What's new

Trouble with wirelss on mixed wired and wireless network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

smelchionda

New Around Here
At my home I've set up a mixed wired and wireless network which has worked well for almost a year. My ISP is Comcast and we are using them for Internet, Cable and Phone. Out of the Comcast Medem I go to a Leviton 10-100 Internet Access Point in a Leviton Structured Media Center. I then have a Belkin F6D4230-4 v2 (01) Enhanced Wireless Router hardwired to the Leviton 10-100. So basically I have the Leviton 10-100 delivering wired network and internet access and I have the Belkin delivering the wireless access. I bought this Belkin Wireless Router becuse it has a feature that allows you to turn it into a dedicated wireless access point, there by turning off its DNS Server capabilities. This all worked really well for almost a year. We also just got iphones so it was really nice to be able to surf the internet on our iphones via the wifi connection, while simultaneously streaming Netflicks to our Tivo and what not. Until about 2 days ago when the WiFi got inconsistent and its bandwidth dropped substantially. The signal strength indicators on the iphones show little to no WiFi bars and they lose the Wifi connection with in a few seconds of connecting... also, the laptops even though they can get a connection the signal strength is only 50% and the speed is really slow. Sending and recieving email takes forever.

In an atttempt to fix this problem I've restarted the Leviton and Belkin Routers... I've also brought the Belkin back to factory spec and then reconfigured it but the problem persists. Anyone have any ideas what might be going on?

I doubt that this is related but I also just set up an HP EX 495 Smart Media Server. I've installed pyTivo and uTorrent on it. I cant get uTorrent to work, but thats for another post. The pyTivo seems to work well though. I've disabled the uTorrent service until I solve this WiFi problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Solved

Solved

I'm feeling pretty dumb right now. All I had to do to fix the problem was change the wireless channel. I got that idea from reading some of the other posts. I guess someone in the neighborhood installed a wireless device in the last few days that one a similar channel and is causing interference.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!