Transmission /media/transmission cifs credentials=/etc/.smbcredentials,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,nofail,noauto,x-systemd.automount 0 0" but transmission stalls either way.
Maybe the problem is transmission config, i had this:
"peer-limit-global": 160,
"peer-limit-per-torrent": 30,
I've already changed it as you advised, but i don't think that's the problem either because it worked the same way with the preconfigured settings.

thank you very much.

Thanks for your quick reply, yes, the r-pi is wired to the router, not using WiFi.
The power suply is the official one, so i don't think power is the issue, as a matter of fact even while transmission is stalled, kodi keeps working fine, although if playing a movie from the HDD it doesn't play smooth.

Are you trying to run Kodi and Transmission at the same time?

Also - Raspbian, OpenELEC, or???

have you noticed the rainbow square of death (voltage) or the red square (overheating)?

Are you trying to run Kodi and Transmission at the same time?

Also - Raspbian, OpenELEC, or???

have you noticed the rainbow square of death (voltage) or the red square (overheating)?
Yes, I'm running both at the same time and I've never seen those squares.
I use OSMC and transmission is included as part of it. It runs fine all the time except when stated.
I previously had raspbian installed on the R-pi3, and Kodi and transmission installed on top of it, and the same thing happened.

What happens if you use local storage on the PI - same thing?

32GB thumb drives are cheap these days...