What's new

Troubleshooting dropped connections on AC3100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Owa Tagu Siam

New Around Here
I'm a noob on this forum and thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide. I've been experiencing increased frequency in dropped wireless connections on my home AC3100. I've explored the various Admin tools and consulted the Asus documentation and I'm still struggling with how to use and interpret the Traffic Analyzer/Monitor, Bandwidth Monitor, etc., to determine if the issues are upstream, within, or downstream from my router. Any guidance or documentation that anyone feels might be helpful to my cause will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums @Owa Tagu Siam.

Considering that this model is EOL and the last firmware will soon be from two years ago, it may be wiser to consider a newer model rather than troubleshoot the issues it now has.

to determine if the issues are upstream, within, or downstream

Look for clues in System Log page instead. Traffic Analyzer/Monitor, Bandwidth Monitor are unrelated to troubleshooting your issue. Dropped wireless connections leave messages in logs and sometimes with a reason why the connection was dropped. Perhaps your router is hunting for bandwidth on Auto settings and changing channel width and channel frequency more often than your clients tolerate.

Last edited:
Look for clues in System Log page instead. Traffic Analyzer/Monitor, Bandwidth Monitor are unrelated to troubleshooting your issue. Dropped wireless connections leave messages in logs and sometimes with a reason why the connection was dropped. Perhaps your router is hunting for bandwidth on Auto settings and changing channel width and channel frequency more often than your clients tolerate.
Hey @Tech9, I really appreciate the guidance. I've taken a spin through the logs and it was a challenge to find anything remotely resembling plain language indicating dropped connections. If you know of any key words I can search for, please let me know.

Again... thanks!

Let's try something else.

Set in Wireless, General:

2.4GHz, 20MHz, Ch.6
5GHz, 80MHz, Ch.36

Watch in logs wlceventd messages after the change, your devices will start re-connecting.

See how your devices behave after. Give it some time. Watch the logs for similar messages.