What's new

Unbound - Authoritative Recursive Caching DNS Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those interested in improving unbound performance, I need testers with command line experience. And who are willing to collaborate with feedback.

What is the “mechanism” for managing ADblock? When I was trying out Diversion deleting/adding domains was very easy. How is this done in ADblock?

As the logs capture queries and everything, the file expands. To guarantee performance and check for problems, with each adblock update, the LOG file is removed.

Unbound/Adblock
updated with the addition of domains and options in Unbound for blocking efficiency. I am implementing the blocking by CNAME Cloaking non ECS. For now, for my false positive tests.

How large will the unbound log get? Right now mine is a little over 82 megs.

How large will the unbound log get? Right now mine is a little over 82 megs.
Particularly, I don't see the need for LOG's for a long time. It goes from each user. It is difficult to organize an LOG policy for the ideal DNS. For the unbound, the ideal would be LOG's of errors only. However, there are users who want to check queries, etc.

Diversion caused too many issues with my wife’s web surfing and I could never tell if AD Block was actually doing anything so I uninstalled it after a couple of days.
It blocks just as much as you tell it to. And I have no doubt that Diversion works - as long as requests go to the routers Dnsmasq ;)

How is this done in ADblock?
Via SSH: you can add allowed hosts to the file:
Code:
nano /opt/var/lib/unbound/adblock/permlist
Block custom domains at:
Code:
nano /opt/var/lib/unbound/adblock/blockhost

It blocks just as much as you tell it to. And I have no doubt that Diversion works - as long as requests go to the routers Dnsmasq ;)

Oh yes, Diversion definitely works! I just got tired of hearing my wife complain about her “ internet “ not working properly.

I loved it!

Via SSH: you can add allowed hosts to the file:
Code:
nano /opt/var/lib/unbound/adblock/permlist
Block custom domains at:
Code:
nano /opt/var/lib/unbound/adblock/blockhost

Thanks. I may give ADblock another try.

In ADblock, is there a way to place my wife’s iPhone and laptop in an exclusion list so she will not be filtered? All my devices are assigned static IPs. The only caveat is I am running IPv6.

Please do not make comparisons with Diversion (great software) with the adblock solution for Unbound. Both do not compete. The adblock initiative for Unbound came about to make the most of unbound.

Oh yes, Diversion definitely works! I just got tired of hearing my wife complain about her “ internet “ not working properly.

I loved it!
Now I can rest in peace, thanks Mr. Smokey.

Can you elaborate on the differences of the “objectives” between ADblock and Diversion, ie. what is the goal of each? I am sure I am not the only one to possibly confuse the intent of the two programs.

Can you elaborate on the differences of the “objectives” between ADblock and Diversion, ie. what is the goal of each? I am sure I am not the only one to possibly confuse the intent of the two programs.
That has yet to be determined. I am the old timer here, while @rgnldo edges his way into that field. We are working on it.

Is the adblock package the same one used on OpenWRT? The documentation on the page helps clarify how it works. I have used it on my OpenWRT travel router without issues.

That has yet to be determined. I am the old timer here, while @rgnldo edges his way into that field. We are working on it.
I have a lot to thank @thelonelycoder. The unbound adblock has great influences from Diversion, it is our inspiration. The initiative appeared only to favor the work of the unbound.

I use your adblock and it works great , same as Diversion which is also awesome and have easy whitelisting ability but I prefer using 1 script instead of 2 so I chose adblock , does the same job for me ( I prefer not using pixelserv as it causes DCD crash which spams the router)

In ADblock, is there a way to place my wife’s iPhone and laptop in an exclusion list so she will not be filtered? All my devices are assigned static IPs. The only caveat is I am running IPv6.

There are some safe suggestions:
  • Create a vlan;
  • Create a guest network;
  • change add static DNS on devices.

Unbound, user observations:

1) After a day or so using Unbound, (Stubby not integrated), Diversion, Pixelserv, & Skynet I note my router’s RAM is maxed out. Previously, using Dns privacy it had around 150mb free.
No apparent bad effects though, all working fine. As reported by others, web surfing more “snappy”.

2) Pixelserv in uiDivStats showing tmx times of >1.3 seconds.
Under the previous regime, 300 or so ms was about the highest reported.

Once again, no apparent ill effects.

3) The GRC dns spoofability test says my home grown unbound dns server rates “excellent”.

The journey continues.......:):p

There are some safe suggestions:
  • Create a vlan;
  • Create a guest network;
  • change add static DNS on devices.

I think option three will be my best option as her devices need access to our network printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!