What's new

Unexpected Asus RT-AX92u factory reset

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kash

New Around Here
Hi, I have 3 Asus RT-AX92u devices running in a mesh setup, connected to a virgin super hub 3 that operating in modem mode.

A few days ago whilst online, I lost connection to the routers. The main router seemed to still be connected to the internet with all white lights, but the other routers in the mesh had lost connection to it. I tried rebooting the mesh routers but still couldn’t connect. I then rebooted the main router, but it now had a solid red WAN light. I couldn’t connect to it using my usual username and password. I tried the default factory username and password and it let me into a setup page as if configuring from new.

I had to factory reset my other two nodes to get my mesh setup again. It seems that my main AX-92u router had factory reset itself. How / Why did this happen? Seems really weird.

Thank you.

Have you allowed Access from WAN , or left telnet or SSH open?

Last edited:
I have had this same experience twice now. It seems to happen a few days after I enable the OpenVPN server.
The admin interface is not open via WAN, I use a custom port, strong password and requireea certificate. So I would rule out that the cause is in the outside world.
I suppose it might be a bug? Pretty bad one.
Anyone else experienced this, or any tips to investigate?

Thanks!
K

Get all 3 units connected. Then go to AI Mesh and click optimise. That will fix it.

The unit comes as a set. As the shop only wanted to replace the set instead of the unit that loses configuration, only after a few weeks of investigation (which would leave me router-less for those weeks), I just switched to the second unit.
And too bad ... this weekend the other unit also lost its config. We woke up and there was no internet (both wired and wireless). All lights were on, but no dhcp, no routing, nothing. I power toggled the unit and it was back to factory default.
Then it is 'just' a matter of uploading the saved config (had to try 3 times), but then I need to initialize the VPN certificates again, etc. Plus, this is not reliable.
As it is the two units, its not just a faulty unit. Something has to be wrong with the series or my environment.
Unless I find an explanation, I will move away from Asus products.

The unit comes as a set. As the shop only wanted to replace the set instead of the unit that loses configuration, only after a few weeks of investigation (which would leave me router-less for those weeks), I just switched to the second unit.
And too bad ... this weekend the other unit also lost its config. We woke up and there was no internet (both wired and wireless). All lights were on, but no dhcp, no routing, nothing. I power toggled the unit and it was back to factory default.
Then it is 'just' a matter of uploading the saved config (had to try 3 times), but then I need to initialize the VPN certificates again, etc. Plus, this is not reliable.
As it is the two units, its not just a faulty unit. Something has to be wrong with the series or my environment.
Unless I find an explanation, I will move away from Asus products.

Some things to consider:

If someone is selling you an AiMesh 'system', I would expect them support it.

If you are permitting WAN access to your network, I would be sure someone is not causing mischief through that access.

If your router is located in an insecure/untrusted location (including less disciplined users or guests), I would be sure someone is not resetting your router acccidently or on purpose.

Bad power can cause weird hardware behavior... I would use a UPS and try a different AC/DC power adapter, if possible.

Since your OpenVPN configuration coincides with the trouble, review that and disable it to see if the trouble clears... and so you can use your network.

And be sure to reset the firmware before you configure it from scratch, to ensure a good install... a first step in troubleshooting, imo.

OE

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback!

- It's not the mesh feature that is failing, it is the main unit. And the support they offer is a replacement
- No WAN access to the system
- No insecure environment
- It happend to two units, used two different adapters, it's on a UPS ... But even then, config should not be gone after a power failure
- It ran without the OpenVPN and it happend as well
- What do you mean with 'reset the firmware'? After it happend, it is as if I took it out of the box.

Thanks for your feedback!

- It's not the mesh feature that is failing, it is the main unit.

The main unit is where most of their/your firmware configuration resides.

And the support they offer is a replacement

Replacing their configuration with their configuration may not resolve an issue... i.e. not much Support in that. Who is configuring the firmware besides your VPN addition?

Restoring a saved configuration may be restoring the issue.

- It happend to two units, used two different adapters, it's on a UPS ... But even then, config should not be gone after a power failure

Firmware/configuration/application being equal, I would expect the same result, especially if the issue is not related to various hardware... the router or connected equipment/power.

- It ran without the OpenVPN and it happend as well

How does the main router behave if you install current stock Asuswrt firmware, reset that firmware to its defaults values, and configure it minimally from scratch (no restoring a saved configuration)? Also disconnect everything from the router to rule out that hardware.

- What do you mean with 'reset the firmware'? After it happend, it is as if I took it out of the box.

Assuming you are configuring your network, try a basic configuration to see how the hardware behaves... try to determine if the hardware is suspect, or the firmware... how it's being configured/used.

Reset FAQ
Reset/Restore
Hard Reset/Restore+Initialize

OE

Just as a side note: If you've swapped around the routers (master vs. node) do not upload a saved config from the old master router onto the the new master. The config file is unique to each device and not transferable. Also, if you're having firmware issues, again, do reload an old config file after a factory reset. If there's a problem with the settings you'll just be importing the same problem.

Just as a side note: If you've swapped around the routers (master vs. node) do not upload a saved config from the old master router onto the the new master. The config file is unique to each device and not transferable. Also, if you're having firmware issues, again, do not reload an old config file after a factory reset. If there's a problem with the settings you'll just be importing the same problem.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!