What's new

Ping a private ip.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Drivereye

New Around Here
Hi, learning lots from here but I have a problem I’m too stubborn to let go of.
I have an Rt-ac5300 set up on an isp with private ip at my cabin. I tried to hook it up to uptime robot so that I could use my router as a tool to map power outages. Great idea, so I thought. I learned that I need a public ip address, ddns won’t work. The isp provider wants $5/ month for a static public ip. I feel I have tried everything. Any work arounds? I don’t keep a computer at the cabin.
Tom

I have an Rt-ac5300 set up on an isp with private ip at my cabin.
Please expand on what exactly you mean by this. You're talking about the WAN IP address of the RT-AC5300, right?

Is this address a CGNAT address (100.64.x.x to 100.127.x.x) or a private IP address, e.g. 192.168.x.x? If it's the latter then your RT-AC5300 is behind another router. Is other router also located at your cabin?

The isp ip is 10.10… There is no router from them in the house. It’s a dish pointing to a tower. My router is giving me 192…
The ASUS router is telling me its a private ip.

Thank you
Tom

The isp ip is 10.10… There is no router from them in the house. It’s a dish pointing to a tower. My router is giving me 192…
The ASUS router is telling me its a private ip.

Thank you
Tom
10.10.x.x is indeed a private IP address. So you're out of luck trying to remotely monitor its uptime unless you pay for the public IP address.

The only workaround I can think of would be if you installed Merlin's custom firmware which allows you to run user scripts. You could then create something on the router that logged the downtime, and maybe email you an alert when the connection was re-established.