What's new

uiDivStats uiDivStats - WebUI for Diversion statistics

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Jack Yaz could you not start taildns when logging is disabled?
I modified my files thus:
/jffs/scripts/uiDivStats, line 1288:
Code:
    dnsmasq)
       if grep 'log-facility' /etc/dnsmasq.conf; then
           Print_Output "true" "dnsmasq has restarted, restarting taildns" "$PASS"
           /opt/etc/init.d/S90taildns stop >/dev/null 2>&1
           sleep 5
           /opt/etc/init.d/S90taildns start >/dev/null 2>&1
       else
           /opt/etc/init.d/S90taildns stop >/dev/null 2>&1
           Print_Output "true" "dnsmasq has restarted, Dnsmasq logging is disabled, stopped taildns" "$PASS"
       fi
       exit 0
   ;;
And /opt/bin/taildns:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#shellcheck disable=SC2039
trap '' SIGHUP

if [ ! -f /opt/bin/pkill ]; then
    opkg update
    opkg install procps-ng-pkill
fi

if grep 'log-facility' /etc/dnsmasq.conf; then
    /jffs/addons/uiDivStats.d/taildns.d/taildnstotal &

while true; do
        sleep 5
        if [ "$(pidof taildnstotal | wc -w)" -lt 2 ]; then
            logger -t "uiDivStats" "taildns dead, restarting..."
            killall -q taildnstotal
            /opt/bin/pkill -f "tail -F /opt/var/log/dnsmasq.log /opt/var/log/dnsmasq.log3"
            sleep 5
            /jffs/addons/uiDivStats.d/taildns.d/taildnstotal &
            logger -t "uiDivStats" "taildns restarted"
        fi
    done
else
    logger -t "uiDivStats" "taildns not started, Dnsmasq logging is disabled"
fi

Edit: You may have to add more code elsewhere, I just changed the obvious files to me ;)
I've opted to add the below to S90taildns - this way it covers all calls including those if the user tries to manually manipulate taildns
Code:
if ! grep -q 'log-facility' /etc/dnsmasq.conf; then
    logger -st "uiDivStats" "taildns not started: dnsmasq logging is disabled"
    exit 1
fi

Last edited:
I suppose I also need to test for whether the alternate instance of dnsmasq is enabled, and include the blocklist_fs if it is enabled...

OR just leave out "Domains currently on blocklist" since its a known quantity if you are using Diversion!!

verif
Code already added on develop branch. I'm quietly confident it will work (famous last words) now.

verified working fine Jack

OK so I think I'm ready for the 2.1.0 release now. Have I missed anything I promised I'd do? I've lost track.
Go ahead, I'm waiting patiently.
When the full Diversion WebUI comes out eventually, it'll have some additional variables of interest for you in custom_settings.txt or the Diversion config file to include in the stats.
More on that when I'm ready to release.

v2.1.0 is now available
Changelog:
Code:
NEW: Hostnames are shown along with the IP Address in the client dropdown. These are determined by using dig for reverse DNS lookups
NEW: Add option to log only A/AAAA DNS queries instead of all types (useful if you have noisy clients firing PTR queries to resolve IPs)
CHANGED: "Last 24 hours" now explicitly collects data for all 15 minute periods. The previous "Group By" method used by 2.0.0 would exclude any points where no queried/blocked domains were found in a 15 minute period, which would leave gaps in data plots.
CHANGED: Lengthy domain names on the Y-Axis are now split to multiple lines
FIXED: Only start taildns if dnsmasq logging is enabled

If you run into any problems, or have any questions, please let me know.

v2.1.0 is now available
Changelog:
Code:
NEW: Hostnames are shown along with the IP Address in the client dropdown. These are determined by using dig for reverse DNS lookups
NEW: Add option to log only A/AAAA DNS queries instead of all types (useful if you have noisy clients firing PTR queries to resolve IPs)
CHANGED: "Last 24 hours" now explicitly collects data for all 15 minute periods. The previous "Group By" method used by 2.0.0 would exclude any points where no queried/blocked domains were found in a 15 minute period, which would leave gaps in data plots.

Looking good. Thanks.
Just a minor inconsistency that is caused by not checking the log file status in uiDivStats as I proposed:
Code:
uiDivStats: dnsmasq has restarted, restarting taildns
(...)
uiDivStats: taildns not started: dnsmasq logging is disabled

Did this move somewhere? I updated via AMTM and then the "extras" tab in my webUI only showed the help tab. So I rebooted the router and now the entire tab is missing. Only update via AMTM for me was the uiDivStas so nothing else changed. I feel like I missed something. AMTM still says everything is installed and AOK.

v2.1.0 is now available
Changelog:
Code:

Hi Jack

While installing 2.1.0 I saw the following in amtm:

uiDivStats: Creating database table indexes...
Error: near line 1: index idx_dns_domains already exists
Error: near line 1: index idx_dns_time already exists
Error: near line 1: index idx_dns_clients already exists

uiDivStats: Database ready, starting services...
uiDivStats: Starting first run of stat generation...
uiDivStats: Stats updated successfully

should i be concerned?

I previously had 2.0.0 installed a week ago. I uninstalled it due to the "high cpu usage" issue.

Did this move somewhere? I updated via AMTM and then the "extras" tab in my webUI only showed the help tab. So I rebooted the router and now the entire tab is missing. Only update via AMTM for me was the uiDivStas so nothing else changed. I feel like I missed something. AMTM still says everything is installed and AOK.
It's under LAN now.

So I still have the high CPU usage (alternating cores spiking to 100%, load average throwing numbers like: 5.13, 4.55, 3.83) on v2.1.0

maybe the problem is my USB drive? atop reports "DSK" at busy: 100% and colors it red

I think I need to uninstall this for now and wait until I change my USB drive to something else!

Regarding PTR queries:

I ran this command suggested by Dave earlier:

grep -E " query\[PTR]" /opt/var/log/dnsmasq.log | awk ' { print $NF } ' | sort | uniq -c | sort -rn | head -10

my top culprit is a machine with only 56 PTR queries so I guess I don't have the same issue as JemTheWire?
my router uptime is currently 2.5 days

So I still have the high CPU usage (alternating cores spiking to 100%, load average throwing numbers like: 5.13, 4.55, 3.83) on v2.1.0

maybe the problem is my USB drive? atop reports "DSK" at busy: 100% and colors it red

I think I need to uninstall this for now and wait until I change my USB drive to something else!
you could try toggling to A/AAAA only mode to see if this makes a difference

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!