What's new

Two private networks, one working fine, one keeps deauthorizing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pgiering

New Around Here
Two private networks, one working fine, one keeps deauthorizing

My Setup is:
Modem: Motorola MB8600
Primary Router: ASUS RT-AC66U; wired connections to 1) Biz Network; 2) Home Network; 3) Desktop PC (separate from Biz or Home networks); and wireless to a network printer shared by all.
Biz Network: Synology AC2600 with an external HDD; connects wireless to a single laptop.
Home Network: ASUS AX3000 plus an AiMesh node (ASUS AC1900P). There are numerous connections in this network, such as half dozen mobile phones, 4 streaming TV's, 4-5 laptops (basically, anything that comes in the house), but generally not more than 7-8 items at a time.

The independent Desktop PC and the Biz Network are all functioning well with no issues of any kind noted.

The Home Network keeps giving us trouble in that users think it is not working at all for several seconds after trying to use a device (such as perform a google search) and then all of the sudden it starts and completes very fast (e.g. - the web page will load, very quickly, after appearing to have frozen, or been thwarted by a dropped connection). I thought it might be QoS related, so I disabled that, but we are still having trouble - I have read that some have occasional disconnect issues after updating firmware, mine says it is the latest version ( 3.0.0.4.384_10177 ), but ours is almost constant.

The error log I'm seeing is:
Jan 12 15:15:12 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(464): eth5: Deauth_ind 08:66:98:12:DD:C2, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)
...line, after line, after line of this same message.

Can someone help me understand what this message means, and/or help me identify and resolve the issue? Does it seem correct that this "Deauth" is the culprit, or is there something else you think I should be looking into?

Thanks in advance!
Paul

I can't say for certain it's the firmware but I was experiencing a deauth issue with the latest Asus firmware on the RT-AC68U (3 node mesh), both Asus and Merlin_386_Beta. It could be my hardware perhaps holding on to some redundant settings, but I did do hard resets on all the nodes and still experienced it on the current firmware.

To the point; I was having constant deauth/auth spam in my log as you mention as well, and I noted that my guest network 1 slots for both 2.4 and 5GHz were the problem. I run my IoT devices along with my daughters school devices and some Chinese plugs on separate guest networks, so 4 total enabled. The problem only seems to happen when I enable guest 1 on each band. Unfortunate as that seems to be the one with mesh node propagation, but I could not get it to remain stable even with a singular client attached. It was causing disconnects across my other clients on my non-guest networks also. Once I disabled guest 1 on both bands then moved the network over to guest 2 my logs went silent and I have had no drops since doing so.

Something to try perhaps. Only other thing that worked for me was dropping back a version on the firmware but that lost all the mesh tab info which I liked having. Hope it helps.