What's new

Unbound unbound_manager (Manager/Installer utility for unbound - Recursive DNS Server) - General questions / discussion thread 2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Did unbound just had an update? I installed today and get version v3.22b6. It is pretty much just install and go, no more easy / advance mode to choose? I remember the last time I install couple of weeks ago there are so many options to choose and I was lost.
I like this one better, install and it just works.
By the way, which is the correct version?
7 open unbound Manager v3.22b6
unbound (pid 19819) is running... uptime: 0 Days, 00:08:15 version: 1.12.0 # Version=v1.11 Martineau update

Did unbound just had an update? I installed today and get version v3.22b6. It is pretty much just install and go, no more easy / advance mode to choose? I remember the last time I install couple of weeks ago there are so many options to choose and I was lost.
I like this one better, install and it just works.
By the way, which is the correct version?
7 open unbound Manager v3.22b6
unbound (pid 19819) is running... uptime: 0 Days, 00:08:15 version: 1.12.0 # Version=v1.11 Martineau update
Code:
unbound_manager
v3.21 is the current stable release, with v3.22b6 available from the development Github branch.

unbound_manager Advanced menu mode is still available, but the Easy menu mode should be the default from the amtm install

Last edited:
Is this normal, that there are so many high resolving times?

Attachments

• 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    14.2 KB · Views: 151
Trying to upgrade unbound, started to get errors. Uninstalled it and it keept giving me this error with CMP.

cmp: relocation error: cmp: symbol topt_long version GLIBC_2.17 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

cmp command is not run as /usr/bin/cmp but by a (non-existing) Entware package

EP 2 output.jpg

Trying to upgrade unbound, started to get errors. Uninstalled it and it keept giving me this error with CMP.

cmp: relocation error: cmp: symbol topt_long version GLIBC_2.17 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

cmp command is not run as /usr/bin/cmp but by a (non-existing) Entware package
I don't understand where you got this information

"cmp command is not run as /usr/bin/cmp but by a (non-existing) Entware package"

The cmp Entware utility is installed as part of package diffutils

i.e.
Code:
opkg files diffutils

Package diffutils (3.7-2) is installed on root and has the following files:
/opt/bin/sdiff
/opt/bin/cmp
/opt/bin/diff3
/opt/bin/diff
Many scripts rely on the diff utility, hence the reason why the package is installed.

I don't understand where you got this information

"cmp command is not run as /usr/bin/cmp but by a (non-existing) Entware package"

The cmp Entware utility is installed as part of package diffutils

i.e.
Code:
opkg files diffutils

Package diffutils (3.7-2) is installed on root and has the following files:
/opt/bin/sdiff
/opt/bin/cmp
/opt/bin/diff3
/opt/bin/diff
Many scripts rely on the diff utility, hence the reason why the package is installed.

I also had issues with Diversion. @thelonelycoder, helped me to resolve this. Some old cmp was left. After deleting and rebooting. All is now good and well.

A thank you for Unbound v3.22 to Martineau and contributors. Because of the config checks by the install script, installation was low effort. Operation for a few days has been flawless afaict. RT-AC86U 386.1 Cache hit success percent: 99.23.

I reload unbound with firewall enabled and then get some parse errors.
It appears the site https://urlhaus.abuse.ch/ is down. Can help to check is it really down or just me? Thanks.
Error 503 Backend unavailable, connection timeout

Code:
admin@RT-AC86U-DBA8:/tmp/mnt/amtm/entware/share/unbound/configs# /jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_rpz.sh download #Unbound_RPZ.sh#
(unbound_rpz.sh): 10753 Attempting to Download 1 of 1 from https://urlhaus.abuse.ch/downloads/rpz/.
######################################################################## 100.0%
(unbound_rpz.sh): 10753 Reload unbound for zone named rpz.urlhaus.abuse.ch
error no auth-zone rpz.urlhaus.abuse.ch
admin@RT-AC86U-DBA8:/tmp/mnt/amtm/entware/share/unbound/configs#

I reload unbound with firewall enabled and then get some parse errors.
It appears the site https://urlhaus.abuse.ch/ is down. Can help to check is it really down or just me? Thanks.
Error 503 Backend unavailable, connection timeout

Code:
admin@RT-AC86U-DBA8:/tmp/mnt/amtm/entware/share/unbound/configs# /jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_rpz.sh download #Unbound_RPZ.sh#
(unbound_rpz.sh): 10753 Attempting to Download 1 of 1 from https://urlhaus.abuse.ch/downloads/rpz/.
######################################################################## 100.0%
(unbound_rpz.sh): 10753 Reload unbound for zone named rpz.urlhaus.abuse.ch
error no auth-zone rpz.urlhaus.abuse.ch
admin@RT-AC86U-DBA8:/tmp/mnt/amtm/entware/share/unbound/configs#
I too get

1613389803529.png

I seem to have to keep clicking Update stats to get the graph to display information and it doesn't have any data between updates. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

EDIT: Answered here.

Last edited:
Installed Unbound a week ago, seems to be running fine. However whenever I reboot or schedule a reboot of the router, I loose the Unbound GUI tab in the addons menu. The unbound_manager at this point gives the option to install- this I do and all is well untill the router is again rebooted. I got into the habit of scheduling a regular reboot of the RT- AC86u (1 per week) perhaps this no longer required with the RT-AX86u.

The ntpMerlin GUI tab survives a reboot

What am I doing wrong?

Installed unbound by amtm and installed the ad-blocking tools yesterday. All green during the installation so the setup of the router was okay however no DNS queries are logged let alone any ads being blocked.

Standard Statistics
--------------------------------------------------------

Number of DNS queries: 0
Number of queries that were successfully answered using cache lookup (ie. cache hit): 0
Number of queries that needed recursive lookup (ie. cache miss): 0
Number of queries dropped because request list was full: 0
Average number of requests in list for recursive processing: 0

Extended Statistics

RRset cache usage in bytes: 42120
Message cache usage in bytes: 19610

Adblock Statistics
Number of adblocked (ads/malware/tracker) and blacklisted hosts: 65130
Last updated: Fri Feb 26 22:46:54 2021

Cache hit success percent: 0

Installed Unbound a week ago, seems to be running fine. However whenever I reboot or schedule a reboot of the router, I loose the Unbound GUI tab in the addons menu. The unbound_manager at this point gives the option to install- this I do and all is well untill the router is again rebooted. I got into the habit of scheduling a regular reboot of the RT- AC86u (1 per week) perhaps this no longer required with the RT-AX86u.

The ntpMerlin GUI tab survives a reboot
I'm also experiencing that and I couldn't find any solutions. All other webui pages (uiDivStats, FlexQoS, ntpMerlin, scMerlin, Skynet, connmon, spdMerlin) survive a reboot, but the unbound gui addon tab.

I'm also experiencing that and I couldn't find any solutions. All other webui pages (uiDivStats, FlexQoS, ntpMerlin, scMerlin, Skynet, connmon, spdMerlin) survive a reboot, but the unbound gui addon tab.
Can you try add a 3 seconds delay in /jffs/scripts/post-mount
Code:
#!/bin/sh
...snipped...
/bin/sleep 3s    # give the disk 3 sec to really be ready
/jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_stats.sh startup # Unbound_Stats.sh

Code:
#!/bin/sh
...snipped...
Thanks, done as suggested and the unbound GUI tab has survived the reboot this time

Code:
#!/bin/sh
...snipped...
Thank you very much. Unbound stats tab survives a reboot now.

@Martineau I'm getting two erros when using latest dev version:

1: using rl
Code:
Reloading 'unbound.conf' status=11:48:47 Saving unbound cache to '/opt/share/unbound/configs/cache.txt' msg.cache=638/636 rrset.cache=2173/2173
ok
[1614599328] unbound-control[20501:0] fatal error: could not recv: Connection reset by peer
        ***ERROR unbound NOT running! - option unavailable
11:48:49 Checking 'unbound.conf' for valid Syntax.....
11:48:49 Requesting unbound (S61unbound) restart.....

2: editing ad block allow list (ea)
after processing the allow list if I use "el" to see the adblock file, the list showed is the "ea" list. Only after I use "ecb" the correct list shows when using "el".
not my best explanation but using "ea" then "el" shows incorrect list.

Code:
[1614599328] unbound-control[20501:0] fatal error: could not recv: Connection reset by peer
        ***ERROR unbound NOT running! - option unavailable
11:48:49 Checking 'unbound.conf' for valid Syntax.....
11:48:49 Requesting unbound (S61unbound) restart.....
Hopefully unbound does actually successfully restart?
see
2: editing ad block allow list (ea)
after processing the allow list if I use "el" to see the adblock file, the list showed is the "ea" list. Only after I use "ecb" the correct list shows when using "el".
not my best explanation but using "ea" then "el" shows incorrect list.
The 'Advanced' mode menu shows el {Ad Block file}
Code:
i  = Update unbound and configuration ('/opt/var/lib/unbound/')     l  = Show unbound LIVE (Loglevel=1) log entries (lx=Disable Logging)
z  = Remove unbound/unbound_manager                                 v  = View ('/opt/var/lib/unbound/') unbound Configuration (vx=Edit;vh=help)
x  = Stop unbound                                                   vb = Backup current (/opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.conf) Configuration
                                                                    rl = Reload Configuration (Doesn't halt unbound) e.g. 'rl test1[.conf]' (Recovery use 'rl reset/user')
?  = About Configuration                                            oq = Query unbound Configuration option e.g 'oq verbosity' (ox=Set) e.g. 'ox log-queries yes'
sd = Show dnsmasq Statistics/Cache Size                             s  = Show unbound Extended statistics (s=Summary Totals; sa=All; http://10.88.8.1:80/user1.asp)
                                                                    adblock = Install Ad Block [uninstall | update | track]
DisableFirefoxDoH = Disable Firefox DoH [yes | no]                  youtube = Install YouTube Ad Block [uninstall | update]
Stubby = Enable Stubby Integration                                  DoT = Enable DNS-over-TLS
                                                                    firewall = Enable DNS Firewall [disable | ?]
bind = BIND unbound to WAN [debug | disable | debug show]           vpn = BIND unbound to VPN {vpnid [debug]} | [disable | debug show] e.g. vpn 1

scribe = Enable scribe (syslog-ng) unbound logging                  ad = Analyse Diversion White/Block lists ([ file_name [type=adblock] ])
dnsmasq = Disable dnsmasq [disable | interfaces | nointerfaces]     ea = Edit Ad Block Allowlist (eb=Blocklist; eca=Config-AllowSites; ecb=Config-BlockSites; el {Ad Block file})

<snip>
where the braces { } denote a mandatory argument (as opposed to brackets [ ] which denote optional)

The idea was that you may have several Adblock test files say '/opt/share/config/MyAdblock.txt' that you wish to edit before copying them to the appropriate 'live' file.

So if you (secretly) ignore the menu prompt and do not specify the filename argument, the last (lengthy?) non-standard Adblock file path opened by el (or say ea) will be conveniently reopened.

However, I have uploaded a patched version to enforce the el mandatory argument requirement {Ad Block file} rather than (sneakily) accept it as optional [Ad Block file]
Code:
e  = Exit Script [?]

A:Option ==> el

Ad Block file to be edited not specified
    Ad Block file '' NOT found?
You may test unbound_manager Beta v3.23b8
Code:
[CODE]e  = Exit Script [?]

A:Option ==> uf dev

unbound_manager.sh downloaded successfully Github 'dev/development' branch

unbound Manager UPDATE Complete! 6b4a500c071bcbb3f4a6e9596a178d43
To revert to v3.22