What's new

Trying to understand various link aggregation options on my TS459 Pro+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dwkoehler

New Around Here
Guyz,

Now this is puzzling the hell outta me. The TS459Pro+ is a swell NAS product but I'll be darned if I can only use one of the network link aggregation modes, namely Balanced-RR. Any of the other modes just will not allow the NAS to come out with a functional IP. I've doubled checked my Cisco SG300-20 switch documentation and it claims compatibility with anything 802.3ad. I've configured two switch ports into a static LAG and also configured the QNAP to use both those ports. Both QNAP ports are set to use 9K jumbo frames.

My prime reason for doing this is curiosity, but if I can squeeze an extra MB or two speed outta this sweetheart gadget, I wouldn't mind that either.

---dave

You need to configure the switch ports as dynamic, not static for LACP (802.3ad). I am not sure what specific configuration settings are required though as I am unfamiliar with your Cisco switch.

Thanks much for your reply.

I got the impression from reading the Cisco switch documentation that a dynamic LAG could only be created if one were aggregating 8 or more switch ports together. I've gone over those docs numerous times but apparently I've missed something.

Do you have any tips as to why the OTHER trunking modes such as Balance-TLB or Balance-ALB will not work? After changing to one of these two settings and permitting the system to reboot, DHCP functionality is ignored and my IP address is reset back to the factory spec of 169.254.100.100. Maybe these modes will not work with DHCP??

tanx agin!!

---dave k

I did review the Cisco SG300 documentation again and confirmed that you must have LACP enabled to have a dynamic LAG necessary for 802.3ad. However, the point that you neeed 8 or more ports as well remains.

I found the LAG management interface to enable LACP on the defined LAG. Apparently something is still wrong or the interface is bugged as it would not enable. I tried numerous browsers just to make sure it wasn't one of them; still no go. Have to contact Cisco on this.

---dave

dwkoehler,

I believe that the other "trunking" modes available on the QNAP do not require a "smart" switch in order to work - and if you have a smart switch no configuration is required. Have you tried any of these modes with no LACP configuration of your Cisco switch?

I have my QNAP TS-509 set up with a fixed IP as it is a server, and I need to be sure its IP does not change e.g. to match the Port Forwarding rules on my router. So I am afraid I can't really shed any light on your DHCP problem. However, the QNAP Help seems to suggest that not all modes might work correctly - "Please note that incompatible mode settings may cause the network interface to hang or affect overall network performance."

I suspect that the 8 ports reference in the Cisco documentation is a maximum number that can be bonded together to form a trunk, and not a specific requirement.

The other trunking modes ( Balanced-alb, Balanced-tlb, Balanced-XOR ) do not require a smart switch such as the Cisco SG300 that I have. That it why I am mystified as to why they will not function. The only thing viable that I can see preventing their functionality is the DHCP. I will re-configure my NAS to a static address and report back if that makes a difference.

For whatever buggy reason, I've not been able to configure LACP on anything. It appears that the switch firmware code for the LACP Management functions are not working at 100%. Every test I have done to date has therefore been without LACP enabled.

---dave

Well, the DHCP factor has been tested for and has been found to be of no matter. Apparently, as Mr. Fixit pointed out, despite what the firmware interface suggests as to these modes being available for use, they are not, at least in the case of my TS459, usable. The only trunking that I can see works is the Balance-RR.

I still have to check with Cisco on the matter of why LACP mode can not be set on a properly configured LAG on this SG300 switch.

---dave

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!