What's new

My experience with the RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've had an RT-AC86U before. And after some while connections were dropping. When I logged into to the router then only a few wireless divices were still connected or only the 4 wired UTP ports. I then needed a reboot to get everything back and running again. But after some while I was rebooting at least once a week. Sometimes even more. Then I got myself the RT-AC2900 a year later. And still having exactly the same problems with this router. I wasn't thinking about a bad thermal design before. But it makes sense. I didn't monitored it's CPU temperatures since it's replaced now. But the housing was really hot when detached it the last time. This AC2900 went even further with failing connections. OVer some time not only the wireless connections dropped, but also the wired connections. So I had to walk over to the router to physically turn the power off and on.

I had the RT-AC66_B1 and the RT-AC68U before and they never gave me problems like this. It actually were verry stable routers which I only looked at for it's updates once in a while. Or maybe rebooted them once a year.

I'm using the RT-AX86S for a couple of weeks now. One of the things I emediately noticed when unpacking was that the model was slightly the same. A little bit bigger though. But one of the other things I've noticed were the massive air vents on this router. Where the AC86U and the AC2900 are completely closed at the front, this AX86S has even airvents at the top of the front. The airvents also look more "open" and they're much more visible.

It's running for a couple of weeks now without a single connection drop. So fingers crossed with this one.

RT-AC2900 is the same router as RT-AC86U. Just different marketing.
Yes I know. They even run the same merlin firmware and the RT-AC86U is even mentioned as basemodel of the RT-2900. Although the AC86U is from 2017 and the AC2900 from 2019 if I'm correct. The power supply was also different. The AC86U used an 12V power supply where the AC2900 used a 19V power supply. However the overall powerdelivery was basically the same. So there actually were some minor changes implemented. And I was actually hoping that a newer model should possibly make anny difference.

I got my money back from the AC86U, and I was thinking that maybe this was just a faulty batch. But quickly after exchanging with the AC2900the same problems started to occur.

They even run the same merlin firmware and the RT-AC86U is even mentioned as basemodel of the RT-2900.

I’m going to write it again - this is exactly the same hardware router down to every capacitor and resistor, marketed as RT-AC86U or RT-AC2900, depending on Asus’ mood.

I mean, there is no they even run the same firmware - it runs Asuswrt-Merlin, one file for this hardware.

I mean, there is no they even run the same firmware - it runs Asuswrt-Merlin, one file for this hardware.
Never tried it, but I suppose my old RT-AC66U_B1 will not be verry compatible with the RT-AC2900 AsusWRT-Merlin firmware.

RT-AC66U B1 is an RT-AC68U variant and runs RT-AC68U Asuswrt-Merlin firmware (and stock Asuswrt as well).

RT-AC68U was also called RT-AC1900 on some markets. The same marketing game as RT-AC86U and RT-AC2900.

RT-AC66U B1 is an RT-AC68U variant and runs RT-AC68U Asuswrt-Merlin firmware (and stock Asuswrt as well).
Yes I know that too, I still have both of those and on both is AsusWRT-Merlin installed. There isn't even an specific AsusWRT-Merlin firmware for the RT-AC66_B1. And the website states to use the RT-AC68U firmware instead. Although I believe it's not supported annymore now. But the point was that they're probably not running the RT-AC2900 firmware because of the hardware differences.

Although I believe it's not supported annymore now.

It is still actively supported by both Asus and RMerlin. The ARM version, not MIPS h/w version B1.

But the point was that they're probably not running the RT-AC2900 firmware because of the hardware differences.

There is no connection between RT-AC68U variants and RT-AC2900. Completely different hardware platform.

There is no connection between RT-AC68U variants and RT-AC2900. Completely different hardware platform.

So we're back to the point I was trying to make here by saying "They even run the same merlin firmware and the RT-AC86U is even mentioned as basemodel of the RT-2900".

I have no idea what your point is... at this point.

RT-AC86U is the same router as RT-AC2900. RT-AC68U is the same router as RT-AC1900.

RT-AC86U is the same router as RT-AC2900. RT-AC68U is the same router as RT-AC1900.
Well, I'm actually saying the same all the time now. Only in different words.
Maybe that's my point.

btw, the hardware of the AC66U_B1 and the AC68U may be the same. But the design is verry different. Maybe they should have given the AC2900 another design too if overheating may have been the problem of the AC86U.

tw, the hardware of the AC66U_B1 and the AC68U may be the same.

It is not. RT-AC66U B1 is a variant of RT-AC68U. Not the same as in RT-AC86U and RT-AC2900 case.

Variant = has some differences, different product. The same = identical, different name only for marketing purposes.

I have no idea what your point is... at this point.

I had a RT-AC68U with a 1Ghz CPU. I still have an RT-AC1900P, on loan to a friend, it has a 1.4Ghz CPU in it. Both of these are rock solid units, but a little lacking speed wise if you use it's VPN client since they have no hardware-accelerated AES support.

To add to the total model/hardware confusion, Asus has a new RT-AC68U variant (V4) with modern CPU and AES, but still the old BCM4360 radios... from 2012. This router is the fastest RT-AC68U to date, but it's not supported by any other 3rd party firmware, except Asuswrt-Merlin. If I count correctly, this must be the 15th version of RT-AC68U, if we include TM-AC1900, Amazon/BestBuy specific products and 4G-AC68U. Asus is on the way to beat this line of products with RT-AX58U hardware variants with regular, gaming and gaming + RGB models. o_O

I’m going to write it again - this is exactly the same hardware router down to every capacitor and resistor, marketed as RT-AC86U or RT-AC2900, depending on Asus’ mood.

How close are the GT-AC2900 (note the "G") and the RT-AC86U? Is it just a RT-AC86U with fancy lights or are there differences in the hardware?

btw, are the temperatures also logged into the router? Can't find logs with temperature info that quickly. Only found a script on this website.
I would like to log my temperatures.

Only found a screenshot of my replaced AC2900 now. Which showed CPU temperatures of 89 degrees. My new AX86S is only reaching to 69 degrees so far. But it may be only a temporary reading.

How close are the GT-AC2900 (note the "G") and the RT-AC86U?

GT-AC2900 is RT-AC86U variant, the same core hardware + RGB controller, different external styling. It runs different firmware with red theme and some extra GT line specific features like VPN Fusion. It also has unlocked 160MHz wide channel. BCM4366E supports 160MHz, but it's disabled in RT-AC86U.

Some creative minds found a way to convert RT-AC86U into GT-AC2900 with functional 160MHz wide channel option.