What's new

Unbound - Authoritative Recursive Caching DNS Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, if I wanted to give Unbound another shot, what would be the recommended installation process? I, like I think a lot of other forum members, have gotten real confused with all this “back and forth” installation/configurations posted in this thread. o_O
Post 1 has the manual steps again.

First, again another exposure and disrespect for the level of my knowledge. I organized this post for the purpose of just installing unbound on FW Merlin. At no time did I say what a bag of Github or even that I intended to live with some shell script encoder.

The invitation was to write the script only to benefit end users, with less knowledge. I don't need a script at all.

It costs to talk politely. What was the problem that I didn't go there and solve?

Do you remember your poorly written and undefined script released on Github yesterday (total chaos) ?
Code:
(aka '/jffs/addons/unbound/unbound.postconf')
/opt/bin/unbound_manager: line 2177: can't create /jffs/saddons/unbound/unbound.postconf:
What was my posture? I'm out
I'm sorry to see you go like this, but I think I speak for all here that we are very grateful for your contribution, and bringing this idea of Unbound + Merlin FW to life (even with help of others)! It is a real pain to have gotten even this far I am sure. I hope to see you back on in the future, but I know you are working on other projects also! As you said, we are in good hands regardless. Thank you all for working on this! Especially as a hobby / for fun. Seriously, thank you all - I look forward to see where the future brings us. :)

No hurts. If I had known that Jack Yaz's intended to keep the repository I would have passed it on to him much earlier. I did my best. All the changes I made to unbound.conf were generated by extensive testing with the dig and nslookup command. If you were satisfied with the unbound performance it was because there was a lot of work. Note that when I chose the file stuning.sh it was no accident. And just when there was this problem I was organizing a solution to reduce WAN latency, in response time, that is, ACK.

Last edited:
I've pushed v2.02.

This should allow everyone to upgrade to the latest unbound v1.9.6 release.

@Jack Yaz I appreciate you hosting the deleted files - very community spirited. :)

I haven't decided how to proceed with the script, as I don't expect you to ensure that any changes in post #1 are reflected in your GitHub i.e. the version of 'unbound.conf' has surprise, surprise already changed several times today with differing cache sizes etc.)

Furthermore, clearly the continued use of 'stuning' / 'FireFox DoH' is now also questionable.

P.S. If it isn't too much trouble, could you please add the Version header to the 'unbound.conf' as that is all I was asking for, ...... which unfortunately sparked the current childish tantrum. ;)

Last edited:
Good education is always well received. The unbound solution is open source, it's not mine. This disagreement is passed. I hope that new solutions and technologies will emerge, coming from others, etc.

And if i simply want to upgrade an already installed version, how?

Update:

Never mind, i remembered to just run:

unbound_manager

DOH

Last edited:
Well, you know how much space the Brexit will save?

1 GB.

(I'll get my coat...)
:D I don't know how far Brexit wins. The real win is dollar.

Last edited:
Unbound should also be a simple set-and-forget service. There isn’t much to configure and adjust. Don’t lose interest yet. I haven’t agreed with the choices to add ad-blocking and Stubby integration because those problems are already solved on Merlin’s firmware very well.

I’m very happy with my minimal config for Unbound and I hope that Martineau will import all the files (that Jack rescued) into his own repo and be the maintainer going forward. The rest of us can suggest changes or make pull requests, but there needs to be tight version control as Martineau has pleaded for at least twice.

I appreciate everyone’s contributions. We’ve come a long way. And with the latest Unbound now released, we’re much more secure. :)

On board with Unbound once more, hopefully a somewhat more tranquil journey than previous?!o_O
No Stubby, no Unbound ad block. Diversion all the way!

On board with Unbound once more, hopefully a somewhat more tranquil journey than previous?!o_O
No Stubby, no Unbound ad block. Diversion all the way!

Hear hear ... I have been watching this unbound thread for some months - but have been reluctant to step into these turbid waters.

The constantly evolving ecosystem around Merlin-Ware with its amicable, cooperative and user-friendly approach is SUCH a pleasure for non-coders like me to extend the benefits of our investment in Asus Routers. Hey "amigo's" - lose the ego's - and keep it tidy :cool:.

I look forward to a simple procedure via amtm for us non-coders to benefit from unbound while retaining the inter-operative ability of existing add-ons :D.

Hear hear ... I have been watching this unbound thread for some months - but have been reluctant to step into these turbid waters.

The constantly evolving ecosystem around Merlin-Ware with its amicable, cooperative and user-friendly approach is SUCH a pleasure for non-coders like me to extend the benefits of our investment in Asus Routers. Hey "amigo's" - lose the ego's - and keep it tidy :cool:.

I look forward to a simple procedure via amtm for us non-coders to benefit from unbound while retaining the inter-operative ability of existing add-ons :D.

Its almost already there - post 975

Its almost already there - post 975

Awesome - but a quick suggestion to @Martineau and/or @Jack Yaz - please open a brand new "[Release] - unbound recursive DNS caching server" thread with the launch of the amtm included script ... and leave behind the confusing banter within this thread :).

Awesome - but a quick suggestion to @Martineau and/or @Jack Yaz - please open a brand new "[Release] - unbound recursive DNS caching server" thread with the launch of the amtm included script ... and leave behind the confusing banter within this thread :).
I'm just acting as a host, for now. I'll read up on Unbound so I can actually understand the config, but I believe @Martineau is leading the installer side of things.

I'm just acting as a host, for now. I'll read up on Unbound so I can actually understand the config, but I believe @Martineau is leading the installer side of things.
yea i quickly forked up what ever stuff i could salvage if you or Martineau need any help don't be afraid to drop me a line. I would love to assist for the good of the Rmerlin users that want this project to continue.

yea i quickly forked up what ever stuff i could salvage if you or Martineau need any help don't be afraid to drop me a line. I would love to assist for the good of the Rmerlin users that want this project to continue.
Thanks @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow for the offer.

I'm still undecided if I should take down the script and walk way, given I'm saddened and disappointed to have been accused of having an 'ego' by @kernol (as unofficial spokesperson for the community?), when I became an unfortunate whistle-blower by simply diligently reiterating that the integrity of users' routers be held paramount

i.e. version control and accountability is mandatory when silently uploading experimental configuration files to the users' environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!