What's new

Unbound or DNSCrypt + OpenVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

galantis

New Around Here
Hi all,

Not sure if this has already been asked. I'm newbie to the whole merlin and open sourced project.

I've setup Diversion and Skynet on my AC86U router.

My question: Wondering for DNS resolver and generally internet traffic encryption, what are some of the approaches available?

My thoughts

1) Unbound - for DNS resolver but what can I use for internet traffic encryption?

or

2) Use DNSCrypt with OpenVPN ?

Let me know if I've missed anything or not make sense.

thankyou.

Hi all,

Not sure if this has already been asked. I'm newbie to the whole merlin and open sourced project.

I've setup Diversion and Skynet on my AC86U router.

My question: Wondering for DNS resolver and generally internet traffic encryption, what are some of the approaches available?

My thoughts

1) Unbound - for DNS resolver but what can I use for internet traffic encryption?

or

2) Use DNSCrypt with OpenVPN ?

Let me know if I've missed anything or not make sense.

thankyou.
Welcome to the forum!
Unbound is a popular option, you will become your own dns server and it only uses root servers when needed and most lookups will be cached and very fast as i understand it, but it is not encrypted but harder to detect then regular dns and i think it is a built in vpn setting in the unbound manager.

Think unbound can be used with DNS over TLS servers also, But in the routers firmware you already have that option under wan (DNS privacy protocol=DNS over TLS)

I use DNSCrypt-proxy v2 it support DNS over HTTPS and DNSCrypt servers and used it for several years with OpenVPN.
DNSCrypt also have Anonymized DNSCrypt & Oblivious DoH that routes dns via relay servers so the chosen server can not see your ip.
Hope this helps

Last edited: