What's new

uiScribe uiScribe - Custom System Log page for "scribed" logs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Jack Yaz : Scribe needs a tweak to follow the change in 1.4.1, but I'm not sure what it is.

If in running scribe you ask it to restart, along the way it will call "uiScribe startup". This generates an error in uiScribe about a missing parameter.

I see in post mount you start uiScribe with uiScribe startup "$@". (also connmon). What should be changed in scribe to conform?

I came across this while disabling loggly as a destination until I get a better understanding of the Orion fiasco.

@Jack Yaz : Scribe needs a tweak to follow the change in 1.4.1, but I'm not sure what it is.

If in running scribe you ask it to restart, along the way it will call "uiScribe startup". This generates an error in uiScribe about a missing parameter.

I see in post mount you start uiScribe with uiScribe startup "$@". (also connmon). What should be changed in scribe to conform?

I came across this while disabling loggly as a destination until I get a better understanding of the Orion fiasco.
I wasn't aware that scribe called uiScribe's startup. This is hopefully now fixed (though I'm unable to reboot my router at the moment to make sure it still starts correctly on boot)

I wasn't aware that scribe called uiScribe's startup. This is hopefully now fixed (though I'm unable to reboot my router at the moment to make sure it still starts correctly on boot)
I think it is now fixed, and all started correctly on a reboot. I thought this would be a fix on the scribe side, but all good. Also: the message on not finding the log works (although it also shows while a long log is being read, for a few seconds).

A little help would be appreciated. After I was updating my uiSribe to 1.4 I got the same issue as mentioned before (post #236). My log page is broken. I uninstalled and reinstalled uiScribe multiple times as well but no luck.
screenshot-192.168.1.1_8443-2020.12.22-12_12_50.png

I'm using latest Firefox and I found these errors on my browser log:
Code:
Uncaught SyntaxError: expected expression, got ';' Main_LogStatus_Content.asp:75:19
Uncaught ReferenceError: initial is not defined
    onload https://192.168.1.1:8443/Main_LogStatus_Content.asp:1
Main_LogStatus_Content.asp:1:1
The script from “https://192.168.1.1:8443/help_content.js” was loaded even though its MIME type (“text/html”) is not a valid JavaScript MIME type. Main_LogStatus_Content.asp
undefined content-crop.js:250:29

A little help would be appreciated. After I was updating my uiSribe to 1.4 I got the same issue as mentioned before (post #236). My log page is broken. I uninstalled and reinstalled uiScribe multiple times as well but no luck.
View attachment 28714

I'm using latest Firefox and I found these errors on my browser log:
Code:
Uncaught SyntaxError: expected expression, got ';' Main_LogStatus_Content.asp:75:19
Uncaught ReferenceError: initial is not defined
    onload https://192.168.1.1:8443/Main_LogStatus_Content.asp:1
Main_LogStatus_Content.asp:1:1
The script from “https://192.168.1.1:8443/help_content.js” was loaded even though its MIME type (“text/html”) is not a valid JavaScript MIME type. Main_LogStatus_Content.asp
undefined content-crop.js:250:29
can you try Chrome just to rule out a browser issue? also inprivate/incognito mode in case you have an addon breaking things

can you try Chrome just to rule out a browser issue? also inprivate/incognito mode in case you have an addon breaking things

Have no Chrome browser on my system, but I've tried with MS Edge browser (I think it uses chromium engine). I got following errors in console:

Code:
Main_LogStatus_Content.asp:75 Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token ';'
Main_LogStatus_Content.asp:87 Uncaught ReferenceError: initial is not defined
    at onload (Main_LogStatus_Content.asp:87)
onload @ Main_LogStatus_Content.asp:87

FFox in private mode has the same issue. MS Edge browser has not any add-ons.

Last edited:
Have no Chrome browser on my system, but I've tried with MS Edge browser (I think it uses chromium engine). I got following errors in console:

Code:
Main_LogStatus_Content.asp:75 Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token ';'
Main_LogStatus_Content.asp:87 Uncaught ReferenceError: initial is not defined
    at onload (Main_LogStatus_Content.asp:87)
onload @ Main_LogStatus_Content.asp:87
Ok that line is looking for the custom settings variable. Which firmware version and which router model?

Ok that line is looking for the custom settings variable. Which firmware version and which router model?
Thanks for help! ASUS RT-AC56U running ASUSWRT-Merlin 384.6.

ASUS RT-AC56U running ASUSWRT-Merlin 384.6.
Erp. I don't think that version supports the add-on GUI pages, does it? You have to go to John's fork?

Thanks for the information! I'm thinking about to go to John's fork. There was a system check during uiScribe installation and I thought won't be any trouble if it pass. Until I update my firmware is there any way to get the older version of uiScribe (1.3)? I've tried to find on project's Github page, but I had no luck.

Hi during the installation returned this is normal?
what am I doing wrong?

Code:
Admin@RT-AC5300-48D0:/tmp/home/root# /usr/sbin/curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jackyaz/uiScribe/maste
r/uiScribe.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/uiScribe" && chmod 0755 /jffs/scripts/uiScribe && /jffs/scripts/uiScribe install
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 24627  100 24627    0     0  53536      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 56097
uiScribe: Welcome to uiScribe v1.4.1, a script by JackYaz

uiScribe: Checking your router meets the requirements for uiScribe

uiScribe: Scribe not installed!

uiScribe: Requirements for uiScribe not met, please see above for the reason(s)

uiScribe: Scribe not installed!
Use amtm to install scribe first (and entware and a swap file if you haven't already). Uiscribe displays scribe's output in the GUI, so you need scribe installed first.

I tried but through amtm it does not install, I have no way even to choose whether to continue the installation it returns me directly to the initial menu

tried but through amtm it does not install,
Do you have a USB drive plugged in? Have you installed entware first? Custom scripts enabled?

@L&LD has a good post here on setting up the amtm environment.

Last edited:
See the link in my signature below for the amtm Step-by-Step Guide.

Just skip the parts to install amtm. It is included in the firmware, as you know.

Hey Jack, a few "spdMerlin"s snuck into the first post ;)

Usage
WebUI

spdMerlin can be configured via the WebUI, in the Addons section.

Command Line
To launch the spdMerlin menu after installation, use:

Thanks for the information! I'm thinking about to go to John's fork. There was a system check during uiScribe installation and I thought won't be any trouble if it pass. Until I update my firmware is there any way to get the older version of uiScribe (1.3)? I've tried to find on project's Github page, but I had no luck.
try restoring
uiScribe.sh
Main_LogStatus_content.asp
from this URL https://github.com/jackyaz/uiScribe/tree/e94e18be8d6d1600ce3683af24338302daa97309

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!