What's new

Solved Unable to bypass router DNS settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MvW

I followed the instructions by @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow to Enforce Safe Search for various search engines, but I'm failing to bypass these DNS re-routings for two devices, my personal laptop and our smart TV. What I've done so far:

• As per instructions here In LAN Settings > DNSFilter > I've enable DNS Filtering, set 'Global Mode' tot Router and added my TV and my own laptop to the table below with Quad9 for DNS. I've tried others DNS servers too. I applied the settings.
  • I cleared my browser cache and entire web history through Firefoxes settings.
  • I flushed the local DNS-cache with
    Code:
    ipconfig /flushdns
  • I manually restarted dnsmasq
    Code:
    restart service_dnsmasq
    from a terminal window.
  • I've rebooted the router and my laptop but still, Youtube won't show me a 'restricted' video (which is about jailbreaking an ancient iPad).
I'm out of ideas. What else can I do? Any suggestions?

I followed the instructions by @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow to Enforce Safe Search for various search engines, but I'm failing to bypass these DNS re-routings for two devices, my personal laptop and our smart TV. What I've done so far:

• As per instructions here In LAN Settings > DNSFilter > I've enable DNS Filtering, set 'Global Mode' tot Router and added my TV and my own laptop to the table below with Quad9 for DNS. I've tried others DNS servers too. I applied the settings.
  • I cleared my browser cache and entire web history through Firefoxes settings.
  • I flushed the local DNS-cache with
    Code:
    ipconfig /flushdns
  • I manually restarted dnsmasq
    Code:
    restart service_dnsmasq
    from a terminal window.
  • I've rebooted the router and my laptop but still, Youtube won't show me a 'restricted' video (which is about jailbreaking an ancient iPad).
I'm out of ideas. What else can I do? Any suggestions?
i recommend starting the process fresh and Trying the 2nd script instead or create exlcusions on your routers dnsfilter option pointing those devices at different dns servers.

Reactions: MvW
i recommend starting the process fresh and Trying the 2nd script instead

What exactly do you mean by starting fresh?

or create exlcusions on your routers dnsfilter option pointing those devices at different dns servers.

That's exactly what I did, see my previous post.

Another way to do this is in LAN - DHCP Server Enable Manual assignment then Manually assign an IP address for the client and assign a DNS Server.
Yet another way is to assign a LAN Static IP Address at the client and assign DNS Servers. Make sure your router DHCP does not try to give another client the same IP Address.

However, if you are trying to surf to a site that is being blocked for some reason you might want to install OpenVPN on the client and connect to a service well outside of your location. Much safer than futzing with the router DNS.

Another way to do this is in LAN - DHCP Server Enable Manual assignment then Manually assign an IP address for the client and assign a DNS Server.
Yet another way is to assign a LAN Static IP Address at the client and assign DNS Servers. Make sure your router DHCP does not try to give another client the same IP Address.

However, if you are trying to surf to a site that is being blocked for some reason you might want to install OpenVPN on the client and connect to a service well outside of your location. Much safer than futzing with the router DNS.
was just about to suggest that. ;)
@MvW

use manual assignment to assign the DNS server to the device. Then keep DNSFilter rules to enforce the devices pointed at the DNS servers..

Reactions: MvW
It seems like I finally figured it out. Thanks for helping me out.

Best regards,
Marco

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!