What's new

Unable to connect remotely to OpenVPN server on ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chk

New Around Here
I have an OpenVPN router setup on my ZenWifi router (ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8)). I have successfully set up such VPNs in the past, but cannot connect to this one remotely.
When I am on Wifi locally, I can connect successfully to the VPN with a client.
What could be causing the problem of accessing it remotely? Is it a configuration issue?
Thanks!

Never tried it on an ASUS but with Netgear it worked fine so long as ISP traffic was not heavy. If you have a computer that is always on at the router site, I suggest using Tailscale or ZeroTier and accessing your PC using Windows RDP instead. You can then log into your router as if you are on the LAN. IMO this is far more reliable. OpenVPN is always subject to client updates and if not up to date suddenly it stoppped working.

I have an OpenVPN router setup on my ZenWifi router (ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8)). I have successfully set up such VPNs in the past, but cannot connect to this one remotely.
When I am on Wifi locally, I can connect successfully to the VPN with a client.
What could be causing the problem of accessing it remotely? Is it a configuration issue?
Thanks!
Does your XT8 have a public IP address?

You have a DDNS address assigned and you are not behind an ISP provided router? If so it may be that the WAN IP address has changed and the change has not be registered to the DNS service.
On WAN/DDNS enable "WAN IP and hostname verification" This may help. If not you have other configuration issues and you will have to tell us more about your configuration.

You have a DDNS address assigned and you are not behind an ISP provided router? If so it may be that the WAN IP address has changed and the change has not be registered to the DNS service.
On WAN/DDNS enable "WAN IP and hostname verification" This may help. If not you have other configuration issues and you will have to tell us more about your configuration.
I could not find this option in the WAN/DDNS tab. Is it available on the latest update? Thanks!

Check that the DDNS name resolves to the IP address shown at www.whatsmyip.org and that is the same address shown in the router (Network Map > Internet status > WAN IP).

If that's correct verify that the same IP or DDNS name is present on the remote line of the .ovpn file you loaded on your client.

Check that the DDNS name resolves to the IP address shown at www.whatsmyip.org and that is the same address shown in the router (Network Map > Internet status > WAN IP).

If that's correct verify that the same IP or DDNS name is present on the remote line of the .ovpn file you loaded on your client.
Thanks! I verified and it all checks out: correct IP on www.whatsmyip.org, and DDNS name appears also in the file.
I'm also able to access the asus router GUI remotely via the DDNS name, so it looks correct from the outside.
Still no working OpenVPN though :(
Thanks for all the tips to try to problem solve!

OK. The next thing to do is look in the router's System Log and confirm that the VPN server is running (turn the server off and on). Then try to connect (remotely) from the client and again observe the messages in to log, looking for errors.

OK. The next thing to do is look in the router's System Log and confirm that the VPN server is running (turn the server off and on). Then try to connect (remotely) from the client and again observe the messages in to log, looking for errors.
Confirmed from system log the VPN server is running (after turning off and then back on).
Tried to connect remotely: no log entry comes up
Tried to connect locally (on local wifi): logs show connection successfully

I wonder if the issue is with my config file on the client then. I have another ASUS wifi router with VPN at a different location (similar export file) and it does connect though. I did previously try a factory reset and completely recreated the local Wifi and OpenVPN server, but I'm still stuck...

Tried to connect remotely: no log entry comes up
Check the VPN log on the client. Even if there's nothing wrong with your client config it's possible that the internet connection you're using is blocking VPN traffic. If you're using the default VPN port try a different random port number, e.g. 23629.

Check the VPN log on the client. Even if there's nothing wrong with your client config it's possible that the internet connection you're using is blocking VPN traffic. If you're using the default VPN port try a different random port number, e.g. 23629.
Thanks for your help ColinTaylor!

There are no logs created in the OpenVPN app when I try to connect remotely (via cellular). Logs do get created when I connect via the local Wifi. have also tried to connect from a remote Wifi and no luck there either.
I checked the settings of the OpenVPN app and it does allow connections on cellular and Wifi. Nothing looks off...

There are no logs created in the OpenVPN app when I try to connect remotely (via cellular). Logs do get created when I connect via the local Wifi.
That sounds strange. What device/app are you using?

That sounds strange. What device/app are you using?
Figured it out!
It was my VPN client on both my iPhone and Laptop that were the issue. I deleted them both, restarted the devices, and re-installed the VPN config files, and it now works. What gave it away for me was your question about the logs on the client side, which I had not checked previously. Seeing as there were no logs, I re-installed everything, and it's now working.
Thanks so much for your help figuring this out!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!