What's new

Unable to see/access SAMBA on PC - Asus RT-AX82U with usb flashdrive connected

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

He is going to have an issue then. As pointed out, stock firmware is SMBv1 only right? Not to mention you can't edit the smb.conf file on stock firmware.
Yes, but I was only referring to the part I quoted. Just to see if it made a difference.

The SMB protocol version incompatible issue would have been my first guess.
I think that's quite likely to but I couldn't immediately find confirmation of that in Google.

He is going to have an issue then. As pointed out, stock firmware is SMBv1 only right? Not to mention you can't edit the smb.conf file on stock firmware.

The SMB protocol version incompatible issue would have been my first guess.
Yes, but I was only referring to the part I quoted. Just to see if it made a difference.

I think that's quite likely to but I couldn't immediately find confirmation of that in Google.
Thanks colin and jeffrey. Unfortunately this hasn't worked and after pressing okay, it just gets stuck at a "loading" screen.

I'm wondering whether a different android app would work or whether I could change to another firmware to resolve this issue?

I'm wondering whether a different android app would work or whether I could change to another firmware to resolve this issue?
I would try to find a different app rather than change the firmware. If you have to change firmware the only one I know of for the RT-AX82U is this which is a fork of the Merlin firmware (which does support SMBv2).

It's not for certain that the article that Colin pointed out is the cause, but it would be a good bet. From that article, it sounds like your client software on the TV (VLC) wants SMBv3. Even with Merlin, you are not going to get that (Merlin will support SMBv2). I am not even sure the AX82 is supported by Merlin.

To be honest, most folks are going to tell you that a router as a media server is not the greatest idea. These boxes have gotten pretty powerful in recent years, but if the AX series is like past routers, load them up on the media server/SMB side, and you will likely start to see strange things.

Have you considered another app for the TV. One that will settle with a lessor protocol? I can't suggest one as I don't use my TV in this way (that, and I have a Raspi 4 as my NAS).

Good luck

And I see Colin post at the same time. Anyway, good luck with the endeavor. It is always something to keep you on your toes.

Thanks guys. I'm a bit nervous going for a fw which is experimental or as Jeffrey says does not support SMBv3. I'm going to try looking for an app, although not sure how this will make an actual difference. If you do know of an app name, then please let me know. In the meantime, thanks for all your help.

Good morning guys. Well after trying different apps, I got sick of the whole thing and gave up. I think you're right that I shouldn't use a router as a NAS. I only want a single drive to put a few movies/tv shows on which can then be shared across multiple devices in the home. I'm not bothered about backup, so can anyone please recommend me the cheapest possible enclosure option? If it helps, I already have a spare SSD and a spare 3tb hard drive.