What's new

UnderClocking Overheating AC56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zyu4router

Occasional Visitor
UnderClocking Overheated AC56U

Hi,

I found my new RT-AC56U very hot... it is always above 80°C.
I trying to underclock the CPU to 600 using following commands, but after every reboot it back to 800.
=======
nvram set clkfreq=600,533
nvram get clkfreq (600,533)
nvram commit && reboot
=======

My Router Info
------------
Model RT-AC56U
Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.376.45
Firmware Build Sun Aug 17 20:14:04 UTC 2014 merlin@1092d2e
Bootloader (CFE) 1.0.2.3
Driver version wl0: Apr 25 2014 11:16:33 version 6.37.14.86 (r456083)
-----------

I hope if someone could kindly help, it seemed quite a lot of people can actually overclocked it to 1000,800. I wonder why I cannot underclock it to 600,533. is there something I did wrongly.

P.S: after I changed TX power to 80%, the CPU temp dropped below 80°C
############################
2.4 GHz: 52°C - 5 GHz: 55°C - CPU: 79°C

Last edited:
80-85C is normal for this router.

I see... thanks for your prompt reply... RMerlin !!!

By the way, does the new CFE no longer allow underclock???

I see... thanks for your prompt reply... RMerlin !!!

By the way, does the new CFE no longer allow underclock???

No idea, I don't deal with the CFE source code.

Thanks to justyourimage

I was able to underclock my hot AC56U to become much cooler router, CPU temp around 70°C, even after I changed back TX power to 100%.

Last edited:
At this moment my AC56U runs with standard clock settings at 69°C. The room temperature is 22°C.

Cooling for RT-AC56U

:( But currently room temperature here is already 28 - 33 °C :(

I purchased an inexpensive USB laptop cooler base which is now attached to the side of the RT-AC56U. The room temperature is around 22 °C and router is around 54 °C.

I purchased an inexpensive USB laptop cooler base which is now attached to the side of the RT-AC56U. The room temperature is around 22 °C and router is around 54 °C.

Thanks for the tips, that is what I am looking for at the moment...
But a bit ugly...:rolleyes:

Why go through the trouble and lose performance when it is designed to run at that temperature?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why go through the trouble and lose performance when it is designed to run at that temperature?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though the CPU may be ok to operate in such high temperature.
But it does impact other electronic components.

My AC56U is overclocked to 1200mhz and I was a bit worried about heat. So I cut out the back using a Dremel allowing the heat sink to get a bit more air. The router temperature is around 67C with just passive cooling.

My AC56U is overclocked to 1200mhz and I was a bit worried about heat. So I cut out the back using a Dremel allowing the heat sink to get a bit more air. The router temperature is around 67C with just passive cooling.

Wow.... overclocked to 1200mhz...:eek:

My poor router living @ tropical can never imagine such frequency. :(

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!