What's new

Unbound - Authoritative Recursive Caching DNS Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Small thing: it's kind of annoying not having the 5 total prompts in a row. Right now you answer 4 (Logging through ad-blocking), then you have to wait for ad block to download and install, and then you have to come back and answer the Firefox DoH prompt. Would be a bit more streamlined if the user could answer all 5 up front, hit enter, and return later with a fully functional Unbound setup.
Wow, I wish I had a fulfilling lifestyle as befits the YOLO generation....or perchance those with the attention span of a goldfish or whose right arm is otherwise engaged? ;)

To suffer in a time-poor situation must have really been a struggle for you find the time/interrupt your exciting lifestyle to write/post your 'suggestion', subsequently...

TL;DR

Let's be frank, the script is nominally an 'installer' (albeit one in a state of flux dependent on the whims of the SME), and one wouldn't expect to have to endure the 90-120 seconds install process more than a couple of times, although I acknowledge the script has evolved into more of a CLI unbound manager rather than a simple dedicated installer.

User prompts are, what they are, however how 'kind of annoying' would it be if I pulled/deleted the script so that the unbound install process needed to be performed manually?

What would be truly annoying would be if the script install (whilst nominally running in 'unattended' mode) were to randomly issue User prompts tee hee jolly wheeze eh!:cool:

Clearly you consider your few seconds are more precious and take priority over the considerable amount of time I need to spend at the keyboard accommodating such requests?

P.S. Have you asked the other script developers if they too can streamline/automate their script prompts/replies?

Enjoy

Wow, I wish I had a fulfilling lifestyle as befits the YOLO generation....or perchance those with the attention span of a goldfish or whose right arm is otherwise engaged? ;)

To suffer in a time-poor situation must have really been a struggle for you find the time/interrupt your exciting lifestyle to write/post your 'suggestion', subsequently...

TL;DR

Let's be frank, the script is nominally an 'installer' (albeit one in a state of flux dependent on the whims of the SME), and one wouldn't expect to have to endure the 90-120 seconds install process more than a couple of times, although I acknowledge the script has evolved into more of a CLI unbound manager rather than a simple dedicated installer.

User prompts are, what they are, however how 'kind of annoying' would it be if I pulled/deleted the script so that the unbound install process needed to be performed manually?

What would be truly annoying would be if the script install (whilst nominally running in 'unattended' mode) were to randomly issue User prompts tee hee jolly wheeze eh!:cool:

Clearly you consider your few seconds are more precious and take priority over the considerable amount of time I need to spend at the keyboard accommodating such requests?

P.S. Have you asked the other script developers if they too can streamline/automate their script prompts/replies?

Enjoy
Haha Martineau buddy I’m sure I speak for EVERYONE here when I say I’m incredibly grateful for all of the hard work and progress on this. I’ve been following every step of the way and both the script and Unbound performance just keep getting better!

Your point is well taken. Keep up the good work

@Martineau, thank you for letting us see the 'other side' of the issue in such an entertaining way! :)

Please do not pull this script, I know I would never be able to install unbound within a 24 hour period successfully if you did!

Thanks for all you do and all your contributions throughout the forum. Have a great day and an awesome weekend! :)

I see unbound has come long way. Im currently using the built-in DoT with stubby enabled all thru GUI with DNSSEC and cloudflare and DNS filter set to Router with no issues. Does the current installation assist with what should be disabled /enabled in order to use unbound? Also under the WAN DNS settings, should I leave the connect to DNS server automatically to "no" if I'm tryin to test unbound? And can I leave DNS Server 1 and 2 as 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1? Thanks for the assist!

I'm also using Skynet and Diversion and hope we can still use with unbound.

I see unbound has come long way. Im currently using the built-in DoT with stubby enabled all thru GUI with DNSSEC and cloudflare and DNS filter set to Router with no issues. Does the current installation assist with what should be disabled /enabled in order to use unbound? Also under the WAN DNS settings, should I leave the connect to DNS server automatically to "no" if I'm tryin to test unbound? And can I leave DNS Server 1 and 2 as 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1? Thanks for the assist!

I'm also using Skynet and Diversion and hope we can still use with unbound.
The installer script will dynamically sever the link between dnsmasq and Stubby and will point dnsmasq (and Diversion) to use Unbound. It won’t matter what WAN DNS is set to, except for the router’s own lookups. Clients will pass requests through dnsmasq and Diversion, and then forward to Unbound.

If you stick with Unbound, you might want to disable DNSPrivacy so it doesn’t startup Stubby unnecessarily, using memory.

In alpha tests. This will not go to the installer script. I am implementing a stub-zone on unbound with pixelserv-tls.
Code:
@rgnldo:/tmp/mnt/ENTWARE/entware/var/cache/pixelserv# /opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung restart
 Shutting down pixelserv-tls...              done.
 Starting pixelserv-tls...              done.
 Shutting down unbound...              done.
 Starting unbound...              done.
 Shutting down haveged...              done.
 Starting haveged...              done.
Code:
o@rgnldo:/tmp/mnt/ENTWARE/entware/var/cache/pixelserv# /opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung check
 Checking haveged...              alive.
 Checking unbound...              alive.
 Checking pixelserv-tls...              alive.
Code:
ifconfig br0:pixelserv 192.168.1.3 up
Code:
openssl genrsa -out ca.key 1024
Code:
openssl req -key ca.key -new -x509 -days 3650 -sha256 -extensions v3_ca -out ca.crt -subj "/C
N=Pixelserv CA"
Code:
#!/bin/sh
export TZ=$(cat /etc/TZ)
ENABLED=yes
PROCS=pixelserv-tls
ARGS="192.168.1.3"
PREARGS=""
PRECMD="ulimit -s 64"
DESC=$PROCS
PATH=/opt/sbin:/opt/bin:/opt/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

. /opt/etc/init.d/rc.func
Code:
stub-zone:
    name: "rgnldo.lan"
    stub-addr: 192.168.1.3
stub-zone:
    name: "1.168.192.in-addr.arp"
Goal here is to provide performance and latency reduction. A good experience High response and performance. :):D

Last edited:
I see one "Unbouns" instead of "Unbound"...

(don't know whether that's only in this mock-up or in the real script)

Also you might consider to be more consistent by always using "Unbound" or "unbound" instead of a mix?

I am not running Diversion but I am running other scripts listed on my signature. Would this be a pretty straight forward install for my setup?

Getting this after installing.

Untitled1.jpg

Are my dns settings correct?

Untitled2.jpg

Using Diversion, Pixelserv-tls and Skynet as well..

ideally the script interrupts the installation when there are no pre-reqs

Getting this after installing.

View attachment 20841

Are my dns settings correct?

View attachment 20842

Using Diversion, Pixelserv-tls and Skynet as well..
Good luck...I decided to install unbound last night. So far no issues. I'm trying to look into the customization
CPU/memory usage and what can I gain from making changes here and how do I go about making these changes?

In alpha tests. This will not go to the installer script. I am implementing a stub-zone on unbound with pixelserv-tls.
Code:
@rgnldo:/tmp/mnt/ENTWARE/entware/var/cache/pixelserv# /opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung restart
 Shutting down pixelserv-tls...              done.
 Starting pixelserv-tls...              done.
 Shutting down unbound...              done.
 Starting unbound...              done.
 Shutting down haveged...              done.
 Starting haveged...              done.
Code:
o@rgnldo:/tmp/mnt/ENTWARE/entware/var/cache/pixelserv# /opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung check
 Checking haveged...              alive.
 Checking unbound...              alive.
 Checking pixelserv-tls...              alive.
Code:
ifconfig br0:pixelserv 192.168.1.3 up
Code:
openssl genrsa -out ca.key 1024
Code:
openssl req -key ca.key -new -x509 -days 3650 -sha256 -extensions v3_ca -out ca.crt -subj "/C
N=Pixelserv CA"
Code:
#!/bin/sh
export TZ=$(cat /etc/TZ)
ENABLED=yes
PROCS=pixelserv-tls
ARGS="192.168.1.3"
PREARGS=""
PRECMD="ulimit -s 64"
DESC=$PROCS
PATH=/opt/sbin:/opt/bin:/opt/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

. /opt/etc/init.d/rc.func
Code:
stub-zone:
    name: "rgnldo.lan"
stub-zone:
    name: "1.168.192.in-addr.arp"
Goal here is to provide performance and latency reduction. A good experience High response and performance. :):D
I am glad to see you are testing with Pixelserv-tls. look forward to seeing the feedback.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!