What's new

Tricky request: Can I block EVERYTHING except one URL (netflix) for ONE specific device (my TV)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

timonoj

Occasional Visitor
Hi! So that's basically the question. I have an AC68U, and I'd like to block every internet access, except for the only exception, the Netflix servers. All google/samsung tracking, I'd love to be able to get rid of. But again, I'd need this rule to only apply to that specific device. Is this even possible?

Thanks!

If you could author a firewall-start script to query the IPs for:

Code:
nflxext.com
nflximg.com
nflximg.net
nflxso.net
nflxvideo.net

You could probably use that information to create some iptables rules to do what you want. Even if it worked you might run into problems if the results of that query change with time.

A fairly simple option, although not what you asked for, would be to monitor the traffic to see where that device does communicate, then block those urls. No scripting required.

Neither solution (whitelisting or blacklisting) is particularly great. It comes down to your level of paranoia it what you want to block and how much effort you want to put into managing each lost.

Personally, I have 4 or 5 Samsung sites blocked for my tv and I'm happy with that as it stops the advertising.