What's new

Uninstall Merlin FW from TUF AX5400

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

richsmif

New Around Here
Hi,
I bought a TUF AX5400 router and just discovered it has this merlin firmware on it. For the life in me i cant get it removed.
Its running - 386.07_2-gnuton1

I tried factory reset in admin menu \ restore , that didn't work.
Uploading ASUS firmware ASUS TUF-AX5400 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23285
seems to hang - left it for 5 mins. Nothing
WPS button down method - power light goes off and never comes back.

I want this stuff off my router and go back to factory latest approved firmware, how is this possible.

Is there software, or method of forcefully rewriting the flash?

Thanks alot.

FYI You don't "uninstall" the firmware, you just install a different one.

I guess you bought this second hand as it doesn't have stock Asus firmware?

I'd suggest you try and install a 386.x version of the Asus firmware (and then update to 388.x from there). Unfortunately it looks like Asus has removed all of the 386.x downloads from their website.

The last 386.x post I can find was here for 3.0.0.4.386.48664. That download link doesn't work any more but you can still get an older version (3.0.0.4.386.45407) from Softpedia here.

P.S. I think the reason Asus removed the older firmware is that they only support the V1 hardware, whereas the newer firmware supports both V1 and V2 hardware.

Last edited:
FYI You don't "uninstall" the firmware, you just install a different one.

I guess you bought this second hand as it doesn't have stock Asus firmware?

I'd suggest you try and install a 386.x version of the Asus firmware (and then update to 388.x from there). Unfortunately it looks like Asus has removed all of the 386.x downloads from their website.

The last 386.x post I can find was here for 3.0.0.4.386.48664. That download link doesn't work any more but you can still get an older version from Softpedia here.
That is correct yes but just want to install factory firmware.

I'll try and find 386.x firmware.

I cant get the firmware restoration tool to work. Says not in recovery mode.
I have read someone else had the same issue.
i changed the ip address to 192.168.1.10 / 24. Nothing else. I can ping myself and 1.1 so that all works.
You start the tool, 5 second later 1.1 stops responding, gets to 31 and says not in recovery mode.

Obvious the tool crashes.

I read somewhere you have this CFE miniweb server thing but dont know anything it. Going to be last chance before i punt this rubbish out of the door.

I read somewhere you have this CFE miniweb server thing

Must be at default LAN IP address, but no DHCP server. You have to have your LAN card set to fixed IP.

I believe the default LAN IP for your router is 192.168.50.1 though and not 192.168.1.1 - perhaps your Restoration tool issue.

Sorted it. It was to do with the files.
Firmware 388 from Asus don't work.
Download 386 from softpedia as asus has deleted it. Worked via gui. Lol
Then upgraded to 388 Worked.
Asus need to restore the original fw

Thanks all for help

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!