What's new

uiScribe uiScribe - Custom System Log page for "scribed" logs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I seem to have a problem with Scribe and/or UIScribe. When I go to System Log, and looking at wlceventd.log (click to show/hide) tab, I have a message that says:
Log file will display here. If you are seeing this message, it means the log file cannot be loaded.
Please check your USB to check the /opt/var/log directory exists.

Logging into the router, I see that that directory exists, so I must have some other problem.

Going to amtm, for UIScribe, I get this message:
[2021-03-04T13:52:38.328928] WARNING: Configuration file format is too old, syslog-ng is running in compatibility mode. Please update it to use the syslog-ng 3.29 format at your time of convenience. To upgrade the configuration, please review the warnings about incompatible changes printed by syslog-ng, and once completed change the @version header at the top of the configuration file; config-version='3.27'

But I do not know where the syslog-ng file is located. So I update UIScribe hoping that would take care of the problem. Nope. Then I go to update Scribe. It needed to be updated, but after that was done, it still displayed that message. So it seems I have to manually update that file. Where is it? Could one menu item be created that allows the ng file to be edited like happens in other scripts accessable from amtm?

I seem to have a problem with Scribe and/or UIScribe. When I go to System Log, and looking at wlceventd.log (click to show/hide) tab, I have a message that says:
Log file will display here. If you are seeing this message, it means the log file cannot be loaded.

Logging into the router, I see that that directory exists, so I must have some other problem.

[2021-03-04T13:52:38.328928] WARNING: Configuration file format is too old, syslog-ng is running in compatibility mode. Please update it to use the syslog-ng 3.29 format at your time of convenience. To upgrade the configuration, please review the warnings about incompatible changes printed by syslog-ng, and once completed change the @version header at the top of the configuration file; config-version='3.27'

But I do not know where the syslog-ng file is located. So I update UIScribe hoping that would take care of the problem. Nope. Then I go to update Scribe. It needed to be updated, but after that was done, it still displayed that message. So it seems I have to manually update that file. Where is it?
it should be in /opt/etc/

it should be in /opt/etc/
OK, found it. My version in that file is: @version: 3.27, I did not change it.
But I still get the error msg, and the wlceventd.log (click to show/hide) tab still has that message.

OK, found it. My version in that file is: @version: 3.27, I did not change it.
But I still get the error msg, and the wlceventd.log (click to show/hide) tab still has that message.
Two separate things.

The first is to change that line in syslog-ng.conf to 3.29. Feel free. I'm a little surprised that updating scribe didn't do that on its own, doing more changes in the process. That will make the warning go away.

The second is the message for wlceventd.log. This is because the log is too big (in which case eventually it will show), or because the file doesn't exist. So look to see if that log file exists in /opt/var/log and see how big it is.

Thanks, I changed it to 3.29. And attached it a capture of the dir for those log files. They do not seem too large. Maybe I just need to give it time now that the config file is right.

Attachments

• WL.PNG
    WL.PNG
    9.8 KB · Views: 177

But I do not know where the syslog-ng file is located. So I update UIScribe hoping that would take care of the problem. Nope. Then I go to update Scribe. It needed to be updated, but after that was done, it still displayed that message. So it seems I have to manually update that file. Where is it? Could one menu item be created that allows the ng file to be edited like happens in other scripts accessable from amtm?
Yeah, since scribe doesn't reside in memory, it can't automatically update the log file when syslog-ng updates. In the future "scribe status" from the command line, or the 's' option in scribe will force a version check between the installed syslog-ng and the syslog-ng.conf file.

I've never seen any problems with syslog-ng running in "compatibility mode". I'm pretty sure that just means that syslog-ng will interpret the conf file according to the rules for the version in the conf file, which seems logical to me. There is actually a small danger posed by the way scribe does it now, which is to just update the conf file - if one of the functions in the conf file significantly changes function (amazingly enough, it has happened), syslog-ng may do something weird or not intended.

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing lock ups on the system log page with UI Scribe? I am running merlin 386.1_2 on an RT-AC86U (Primary) and RT-AC88U (AI Mesh Node) configuration. I have Diversion, Skynet, Dnscrypt, Conmon, Scribe, and UI Scribe all installed via amtm - all are updated to the latest versions. For the last few weeks I have been unable to access the system log page in any browser. (Tried Chrome, IE, and Edge on PC, Safari and Chrome on iPad). When I access the page it just hangs and depending on the browser will give the "Aw snap" page, or just kick me back to the login screen. I figured something was corrupted so last night I reformatted the jffs using the web ui option and reinstalled everything from scratch (including creating a new swap file). Last night once this was done the log screen looked correct, showing all the custom logs and coming up just fine. Tonight it is back to locking up again when I attempt to access the screen. If I remove UI scribe I can access the regular ASUS log page with no problems (though the log data is missing everything scribe has split out from the main log file).

If anyone else has seen this and has an idea of things I might try, would really appreciate your insights. My next step was going to be to reset the entire router and start from scratch, but that seems like overkill as UI Scribe appears to be the only thing not working as expected.

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing lock ups on the system log page with UI Scribe? I am running merlin 386.1_2 on an RT-AC86U (Primary) and RT-AC88U (AI Mesh Node) configuration. I have Diversion, Skynet, Dnscrypt, Conmon, Scribe, and UI Scribe all installed via amtm - all are updated to the latest versions. For the last few weeks I have been unable to access the system log page in any browser. (Tried Chrome, IE, and Edge on PC, Safari and Chrome on iPad). When I access the page it just hangs and depending on the browser will give the "Aw snap" page, or just kick me back to the login screen. I figured something was corrupted so last night I reformatted the jffs using the web ui option and reinstalled everything from scratch (including creating a new swap file). Last night once this was done the log screen looked correct, showing all the custom logs and coming up just fine. Tonight it is back to locking up again when I attempt to access the screen. If I remove UI scribe I can access the regular ASUS log page with no problems (though the log data is missing everything scribe has split out from the main log file).

If anyone else has seen this and has an idea of things I might try, would really appreciate your insights. My next step was going to be to reset the entire router and start from scratch, but that seems like overkill as UI Scribe appears to be the only thing not working as expected.
How many log files do you have? If you expanded all sections I can imagine that'd take a while to refresh since the web server on the router doesn't like lots requests

How many log files do you have? If you expanded all sections I can imagine that'd take a while to refresh since the web server on the router doesn't like lots requests
Just 4, performance has never been an issue before, I don’t think it’s too slow - seems like an error since it kicks back to the login screen.

Just 4, performance has never been an issue before, I don’t think it’s too slow - seems like an error since it kicks back to the login screen.
Do you get any error codes under the aw snap message, and does the browser console catch anything?

Do you get any error codes under the aw snap message, and does the browser console catch anything?
Here's a screenshot of the error page and console - it says out of memory, console has nothing.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 193
Here's a screenshot of the error page and console - it says out of memory, console has nothing.
Thought a little more about what you said and tried going into the log file directory in scribe and moving all the individual log files to a new location. Now the screen loads just fine - just has all empty logs :). I'm going to start putting them back one at a time and see when the problem appears. Thinking I may need to run logrotate more often or change some setting to have smaller log files.

Thought a little more about what you said and tried going into the log file directory in scribe and moving all the individual log files to a new location. Now the screen loads just fine - just has all empty logs :). I'm going to start putting them back one at a time and see when the problem appears. Thinking I may need to run logrotate more often or change some setting to have smaller log files.
What size are the files? If the total size is over 10mb that could be the cause

What size are the files? If the total size is over 10mb that could be the cause
It took a few days but I figured out the root, it was very large file sizes (>25MB) due to a process that was logging 5-10 messages a second all day long. I ended up setting the router back to default and starting from scratch - it's been running a couple of days now and things appear to be fine. Thanks for the ideas and suggestions, they were helpful in pinpointing the issue.

v1.4.3 is now available
Changelog:

• NEW: CLI menu shows URL for WebUI page
  • NEW: CLI commands for "about" and "help"
  • IMPROVED: Update function now includes a prompt rather than applying update
  • CHANGED: NTP timeout increased to 10 minutes

@Jack Yaz (starting again in correct topic)

I may have found a bug, but it possibly pre-dates 3.0.1, and possibly even pre-dates me changing from an RT-AC86U to my new RT-AX86U.
On the System Log page (Enhanced by Scribe/UIScribe) ...

The Utilities/ System Info/General Configuration/Logs "Categories" will no longer "collapse" for me.
If I hover over each category "bar" the mouse cursor changes from "arrow" to "the finger" as though something SHOULD happen, but clicking does nothing, they remain expanded.
I'm pretty sure it used to work at some point, but I'm not sure when/which version/which model router - not very bloody helpful is it? :)

Note that the expanding/collapsing of each individual log within the Logs category DOES work OK, so it's just the top level categories

Is it possible to do something so that in addition to the current log, one more previous is shown in the web interface?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!