What's new

Ubiquiti Announces $89 AC1200 Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No, it's not. Did you even look?
UAP-AC-LITE $89, UAP-AC-LR $109, UAP-AC-PRO $149
Very competitive.

No, it's not. Did you even look?
UAP-AC-LITE $89, UAP-AC-LR $109, UAP-AC-PRO $149
Very competitive.
It is but its still £200+ in the UK for the ones that support AC. It would be attractive if you were in the US but the cheapness hasnt yet spread. Everything in the UK is either the $ replaced with £ and/or hiked in price.

Thanks for posting this. That looks really interesting! I wonder how well they work. Those prices pretty much blow Xclaim off the planet lol.
+1 on posting.....I'm thinking of moving to a pfsense box + access points and these look perfect!

@System Error Message : Is it correct to assume that the price increase in the UK is due to Tariffs / taxation?
No. Except for canada no country imposes an export tax. When you import something in the UK to sell theres the 20% VAT + 7% Import Duty. That means the item should be about %30 more which should be slightly less than replacing the $ with £ on the price.

If you look at the price of it on amazon UK (for the AC ones) you will be shocked.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...824-ubiquiti-announces-89-ac1200-access-point

I'm particularly interested in the $149 UAC-AP PRO. While it doesn't do everything I'd like, at that price, it's a very acceptable compromise. Given six months for it to have mature firmware, and if it reviews well, I could see myself buying two and dropping my ASUS RT-AC87R, as I already have PoE switches and no longer use the ASUS for routing.

I wish the controller software didn't use Java, and I wish it was embedded rather than having to be installed on a single PC, but once again, given the price, I can see my way to it. Can't wait to see a review.

I have both the UAP-AC-LR and the UAP-AC-Lite, both work great !
Really good 5Ghz range.

I got my demo units shipped to our office last week, a LITE and an LR model. (they shipped out free demo units to some BETA program members) (as I'm guessing user JoeJoe is also in since he has those same 2 units)
The new 4.x controller software is substantially more capable...and is needed for these. It can control most Ubiquiti devices on your network..the router, switches, phones, APs, etc.

I replaced our Ubiquiti PICO 2 AP at our office with the Lite model. The PICO was a record holder for output and distance....that thing through a signal an incredible distance with its 1000mW transmit power. The new AC Lite model is almost as good in range, but notably faster. I brought the LR model home...in my 3 story house, AP is down in the basement where my network cabinet is. I'd not had luck with an AP being better than my Cisco e3000 dual radio on Tomato firmware...this is the first unit to beat it for performance in my house.

A great lineup to replace the current Unifi fleet. Incredible "bang for the buck"...as we're finding Ubiquiti is very strong at doing.

And they're about to release (if they didn't yet)..an app for your smart phones....so you can set them up.

Very nice, but I wish they had ZHO on this line. Sadly lacking.

Still, for the form factor, general features and price, very, very attractive.

Very nice, but I wish they had ZHO on this line. Sadly lacking.

First release doesn't have it yet...but it's on the "real soon" roadmap. I'm sure a flurry of controller updates will be released before end of year and it'll be there.

And even in most cases, especially residential...in other brands of wireless hardware it doesn't work all that well...so much of it depends on having a business grade wireless chipset in laptops that actually works well with it.

I'd personally wait until it is if it was a feature I was interested in. Ubiquity isn't notorious for never adding promised features, but there has been an occasion where a feature still hasn't been delivered 1+ year after release.

Unless I've missed something, so long as it works with Wifi, it works with Ubiquiti's ZHO implementation, there is absolutely no client involvement in the hand-off at all. Some other manufacturer's that isn't necessarily the case.

And they're about to release (if they didn't yet)..an app for your smart phones....so you can set them up.
Thanks for the summary Stonecat. The app is just for setup and doesn't replace the software controller, correct?

Thanks for the summary Stonecat. The app is just for setup and doesn't replace the software controller, correct?

Not much for details except this line on their announcement..."Rapidly deploy the UniFi AC APs using your iOS or Android-based mobile app – no controller needed. "

Gives me the impression you no longer need the controller. To be honest...in the past, you only needed the controller "once"..to set them up, as they are then provisioned and can run forever like that without the controller. However...in the real world, we use the controller to monitor, adjust, tweak, upgrade firmware, adopt/provision new APs or replacement APs, etc.

It would be cool if the smart phone app could replace the controller.
Although honestly we wouldn't use it much, as we program APs for our clients to point to our cloud controller....which is multi-tenant so we can manage all of our clients sites from it.

Unless I've missed something, so long as it works with Wifi, it works with Ubiquiti's ZHO implementation, there is absolutely no client involvement in the hand-off at all. Some other manufacturer's that isn't necessarily the case.

One would think so "by the books"...but in the real world....experiencing it firsthand has proven otherwise. I've just noticed that corporate fleets of laptops (with good stable Intel chipsets) behave fine...and I'm talking about experience with HP ProCurve enterprise managed AP networks, and Cisco..and the newer Merakis. And the residential grade laptops...with realsuk and atheros wireless chipsets...I end up throwing across the room in frustration, eventually bouncing into the trash can...where they belong.

I have the beta Android app, it allows you to configure a new UAP-AC-LR/Lite/Pro without using a controller.

The UAP-AC-XXXXX needs to have a minimum firmware version already installed to be compatible with the app. They haven't said if the app will work with other UAPs.

Zero hand off is rarely needed and on their forums there are questions daily from users that don't have a basic understanding of channels available to use. If they enabled zero hand off, they could never end up with a working AP system. They believe that zero hand off can solve everything. Users don't understand how putting the UAPs to low power can help and they refuse to listen to advice from others.

It is but its still £200+ in the UK for the ones that support AC. It would be attractive if you were in the US but the cheapness hasnt yet spread. Everything in the UK is either the $ replaced with £ and/or hiked in price.

Since the US prices are listed WITHOUT any sales tax listed, so you can add up to 10% to those prices.

The UK prices INCLUDE 20% VAT (end Sales tax).

And looking here: http://linitx.com/category/ubiquiti-uap-ac/1091

http://linitx.com/product/ubiquiti-unifi-uap-ac-lr-867-mbps-aphotspot/14523

The UAP-AC-LR is £99.41 including taxes. This is the end user cost, trade users pay less, and trade users pass on the VAT.

Last edited:
No. Except for canada no country imposes an export tax. When you import something in the UK to sell theres the 20% VAT + 7% Import Duty. That means the item should be about %30 more which should be slightly less than replacing the $ with £ on the price.

If you look at the price of it on amazon UK (for the AC ones) you will be shocked.
Like JoeJoe said, these are under 100 pounds in the UK. Your looking at the previous V AC AP on Amazon. These new AP's are more competitively priced.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!