What's new

Trying to install Merlin 380.64_4 on Asus RT-AC68W

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ejh

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,

I just got a new Asus RT-AC68W last week.
The current firmware running is the Asus stock, version 3.0.0.4.380_7370.
I want to install the latest Merlin version, 380.65_4.

Following the instructions here: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Installation
As my first step, I tried to upload Merlin 378.56_2 as described.
I tried this through the Web UI under: Advanced > Firmware Upgrade.
I got the message about third-party firmware certifications:
"To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified our certification rule to ensure better firmware quality. This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware. Please check our official websites for the certified firmware."

I read a whole bunch of posts in the forum with steps to follow and versions to install, but I'm not sure which is up-to-date. I saw this post (https://goo.gl/VzHAcn) where RMerlin writes: "Starting with 380.61, you can once again directly flash on top of Asus's newer releases." So now I am confused.

It's my first time dealing with this stuff and don't want to mess anything up or get stuck.

Can someone please guide me through what I need to to?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
380.64_4 dont exist and you dont need and cant flash with
378.56_2( its a firmware before the 380_XXXX series).
Remove usb devices, reboot, flash with 380.65_4.Test it and factory reset if you see the router acting strange after

Last edited:
380.64_4 dont exist and you dont need and cant flash with
378.56_2( its a firmware before the 380_XXXX series).
Remove usb devices, reboot, flash with 380.65_4.Test it and factory reset if you see the router acting strange after

Yes sorry, I meant 380.65_4. I edited my original post.

So you mean directly upload the latest Merlin version?

And this intermediate step here:
Since I already have an Asus version after 378.xxx, I can skip this?

You dont need to flash with 378.55 if you are already on a firmware 380_XXXX, just flash normally.
If you are on something lower than 378.50, yes you need to flash with 378.55 before for the partition size and upgrade the CFE bootloader