What's new

Unable to manual upload file for firmware upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Didn't work for me.

I think there is some level of corruption stemming from ... saved/restored ... configuration files ... where I restored a year old configuration file ...
Ahem...

So how much time do you reckon you've "saved" by injecting previous configs as opposed to directing a new firmware to "default" everything and plodding through necessary changes manually afterward?

A serious question.

I upload the firmware to tmp folder and use mtd-write command update successfully, now running 388.4.

Ahem...

So how much time do you reckon you've "saved" by injecting previous configs as opposed to directing a new firmware to "default" everything and plodding through necessary changes manually afterward?

A serious question.
If you want to ask a serious question, don’t quote bits and pieces of my comment. Taking things out of context doesn’t resolve anything and is not useful to the conversation.

To answer your question.

The previous configuration file was my a version from the last firmware. A year may have been a bit of an exaggeration. When I updated the firmware to 388.1, I saved a configuration file before the update and after the update. In the event something goes wrong down the road, I have that and at least I don’t have to start from scratch. If something goes wrong, hopefully I can roll back to a compatible version. Backups of Backups. Starting from scratch is not ideal for me.

In this particular case, I did not realize there was an issue until about a month ago when I tried to update to 388.4. So, after the proper troubleshooting. A factory reset was the last resort. The router was reset, however it was still unable to be updated. When I restored the configuration I made 10 minutes prior, wifi and several other settings did not work. Couldn’t even log in to the admin panel. So, another reset was required and going back to my previous save was my next option. Everything worked, minus the firmware update. Right back to where I started 30 minutes prior. I have six nodes on my network and over 100 IOT devices binded to specific spots within my house. Most of the devices have unique names and rules set. Along with settings for some nodes. That took a lot of time and effort to set up.

So the time that I saved by using my previous configuration was hours to days, compared to the 20 minutes it took for another factory reset and a slightly older configuration restore. I probably spent more time posting on these forums in the past few days than I spent playing with this firmware update.

I upload the firmware to tmp folder and use mtd-write command update successfully, now running 388.4.

I scrolled through this post again and tried googling it quick. I didn’t see anything about that process and it is not something I am familar with. Do you have a link / guide by chance that explains it?

Thanks

When I saved/restored the configuration files after my first factory reset, that caused the entire system to stop working.
The third being where I restored a year old configuration file to get the wifi working again.

You should try reset the router then manually config the router.

Your saved configs may be corrupt and are contributing to your issues.

You should try reset the router then manually config the router.

Your saved configs may be corrupt and are contributing to your issues.
I should have clarified, I did try the manual configuration as a baseline when I reset it initially (2nd attempt). I was still unable to update the firmware.

In this case, starting from scratch would not have helped to solve the problem. I was still exactly where I was prior to restoring my configuration / resetting the device.

I would rather restore a working file and have my network as is, just unable to be updated, rather than starting from scratch and still not being up to date.

Since all my nodes can be updated, I am eventually going to swap the main with a node and see if the update can be forced that way. Unless Mr. Kidd above or someone else is able to explain the MTD-Write method. That is the only thing I am not familiar with and google was not overly helpful when I did a quick search this morning.

Since all my nodes can be updated, I am eventually going to swap the main with a node and see if the update can be forced that way. Unless Mr. Kidd above or someone else is able to explain the MTD-Write method. That is the only thing I am not familiar with and google was not overly helpful when I did a quick search this morning.
What model router do you have?

I don't know what @kidd232 did but not only is mtd-write a wholly inappropriate command to use on his RT-AX86U it doesn't even exist in his firmware.

Last edited:
What model router do you have?

I don't know what @kidd232 did but no only is mtd-write a wholly inappropriate command to use on his RT-AX86U it doesn't even exist in his firmware.
AX88U as main with the 5 AX3000 nodes - I have a rather large space to cover.

Good to know and that explains why my research didn’t reveal much. From what I could piece together, it appears to be CLI related… A bit far outside of my networking knowledge.

You could try uploading the firmware in rescue mode.
Just make very sure you have the correct firmware for your model before uploading.
I may not be the best with networking, but I feel like this should be easier to find. At least in a Google search... Probably didn’t search right.

This will be my next step. Not sure when I try it, but I appreciate you sharing it.

I apologize; I type the wrong command. It should be "hnd-write".

I uploaded the 388.4 firmware through WinSCP to the /tmp folder. Then, I SSHed into the router and ran "hnd-write filename". After it completed, I manually rebooted once, and after a few minutes, it updated to 388.4.

Please note that when updating the firmware using "hnd-write," it doesn't create an additional partition like updating from the web interface. Therefore, there is a risk associated with using this command. However, in case of failure, I can update it again using rescue mode.

I looked on a GT-AX6000 running 388.4 (or thereabouts) Merlin, and hnd-write is a symlink to rc. I'm thinking it's likely that the specific call to rc as hnd-write is part of a hierarchy of processes, and without knowing that hierarchy and following it explicitly, well, it /could/ be a risky maneuver to call it willy-nilly.

Hi Everyone, I have tried to find if anyone got the same issue but no avail hence need to post here for help.

Model: Asus RT-AX86U
Current FW: 388.2_2 (Merlin)

no window pop up for file selection when clicking on the "Upload"
I have tried different PC/Mac/Browser as well....
Model: Asus GT-AX6000
Current FW: 3.0.0.6.102_21514 (Asus)

I have the same problem with my new AX6000 router. There is no option for me to browse file for upload or update button available at the GUI side.

I have tried different browsers, factory and router resets several times and same problem without the browse file and upload links buttons. When I disable the CSS to no page style at all the browsers, I can browse for files to upload. However, when I try to upload Merlin firmware, it stops at about 90% and boots me out. The router returns to its default Asus firmware version 3.0.0.6.102_21514.

I remember there is a John application in the old days that enable firmware upgrade via Telnet? However, I have lost the application and I don't know whether it will still work for this new router.

Any help or assistance in this area will be greatly appreciated. Will also be great if you could kindly provide the guide as I have tried to resolve this problem for several days including sending emails to Asus support but no resolution for this problem.

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 54

I have the same problem with my new AX6000 router. There is no option for me to browse file for upload or update button available at the GUI side.

I have tried different browsers, factory and router resets several times and same problem without the browse file and upload links buttons. When I disable the CSS to no page style at all the browsers, I can browse for files to upload. However, when I try to upload Merlin firmware, it stops at about 90% and boots me out. The router returns to its default Asus firmware version 3.0.0.6.102_21514.

I remember there is a John application in the old days that enable firmware upgrade via Telnet? However, I have lost the application and I don't know whether it will still work for this new router.

Any help or assistance in this area will be greatly appreciated. Will also be great if you could kindly provide the guide as I have tried to resolve this problem for several days including sending emails to Asus support but no resolution for this problem.
Have you tried option 3 shown in your screenshot? How about the suggestion in the post immediately before yours?

What happens when you toggle "Auto Firmware Upgrade" to "off"?

Have you tried option 3 shown in your screenshot? How about the suggestion in the post immediately before yours?
I have not tried the firmware restoration method because I am not sur e whether I can upload Merlin firmware using this method and whether I can downgrade the Asus firmware version for this rog AX6000 router. At this moment the router is working normally for the latest version but there is no way to upload firmware manually.

What happens when you toggle "Auto Firmware Upgrade" to "off"?

Once I toggle on and off the browse file and upload file links appear but firefox pop up an error (other browsers no error but revert back to original status where the link disappears). Once you click the "resend" or "cancel" or "close" the firefox pop up, the browse file and upload buttons disappear again.

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 52

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!