What's new

Two "joined" networks: security issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

max789

Occasional Visitor
Hi

I've set up two wireless routers as follows:

1. Network A using a 802.11n wireless router ("Router N"), connected to the DSL modem; WPA2-Personal AES secured.

2. Network B using a 802.11g wireless router ("Router G"), with its WAN port connected to one of the LAN ports on Router N, and set to obtain an IP address (WAN) automatically from Router N's DHCP server; WPA-Personal AES secured.

Being a security noob, I'd appreciate fellow forum members' input on the following proposed action:
Use a short (say 10 characters) password for Network B, which is for friends' smartphones and tablets during their short visits, lasting up to a week.

From a security perspective, is the proposed action likely to pose a real security risk for Network A, the principal home network?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Thanks, Tim. Most helpful article.

Presumably, from a security standpoint, a three-router setup is much better than using the guest network feature on routers like the Netgear WNDR3700 and Asus RT-N16, since the latter gets an IP from the same subnet as the principal, non-guest network, as explained in this thread:
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=65648

A three-router setup does add a little latency to the principal network, but hopefully this would be de minimis for my applications.

Thanks again.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!