What's new

Unable to manual upload file for firmware upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have gotten it fixed. Thanks to the fellow here for advise on going with restore option. Once restore back to Asus fw. All settings till intact and you can just upload the latest Merlin fw. Thanks so much again all.

This is the method I used.
Lucky for you. I tried several times and even with different firmwares and lan ports, it just failed upon upload approx 30 to 50%. It just defaults to the original firmware. Somehow, getting to the rescue mode also quite an effort too...lol. I give up and probably try again some other time. Hopefully a new firmware from Asus resolves this bug problem of invisible link / buttons.

Once I toggle on and off the browse file and upload file links appear but firefox pop up an error (other browsers no error but revert back to original status where the link disappears). Once you click the "resend" or "cancel" or "close" the firefox pop up, the browse file and upload buttons disappear again.
Looks like you have something preventing the pop ups maybe browser extension, anti-virus, look for something causing it. Review the method you use to initialize/restore to factory settings of your router, flush your browser's cache then start over.

Looks like you have something preventing the pop ups maybe browser extension, anti-virus, look for something causing it. Review the method you use to initialize/restore to factory settings of your router, flush your browser's cache then start over.
I have tried removing the extension, disabling the anti virus and also clearing the cache but no use.

The speed test results can be a drastic differences at certain hours with version GT-AX6000_3.0.0.6_102_21514. Sometimes the wireless 5GHZ signal can reach as high as 700 mbps download speed. However on the second half of the day (after 2pm), it just hover around 95 mbps (very very low since I am subscribed to the 1G plan). The speed will go up again after 11pm. The direct lan speed connection to the modem is almost consistent at 950 mbps.

I tried downgrading the firmware by disabling the CSS style so that the browse and upload buttons are visible but the upload will always failed at 90%. Anyone has any idea why it will not upgrade successfully.

With the firmware restoration tool, I can only manage to upload to about 50% and it will fail and boot out to the default screen.

ASUS support has not come back to me with any resolution yet and meantime I am still trying to see if there is any tweaking to the wireless settings that will improve the situation. Attached is my current settings and will appreciate if any one with good connection can post their wireless or relevant settings here.

Attachments

• 2.4GHz.jpg
    2.4GHz.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 5GHz.jpg
    5GHz.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 37
  • SpeedTest.jpg
    SpeedTest.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 43
If that speedtest log is the router's internally, then it's obviously ISP throttling / congestion, which, by the times you stated was my guess before even getting to the attachments...

If that speedtest log is the router's internally, then it's obviously ISP throttling / congestion, which, by the times you stated was my guess before even getting to the attachments...
I guess you are right in the speed issue. I managed to contact the ISP technical support and they claimed it was the lan cable from ONT to Router and ask me to replace and monitor. So far so good after replacement and I can easily hit above 100 Mbps.

The speed test results can be a drastic differences at certain hours with version GT-AX6000_3.0.0.6_102_21514. Sometimes the wireless 5GHZ signal can reach as high as 700 mbps download speed. However on the second half of the day (after 2pm), it just hover around 95 mbps (very very low since I am subscribed to the 1G plan). The speed will go up again after 11pm. The direct lan speed connection to the modem is almost consistent at 950 mbps.

I tried downgrading the firmware by disabling the CSS style so that the browse and upload buttons are visible but the upload will always failed at 90%. Anyone has any idea why it will not upgrade successfully.

With the firmware restoration tool, I can only manage to upload to about 50% and it will fail and boot out to the default screen.

ASUS support has not come back to me with any resolution yet and meantime I am still trying to see if there is any tweaking to the wireless settings that will improve the situation. Attached is my current settings and will appreciate if any one with good connection can post their wireless or relevant settings here.
Will appreciate if anyone has any other suggestions to upgrade to Merlin firmware or downgrade to previous Asus version based on the above scenario. Is it because of the latest Asus version which cannot be upgraded to Merlin firmware or downgrade to a lower version? Thanks in advance.

Lucky for you. I tried several times and even with different firmwares and lan ports, it just failed upon upload approx 30 to 50%. It just defaults to the original firmware. Somehow, getting to the rescue mode also quite an effort too...lol. I give up and probably try again some other time. Hopefully a new firmware from Asus resolves this bug problem of invisible link / buttons.
Rescue mode didn't work on mine either. If you have a second asus router try setting the problem one up as a mesh node.

I finally got it working after swapping the main router with a node and setting up the problem device as a node. Upload worked perfectly. Firmware upgraded and now the button isn't grayed out. Had to do factory resets on both, but the config file was restored and worked perfectly. I set the 88u back up as the main router afterwards.

I apologize; I type the wrong command. It should be "hnd-write".

I uploaded the 388.4 firmware through WinSCP to the /tmp folder. Then, I SSHed into the router and ran "hnd-write filename". After it completed, I manually rebooted once, and after a few minutes, it updated to 388.4.

Please note that when updating the firmware using "hnd-write," it doesn't create an additional partition like updating from the web interface. Therefore, there is a risk associated with using this command. However, in case of failure, I can update it again using rescue mode.
This worked perfectly for me.
I had the same issue, where it just didn't open the file select screen.
I've uploaded the 388.4 file to the temp folder with WinSCP (Make sure to select SCP protocol).
Then SSH to it and ran the command as pointed out here, waited to finish, rebooted the router and when it came back it was on the new version.
Also, the upload link now work on this version.

This worked perfectly for me.
I had the same issue, where it just didn't open the file select screen.
I've uploaded the 388.4 file to the temp folder with WinSCP (Make sure to select SCP protocol).
Then SSH to it and ran the command as pointed out here, waited to finish, rebooted the router and when it came back it was on the new version.
Also, the upload link now work on this version.
I am a noob here with this WinSCP and SSH "hnd-write command" and I will greatly appreciate if you guys can guide me along the way;

1. I have installed WinSCP-6.1.2 and when I tried to upload Merlin firmware ver AX6000_3004_388.4 to the tmp folder, it gives me the below error code.

"Cannot execute SCP to start transfer. Please make sure that SCP is installed on the server and path to it is included in PATH. You may also try SFTP instead of SCP.
Command failed with return code 127." (how to overcome this error?)

2. On the ssh part, can I use the open terminal windows under the winscp program and enter the following into the console window minus the quote "hnd-write AX6000_3004_388.4.pkgtb"

3. Final step is reboot the router.

Any advice and further guidance will be much appreciated.

Don't do that.

Use the emergency recovery (or whatever it's called) method with Asus' tool and holding the reset button while applying power. Link to Asus' web page about it appears earlier in this thread. At least that way the /only/ way you can mess up is by sending a wrong firmware file.

Doing it the way you're asking about, in/by the way you're asking, you stand several other chances of fatally messing up beyond an improper firmware selection.

Don't do that.

Use the emergency recovery (or whatever it's called) method with Asus' tool and holding the reset button while applying power. Link to Asus' web page about it appears earlier in this thread. At least that way the /only/ way you can mess up is by sending a wrong firmware file.

Doing it the way you're asking about, in/by the way you're asking, you stand several other chances of fatally messing up beyond an improper firmware selection.
I have tried the following method but there is no luck at all and hence the last method will be probably through winscp;

1. Disable the CSS style under browser and upload firmware. It will stop at 90% and then boot back to the original version GT-AX6000_3.0.0.6_102_21514-Asus

2. Using the firmware restoration / rescue mode and upload firmware. It will stop at 67% and then boot back to original.

3. Change the GT-AX6000 into a aimesh node and then revert back and still no luck. The browse file and upload buttons are still missing under the firmware upgrade page.

4. Using the hard reset via WPS and it is still the same.

In the event that I could try WinScp method (with the above error 127 resolved) and if it still fails, I will return back to Asus and get a replacement since this is still under warranty (less than 1 month old). It will be useless if the firmware for the router cannot be uploaded manually and have to depend on Auto Upgrade from Asus.

Last edited:
You have to have an ssh server running on the router to ssh in to a shell prompt, or to scp anything in to (or out of) the router. You also have to have sufficient acquaintance with the interactive shell to successfully manipulate it. Such things as relative vs. absolute paths, current working directory, how to enter commands and their parameters, etc.

I or many others here could provide step-by-step instruction. In actuality, if you were well-versed enough to perform the operation you'd have already been able to follow what was stated earlier in the thread. That's why I admonish you to not attempt that at this time.

If you cannot succeed using the established reset-recovery method then you should return / exchange the router or seek willing local (hands-on) assistance.

I'm sorry if my thoughts in this case disappoint or offend you. It's a highly performant device worth every penny you paid for it. It would be unfair to everyone upstream in the sales chain for you to "brick" it then seek remedy from them.

3. Change the GT-AX6000 into a aimesh node and then revert back and still no luck. The browse file and upload buttons are still missing under the firmware upgrade page.
It's been a while since reading the part of the thread which covered that, but I was thinking the idea was to make it a node and, _while_it's_the_node_, you upload its firmware via the controlling router's web interface. Your text quoted here suggests you (successfully?) made it a node, then switched it back to router mode, and only /then/ tried the firmware upload in its own web interface again.

"Cannot execute SCP to start transfer. Please make sure that SCP is installed on the server and path to it is included in PATH. You may also try SFTP instead of SCP.
Command failed with return code 127." (how to overcome this error?)
Are you on stock firmware now and trying to go to Merlin?
Stock firmware does not have SCP support anymore hence why you get the error message.

This works for me in Firefox.
  1. Browse to the firmware update page.
  2. Open a Web Console with Ctrl-Shift-K.
  3. At the >> prompt, type open_AiMesh_router_fw_upgrade();
That should invoke the firmware upgrade function and open a file browser so you can select the firmware file.

It's been a while since reading the part of the thread which covered that, but I was thinking the idea was to make it a node and, _while_it's_the_node_, you upload its firmware via the controlling router's web interface. Your text quoted here suggests you (successfully?) made it a node, then switched it back to router mode, and only /then/ tried the firmware upload in its own web interface again.
I have set the AX6000 to aimesh node but I can't find any upload link in the amesh node mode. When I do a hard factory reset of AX6000 to remove the aimesh mode, the upload link does not appear either in router mode.

Maybe I will give another try using Merlin firmware now.

Are you on stock firmware now and trying to go to Merlin?
Stock firmware does not have SCP support anymore hence why you get the error message.
Lol, I dunno why and I seem to be able to upload Merlin latest firmware GT-AX6000_3004_388.4_0_Merlin.pkgtb to the router now using the restoration / rescue mode after several countless attempts. However the upload link still does not appear and I tried again several times to change / downgrade the firmware via restoration rescue mode but unsuccessful.

You are absolutely right. I can upload the below firmware to the tmp folder now.
GT-AX6000_3.0.0.4_388_23285-g5068da5_nand_squashfs.pkgtb and GT-AX6000_388.2_2_rog_nand_squashfs.pkgtb into the router /tmp/ folder

Can I rename this file to a shorter length such as "GT-AX6000_3.0.0.4_388_23285.pkgtb" or "GT-AX6000_388.2_2_rog.pkgtb" and then use ssh command hnd-write GT-AX6000_388.2_2_rog.pkgtb via the command prompt?
I will like to downgrade to Merlin firmware and see if the upload link appears and if not then try the Asus firmware via this SCP method. By right it should check for new firmware upgrade for Asus firmware (not sure abt Merlin firmware).
From there I can try another firmware upgrade to the latest and see if the upgrade link / buttons appears. Is this practical and workable?
I am not sure if I can return to Asus under warranty with the Merlin firmware in the event I can't change it. I will have to keep trying....

Attachments

• No upload link shown in Merlin 388.4.jpg
    No upload link shown in Merlin 388.4.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 24

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!